Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2014 EcoBoost vs S197 V6

9K views 145 replies 32 participants last post by  gandy.zachary1 
#1 ·
#110 ·
Before any other changes- intake, exhaust, so on. Maybe the engine rumored for the next hot Focus will have a bigger turbo (giving it the alleged 350 HP).

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

#111 ·
It's looking like before mods on just tuning alone the eb is going to be in the 320-330hp and 330-350tq range.

#112 ·
its very hard for any car N/A to come out on top with a car that has been set up from the factory with boost. ive seen some crazy things come out of even Nissans JUKE 1.6T. simple bolt ons will yield better and bigger power gains plus the fact they can swap turbos and increase the PSI. Its a no contest that the EB will be able to out run the 3.7 as far as the modding game goes.

#118 ·
I agree it would make sense but the only thing that makes me think ford will keep the v6 around is because they spent the time and money designing the new model to have a v6 I would think it would make sense to keep it longer then a year. But the v6s days are definitely numbered.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#120 ·
I'm not talking about new parts just fitting the v6 to the new chassis. There is a night and day difference between doing a one off swap and designing a car for mass production. And with the new chassis even though it's similar to the s197s they still had to go though the drivetrain and exhaust to get it to fit properly as well as set up assemble lines, etc. unless the v6 flops they already have so much invested why drop it after a year?

#124 ·
Did you read any of the threads on this forum ? Lol. It seems the V8 and V6 members are jumping on the "lets hate of the ecoboost" bandwagon.

In all reality I feel that real car enthusiasts will respect anything that is nicely built. The problem is that generally you don't come across a tastefully built Honda, for every 1 nicely built there are 10 that are riced out. It's actually a shame Honda doesn't make a factory turbo car because I'm sure if you combined that with some of their engines it would be a fun car.

#123 ·
Still don't like 4 bangers... I know, I've driven one, they suck.

#127 ·
What is sooooo important ?????????????????

V6
V8
Turbo 4
I think they will be fine in the Mustang. There are a lot of people that would love a four cylinder engine and I know for sure that there are a whole lot that loves their V8.
Some like myself like the 3.7 Cyclone.

Any of these engines can be modified to produce more power.
My last car was a John cooper works Mini and with the 4 cyl. turbo it put out 211 horsepower. Believe me when I tell you that car was super quick. It weighed about as much as a feather.

I think we are going to see a lot of the Turbo-4 Mustangs at the race tracks running ST class.

As far as the V6, It will be around for many years to come. Ford sure ain't gonna use a turbo anything in a rental car fleet. They also don't use many V8's in rental cars. The Mustang is a huge asses for Ford to lease to all of the rental car agency's.

Ronnie

#130 · (Edited)
Turbo vs NA, even with the 1.4 l difference its still apples to oranges. It would be like comparing a turbo 3.7 to a stock 5.0, not a fair fight for the 5.0. There is a replacement for displacement, its turbo lol.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

#131 ·
Turbo vs NA, even with the 1.4 l difference is still apples to oranges. It would be like comparing a turbo 3.7 to a stock 5.0, not a fair fight for the 5.0. There is a replacement for displacement, its turbo lol.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

Exactly

#133 ·
Here's my take on this (part two I guess - heh)

The Ecoboost is a decent enough engine. And you can mod it to maybe 350hp before you start to put a lot of money into it. Figure $28K total spent with some light mods.

Or you can take a $19K '14 V6 and drop a supercharger or turbo on it. $2-4K saved for more power.

Or you can get a $26K '14 GT and do nothing...

All of this which is faster forgets the most basic question. If I had a '14 V6 and put the extra money/difference in price into it, how much would it pound the ecoboost?

#136 ·
The 3.7 will be around for a long time. It is the base engine for the F150 and Mustang, maybe more models to come. IMHO, I would love to see the 2.3-4 replaced by the 2.7-6 that is going in the 2015 F150. It is comparable to the 5.0 at a lot less weight. But only politics can make Ford drop the Mustang's V8. The image of the muscle car demands a V8.

#138 ·
The 3.7 will be around at least until the next refresh. The factory just tooled up for the 15s. That's an absurd amount of money to do 1 year run for an engine they know won't sell well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#142 ·
Ford is probably just hedging their bet on the Ecoboost Mustang by tooling up the S550 for the V6 too...But if the Ecoboost sales are strong enough relative to V6 sales, don't expect to be able to buy a V6 for very long.

#143 ·
Every piece of information and looking at the global situation I can't find a way that the V6 CAN succeed. No premium package, next to no options available, very little marketing for the v6 specifically, and the fact the V6 won't even be offered in some European markets like the UK.

If it does get even close, I will be very surprised.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.