Tint templates for side markers etc.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Tint templates for side markers etc.?

Does anyone know if there are any templates for the 2014 of the side markers, tail light inserts, headlights etc.?

I went to my local shop and they were kind enough to give me some 35% tint for free so I could mess around with it. I want to tint all of my side markers and such but I am trying to figure out what the best technique to get a perfect fit.

I thought somebody might know of some outline templates I could print off and cut against. I searched but failed.

If anyone has any tips on making the templates myself from my car, I'd love to hear them! I tried tracing with a paper against the car but it is a little tough to get an accurate surround. Especially for the taillight inserts.

Any input appreciated!!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
My first thought would be to just wrap a small piece as best you can smoothly and lay it down like you're applying it, then cut away the excess with an xacto knife or razor blade.

Of course, the "best method" would be to pop out the light housings and wrap them that way.

The front side markers would be a task though. You have to remove the front bumper and unscrew the backs and then they pop out the back. Found that out swapping my bumpers.
The quarter panel signals just pop out I believe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Sorry this isn't a direct response and not trying to hijack but curious if you've considered using the "smoke" platidip on your side markers?

I have the tint on my side markers and will be swapping front bumpers soon. THought since I'd have them out I'd try plastidipping the sidemarkers and see if the result is comparable/better than the tint.

To be clear, I actually like the tint quite a lot. Wish I had kept the packaging, I'd have sent you the cut outs and you'd have a great template to work with.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Sorry this isn't a direct response and not trying to hijack but curious if you've considered using the "smoke" platidip on your side markers?

I have the tint on my side markers and will be swapping front bumpers soon. THought since I'd have them out I'd try plastidipping the sidemarkers and see if the result is comparable/better than the tint.

To be clear, I actually like the tint quite a lot. Wish I had kept the packaging, I'd have sent you the cut outs and you'd have a great template to work with.
Plastidip is just going to fully black it out. It won't be a smoke effect. It's just adding a thin layer of rubber.

There's spray able "smoke" paint, but imo, it always looks cheap.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I didn't have to remove the bumper when I pulled the front I just took off the bottom cover and I could reach under and unbolt the markers it only took me about 15 min with a drill

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandneutral View Post
I didn't have to remove the bumper when I pulled the front I just took off the bottom cover and I could reach under and unbolt the markers it only took me about 15 min with a drill

Didn't think about that, but I guess you could!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I painted mine with night shade and I think it turned out pretty good when I get brighter bulbs it will look better at night. I'd send pictures but it rained today so my cars nasty right now

Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

How many coats did you go with Nite Shade? From the videos, it seems as if anything above 2-3 coats blacks out the light output.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hehe about that I put 3 coats each and it's pretty dark but you can see the light at night and if there is light during the day at the right angle you can still see the yellow and red

Old 10-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tint templates for side markers etc.?

There's a nice layer of filth on the lenses but that's cuz the cars dirtyClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1413336482.108360.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	765.9 KB
ID:	167833Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1413336496.590514.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	741.8 KB
ID:	167834

Tomorrow morning I'll take some during the day

Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
One layer of black plasti dip is perfect tint

colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Region: Indiana
Ebay sells a full precut tint kit for $30...
BlackedOutStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Plasti Dip Smoke | Plasti Dip Interntional

That's the stuff I was wanting to experiment with.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Plasti Dip Smoke | Plasti Dip Interntional

That's the stuff I was wanting to experiment with.
That looks interesting. I can only find it by the case, though. Not looking to spend $40+ to test it with 5 left over bottles lol.

Edit- I lied. According to Lowes, they should have it in my local store for $8. I'm going to head over there today and pick one up (if they actually do have it) and let you know how it works/looks.

Re edit - reviews seem ****ty. I'll pass lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang