Front wheel spacers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Front wheel spacers?

Hello, does anyone have 1" or 1"5 inch wheel spacers in the front of your mustang? I have 5/16 and my center caps for my rims still dont fit so i was thinking about going 1 or 1.5 inch all around. I have 20x8.5 rims all around, would it fit in the front without any tire rub against the fender?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	167840  
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1" or 1.5" spacer? No way in hell would i run that. Even if it was hub centric, you're basically taking the weight off the hub and putting it on the wheel studs, which will break them. Not to mention the fact you'll need much longer (likely ARP) Wheel studs to insure adequate threading. You're asking for problems with that big of a spacer, i certainly would not risk it.

Are those rims designed for a Mustang? Sounds like you ended up with an offset thats WAY off somehow.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting, people seem to be more than content with their wheel spacers based off the reviews on american muscle. The offset is a little higher, 40 i believe but based off the American muscle guide, they can handle max 22'rims with 35-50 offset
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Agreed with Volt. That is way too much of a spacer. Those rims were not meant to go on that car with that kind of offset.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

To clarify i dont need a 1inch spacer minimum for the center cap to fit, i probably need 1/16 of an inch bigger to seat the cap perfectly flush. Have 5/16's on the front at the moment
Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
To clarify i dont need a 1inch spacer minimum for the center cap to fit, i probably need 1/16 of an inch bigger to seat the cap perfectly flush. Have 5/16's on the front at the moment
The biggest single spacer I see is 5/16th on AM. Then the hubcentrics like this one, but it's just shy of 1", sketchy.

http://m.americanmuscle.com/eibach-spacers-25mm.html

Might check Jegs or Summit for a 7/16ths. Just make sure the bolt pattern is correct.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the wheel offset isnt that bad, its a bit higher, the black ball on the hub doesnt stick out past the wheel, im talking about 16's of an inch here nothing more than that. I was just curious about the 1-1.5 inch spacers
Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Some good information

I take it you already removed the clips from the studs that held the disc on for assembly line purpose.

Here is some good information on Wheel spacers for you to know.
Installing Wheel Spacers- How to

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

How thick is that clip? thick enough to not let the wheel sit down all the way not allowing the cap to sit flush?

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Im going to have to double check, can't remember
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No, Its basically paper thin. What are those wheels from? If you're not in them for too much i'd honestly just sell them and get some proper wheels. Seen a lot of broken fenders / damage from when the studs break and the wheel falls off. By the time you get some proper Hub Centric spacers and longer ARP studs you're going to be in it for a few hundred anyways...
Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
No, Its basically paper thin. What are those wheels from? If you're not in them for too much i'd honestly just sell them and get some proper wheels. Seen a lot of broken fenders / damage from when the studs break and the wheel falls off. By the time you get some proper Hub Centric spacers and longer ARP studs you're going to be in it for a few hundred anyways...
Are you talking about with the spacers? My rims are 20x8.5 bolt pattern is 114.3 and the offset is 38.

According to American muscle, 22 is the max wheel size and the wheel well can fit from 35-50mm Offset. Ive had my rims on for about 9 months and have had no problems with them. I do my tire rotation every 3k miles and visually inspect my suspension components. A few friends of mine even have the same wheels and none of us have had problems
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The offset on the rims from american muscle average about 33-35 Also so mine isn't to off
Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, im talking with spacers, since the weight often times gets put on the lugs.
You're also only taking 1 piece of the equation. a 10" rim with a +42 offset is not the same as an 8" rim with a +42 offset, then theres the back spacing, over all height, lip if any. Theres a lot of factors invovled, you cant just throw a blanket statement like "The offsets are similar" on there.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well the average i listed actually comes from 20x8.5 rims.. but I get what your saying. I am in the market for the new MMD Axim wheels, However I'm currently tackling my suspension. I haven't had any trouble with my current rims, the offset is a bother. OCD like that
Old 10-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
To answer this question

Quote:
How thick is that clip? thick enough to not let the wheel sit down all the way not allowing the cap to sit flush?
The clips were only put on for when the car was on the assembly line. On some NON-FORD wheels they will not let the wheel lay flat against the hub and must be removed. They are really not needed at all after the car came off the assembly line.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I personally don't like the idea of a wheel spacer on the front wheels. Just so many more factors that can cause failure on the fronts. All I can say is definitely make sure you go with a quality brand or else something like this can happen.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think theyre was confusion, i had meant wheel Adapters and not spacers.

Anyways, love the response he gave, knew exactly what happened

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang