New (to me) Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
New (to me) Mustang

Hey everyone,

So I picked up my 2013 about two weeks ago. I've wanted a Mustang ever since I started driving 13 years ago and after several "right price, right purpose" vehicles, I was ready to get what I wanted. With my 7 year old SUV about to hit 100k and take a huge hit in value, along with various paint defects and transmission issues, I managed to get a good deal more than I owed on trade-in. The decision was down to a 2013 V6 Premium with Pony package, or a 2012 GT that was as base as it comes, both with similar mileage and the GT about $5k more. After talking with my insurance company and finding my rates would double with the V6 and go up another 50% above that with the GT, the decision was made (the rates were despite 0 tickets, 0 wrecks, good credit, and multiple coverage discounts) and so far, I'm loving it! I took a trip to Auburn to watch my Tigers play LSU the first weekend I had it and got 31mpg on the interstate!

I'm sure yall are all ready for questions, but I don't have any yet; I've spent some time researching and lurking and know the direction I want to go. First up will be some 3.73 gears and a Borla ATAK system with BBK shorty headers, followed by some new tires in the next year or so. This is my daily driver and 90% of my driving is around town (I regularly got 3-4 weeks on a tank @ 20mpg in my SUV) if I don't take a trip home, so unfortunately no FI until I pick up the next generation Mustang in 5 years and this becomes a toy. I also won't be getting a SCT tuner for another 12k miles.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hey and introduce myself before I started randomly popping into threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyMustang.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	773.1 KB
ID:	167812  
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
welcome and nice car.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hello, I believe with the 3.7 gears a tune will also be needed so you might want to keep that in mind also.

Other than that, great looking car
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Yeah, I am going to discuss with the service manager when I take it in for the first oil change. I've read mixed stories about dealers keeping the warranty in-tact with gear swaps, even though they might have to find a local mom/pop shop to adjust the speedometer. The dealership seems pretty laid back. When I left the car there on a Friday to think about it over the weekend I told the salesman if he could get the interest rate I wanted I would bring him a 6-pack of homebrew. When I showed up to sign papers he asked if I was gonna drink one there with him, lol (and I did pay up with a nice IPA, amber, and pumpkin ale).
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If the dealership installs Ford Racing gears, in a factory ratio option (3.31 and 2.73 for the v6) they can recalibrate the speedo and maintain your warranty. That being said, plan on spending about 5x what you would anywhere else for that option.

For what my dealer was going to charge to put 3.73s in my GFs V6, it literally would have been cheaper to just get this:
Ford Racing Mustang SVT Rear Axle Assembly M-4001-A373 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

Plenty of guys on here who know this car though, so i'm sure someone will get you pointed in the right direction before too long . Congrats on the new ride.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

For what my dealer was going to charge to put 3.73s in my GFs V6, it literally would have been cheaper to just get this:
Ford Racing Mustang SVT Rear Axle Assembly M-4001-A373 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Really? to think I was going to get a quote for the same kind of installation
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
... I've read mixed stories about dealers keeping the warranty in-tact with gear swaps, even though they might have to find a local mom/pop shop to adjust the speedometer...
I've had my V6 for over four years and it has 56K miles. I bought an extended warranty and service package. I took it to a local diesel truck speed shop to have 3.73s installed for $350.00 (I furnished the gears, they furnished the fluids). I put a BAMA 93 tune on it which I know to turn off for annual safety inspections. I take the car in to my dealer every 5K miles (with the tune intact) for oil changes and tire rotations. It needed a water pump at 35K. My Ford service guy knows what I've done and has never said a thing. To date I have never spent an extra cent at my dealer for anything. Your choice but I think the rumors about cancelled warranties for mods maybe overstated.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If the dealership installs Ford Racing gears, in a factory ratio option (3.31 and 2.73 for the v6) they can recalibrate the speedo and maintain your warranty. That being said, plan on spending about 5x what you would anywhere else for that option.

Plenty of guys on here who know this car though, so i'm sure someone will get you pointed in the right direction before too long . Congrats on the new ride.

And I'm definitely not against a whole new rear end. I would probably go ahead and throw in the aluminum driveshaft if I went this route, get it all done at once. I've decided I'm not going to take shortcuts with this car, so additions will come slower but, as with other hobbies, I've learned "buy once, cry once" is a perfectly fine way to go about things.

Might just take what I was saving for a SCAR-17 and put it to the Mustang...

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I've had my V6 for over four years and it has 56K miles. I bought an extended warranty and service package. I took it to a local diesel truck speed shop to have 3.73s installed for $350.00 (I furnished the gears, they furnished the fluids). I put a BAMA 93 tune on it which I know to turn off for annual safety inspections. I take the car in to my dealer every 5K miles (with the tune intact) for oil changes and tire rotations. It needed a water pump at 35K. My Ford service guy knows what I've done and has never said a thing. To date I have never spent an extra cent at my dealer for anything. Your choice but I think the rumors about cancelled warranties for mods maybe overstated.
I may be overly cautious until the 36k warranty runs out. I also am still researching laws here, first time living in a state with inspections. Apparently modifying exhaust at all is illegal, but there's tons of jacked up F-150s running around that could wake the dead.

I see Bama has grown a bit since my Explorer. I remember going to Doug's house for a dyno day and running on the dyno in his front yard. (you may notice my love for Mustangs in my truck's wheels...)

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
dlm
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Nice car
dlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Nice car!
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Amazing

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang