2014 EcoBoost vs S197 V6 - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Livernois's tune is in the ~320HP and 325tq on an early pass of their tune. They still feel tweaks are to be had.
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Is it a sign that the EB is pushing the premod limit by that chart? Or simply an indication of the tuning? This is an unknown territory for me.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I was at a dealer today. Trying to sell me an ecoboost for almost too without seeing it. Meanwhile there was a 2014 gt by a/ track pack for 32k.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Is it a sign that the EB is pushing the premod limit by that chart? Or simply an indication of the tuning? This is an unknown territory for me.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
What do you mean the premod limit?
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Before any other changes- intake, exhaust, so on. Maybe the engine rumored for the next hot Focus will have a bigger turbo (giving it the alleged 350 HP).

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 10-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Before any other changes- intake, exhaust, so on. Maybe the engine rumored for the next hot Focus will have a bigger turbo (giving it the alleged 350 HP).

It's looking like before mods on just tuning alone the eb is going to be in the 320-330hp and 330-350tq range.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
its very hard for any car N/A to come out on top with a car that has been set up from the factory with boost. ive seen some crazy things come out of even Nissans JUKE 1.6T. simple bolt ons will yield better and bigger power gains plus the fact they can swap turbos and increase the PSI. Its a no contest that the EB will be able to out run the 3.7 as far as the modding game goes.
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
its very hard for any car N/A to come out on top with a car that has been set up from the factory with boost. ive seen some crazy things come out of even Nissans JUKE 1.6T. simple bolt ons will yield better and bigger power gains plus the fact they can swap turbos and increase the PSI. Its a no contest that the EB will be able to out run the 3.7 as far as the modding game goes.

I agree.

The s197 will always be prettier tho lol

ig - @bradpigden
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
I agree.

The s197 will always be prettier tho lol

ig - @bradpigden
Especially 10-14.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #115
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
If the turbo does well it'll be the end of the 3.7 and the 3.5 will be Fords V6.

crap
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

15 is going to be the last year for the 3.7 I guarantee it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Especially 10-14.

*only 10-14 lol

ig - @bradpigden
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

I agree it would make sense but the only thing that makes me think ford will keep the v6 around is because they spent the time and money designing the new model to have a v6 I would think it would make sense to keep it longer then a year. But the v6s days are definitely numbered.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

They spent nothing other than a new intake manifold to clear the lower hood line, which will be easily recouped, even if the car only lasts a year. The engine is made to fit the chassis, not vice versa.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They spent nothing other than a new intake manifold to clear the lower hood line, which will be easily recouped, even if the car only lasts a year. The engine is made to fit the chassis, not vice versa.

I'm not talking about new parts just fitting the v6 to the new chassis. There is a night and day difference between doing a one off swap and designing a car for mass production. And with the new chassis even though it's similar to the s197s they still had to go though the drivetrain and exhaust to get it to fit properly as well as set up assemble lines, etc. unless the v6 flops they already have so much invested why drop it after a year?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

That's a very good point i seem to have overlooked. Your argument makes a lot more sense now, but really i feel in the end they're still only out an intake manifold, driveshaft, and potentially catback. We shall see.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's funny most muscle guys like to make fun of Honda guys with there 4 cylinders turbocharged or not but when ford designs the Eco boost its all the new hype
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Still don't like 4 bangers... I know, I've driven one, they suck.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geok.91 View Post
I think it's funny most muscle guys like to make fun of Honda guys with there 4 cylinders turbocharged or not but when ford designs the Eco boost its all the new hype

Did you read any of the threads on this forum ? Lol. It seems the V8 and V6 members are jumping on the "lets hate of the ecoboost" bandwagon.

In all reality I feel that real car enthusiasts will respect anything that is nicely built. The problem is that generally you don't come across a tastefully built Honda, for every 1 nicely built there are 10 that are riced out. It's actually a shame Honda doesn't make a factory turbo car because I'm sure if you combined that with some of their engines it would be a fun car.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Did you read any of the threads on this forum ? Lol. It seems the V8 and V6 members are jumping on the "lets hate of the ecoboost" bandwagon.

In all reality I feel that real car enthusiasts will respect anything that is nicely built. The problem is that generally you don't come across a tastefully built Honda, for every 1 nicely built there are 10 that are riced out. It's actually a shame Honda doesn't make a factory turbo car because I'm sure if you combined that with some of their engines it would be a fun car.

I don't hate it I just don't like the idea of it we'll see what happens with them in the near future . And for Honda they should have a turbocharged engine and 1/10 lol I have a 92 integra best time with my blown ls nonvtec motor was 12.81 but never got any credit from the domestic world always hate even after beating someone it was always I missed a shift or your car is so light which is not weighs the same or if not more then my 14 v6 long story short there's always gonna be haters I'm just not a fan of the ecoboost and comparing a n/a motor to a aspirated motor doesn't seem fair
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Comparing a motor with 1.4 more liters though is? Food for thought.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #127
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What is sooooo important ?????????????????

V6
V8
Turbo 4
I think they will be fine in the Mustang. There are a lot of people that would love a four cylinder engine and I know for sure that there are a whole lot that loves their V8.
Some like myself like the 3.7 Cyclone.

Any of these engines can be modified to produce more power.
My last car was a John cooper works Mini and with the 4 cyl. turbo it put out 211 horsepower. Believe me when I tell you that car was super quick. It weighed about as much as a feather.

I think we are going to see a lot of the Turbo-4 Mustangs at the race tracks running ST class.

As far as the V6, It will be around for many years to come. Ford sure ain't gonna use a turbo anything in a rental car fleet. They also don't use many V8's in rental cars. The Mustang is a huge asses for Ford to lease to all of the rental car agency's.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My only argument against this would be for rentals. As how the Taurus and Crown Victoria lasted several years "after production ended" for rental and fleet services. I don't see it as a fleet car, but would expect it as a rental.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Comparing a motor with 1.4 more liters though is? Food for thought.

That is another point. I'm just not a fan of the Eco boost in a fusion..... Cough sorry I mean mustang
Old 10-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo vs NA, even with the 1.4 l difference its still apples to oranges. It would be like comparing a turbo 3.7 to a stock 5.0, not a fair fight for the 5.0. There is a replacement for displacement, its turbo lol.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Turbo vs NA, even with the 1.4 l difference is still apples to oranges. It would be like comparing a turbo 3.7 to a stock 5.0, not a fair fight for the 5.0. There is a replacement for displacement, its turbo lol.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

Exactly
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

No, that is in fact exactly my point, the reason the 2.3L is competitive with the 3.7 is because of the turbo. If it were an all motor 2.3L there would clearly be no contest.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here's my take on this (part two I guess - heh)

The Ecoboost is a decent enough engine. And you can mod it to maybe 350hp before you start to put a lot of money into it. Figure $28K total spent with some light mods.

Or you can take a $19K '14 V6 and drop a supercharger or turbo on it. $2-4K saved for more power.

Or you can get a $26K '14 GT and do nothing...

All of this which is faster forgets the most basic question. If I had a '14 V6 and put the extra money/difference in price into it, how much would it pound the ecoboost?
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post

The Ecoboost is a decent enough engine. And you can mod it to maybe 350hp before you start to put a lot of money into it. Figure $28K total spent with some light mods.

Or you can take a $19K '14 V6 and drop a supercharger or turbo on it. $2-4K saved for more power.

All of this which is faster forgets the most basic question. If I had a '14 V6 and put the extra money/difference in price into it, how much would it pound the ecoboost?

👏👏
Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post

That argument was was valid when people were deciding to either buy a 14 or wait for the 15's a few months ago but not really a valid argument anymore because you can't buy 14's new anymore. Sure if your willing to take the scraps of the scraps that are left but its not like you can walk into Ford and buy a 14 the way you want it. In a year or so Ford will probable offer some sort of rebates as well at times once all the people who have to have one right away get theirs and pay MSRP. And there is only around a 1500 difference between a Base V6 and base ecoboost so its not that much of a difference when you compare apples to apples (new to new).

Your best 'Bang for the buck' will NEVER come from buying a new car so the whole "you can buy a 14 for 19 and mod it is a stupid argument. I can buy a 6k LS1 Z/28 and put 2 grand in or a 5.0 fox body for 2 k and put 6 k into it and smoke a 14 V6 with 8 K in mods or a new 5.0 and be faster for less then a third of the cost. Point being that buying used will always yield a bigger 'bang for your buck' then buying new. Fact is some people just want new cars in which case there not looking to maximize HP per dollar spent.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The 3.7 will be around for a long time. It is the base engine for the F150 and Mustang, maybe more models to come. IMHO, I would love to see the 2.3-4 replaced by the 2.7-6 that is going in the 2015 F150. It is comparable to the 5.0 at a lot less weight. But only politics can make Ford drop the Mustang's V8. The image of the muscle car demands a V8.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
The 3.7 will be around for a long time. It is the base engine for the F150 and Mustang, maybe more models to come. IMHO, I would love to see the 2.3-4 replaced by the 2.7-6 that is going in the 2015 F150. It is comparable to the 5.0 at a lot less weight. But only politics can make Ford drop the Mustang's V8. The image of the muscle car demands a V8.
No don't think so bud, they already pulled the 3.7 from the f150

Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

The 3.7 will be around at least until the next refresh. The factory just tooled up for the 15s. That's an absurd amount of money to do 1 year run for an engine they know won't sell well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The 3.7 will be around at least until the next refresh. The factory just tooled up for the 15s. That's an absurd amount of money to do 1 year run for an engine they know won't sell well.

Doubt that, they only offer the 15 3.7 I'm a base package for 1, they pulled it from the f150 already for 2.
Not looking good

Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Doubt that, they only offer the 15 3.7 I'm a base package for 1, they pulled it from the f150 already for 2.
Not looking good

Next refresh as in the new engines, like the rumored voodoo in 2016. If they axe the coyote, they'll definitely get rid of the 3.7 at the same time.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang