Long tube header installation. Tips? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Long tube header installation. Tips?

Hey guys, after almost pulling the trigger on some gears I found a killer deal on some BBK ceramic coated long tube headers and catted x pipe. I got my packages yesterday and plan on installing them in the next week or two if I can make enough time. I've heard the install is pretty time consuming and I would like to save as much time as I can while making sure the job is done correctly. For those of you who have installed LT's on your 3.7l, do you have any information to give me that you wish you had know prior to tackling this install, or any tips that might help me out?
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mark where your OAP lines up with your mid pipes. I know you'll be replacing the mid pipe with the LT headers, but theres really nothing holding the OAP in place other than the muffler mounts, so they can get all cocked and skewed and your mufflers will be out of whack (or worse, rattling). That will basically just give you some sense of where "level" is when you put them back on.

When installing the o2 sensors when you're done, twist them backwards a lot (imagine unscrewing them) to wind the wires the opposite way, that way when you screw them in the wires will unwind and end up normal (not twisted or stretched).

PB blaster is your friend. Use it liberally on the exhaust bolts to break rust / grime.

A warm exhaust makes it easier to get O2 sensors out and other things loose since the metal expands a tad. Have some good gloves and try to get in there early.

Really, the rest just comes down to your tools and experience i think.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Voltwings, that you very much! I never would have thought about marking the OAP or straightening out the O2 wires. Again, thank you I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Volt gave some sound advice. If you have access to a lift, use it. It will be very difficult jacked up on your back.

If the bolts are anythingnlike mine, you'll need all the leverage you can get.

It will come with O2 extensions, but you shouldn't need them if you route the cables properly. It's best to avoid them if possible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
Voltwings, that you very much! I never would have thought about marking the OAP or straightening out the O2 wires. Again, thank you I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lol ask me how i know this NOW
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've found it easiest to unplug the O2's then switch them over to your new midpipe with them off the car. You'll need some deep sockets and extensions to reach all of the bolts so make sure you have some on hand.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

We wont be tackling headers on my GFs v6 for a few months still, but on other cars i've done headers on a good set of ratcheting wrenches has come in handy. Can anyone see a use for those on this car? I've yet to really get under there and "study" the layout so to speak.

Stuff like this? Got my set from autozone for like $30 i think, so far so good... knock on wood lol
Craftsman 9/16 in. Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench - Tools - Wrenches - All Open Stock Wrenches
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Have a friend helping you, LOTS of patience, and lots of free time. If you don't have a lift or experience doing headers before, expect 8+ hour install.
I had a PITA time installing my shorty headers this weekend, and this will be much harder.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
We wont be tackling headers on my GFs v6 for a few months still, but on other cars i've done headers on a good set of ratcheting wrenches has come in handy. Can anyone see a use for those on this car? I've yet to really get under there and "study" the layout so to speak.

Stuff like this? Got my set from autozone for like $30 i think, so far so good... knock on wood lol
Craftsman 9/16 in. Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench - Tools - Wrenches - All Open Stock Wrenches
God yes. Those bottom header bolts were a PIA. The tubes block access from the top so you have to worm your way up from under the car or just barely get it in between them and make tiny turns with a box end.

Thankfully the guy helping me had a lift and a good selection of tools.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had to get set for mine. Grabbed some Huskys, really helped out.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:

Flex head ratcheting wrenches made the header bolts on my Borla LTs a walk in the park. I feel like they paid for themselves in that one use haha.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Flex head ratcheting wrenches made the header bolts on my Borla LTs a walk in the park. I feel like they paid for themselves in that one use haha.

Sent from the Death Star.
Will a Flex head ratcheting wrench really make things go smoother? I do not see why a normal ratchet won't work? Is it because the flex heads fit where the ratchets cannot?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will a Flex head ratcheting wrench really make things go smoother? I do not see why a normal ratchet won't work? Is it because the flex heads fit where the ratchets cannot?
You'll see very quickly why when you're trying to fasten the new header on
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
You'll see very quickly why when you're trying to fasten the new header on
Lol after this statement ill be buying a flex ratchet. Will i only need a flex ratchet for bolting the headers in place( will I only need one size)?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol after this statement ill be buying a flex ratchet. Will i only need a flex ratchet for bolting the headers in place( will I only need one size)?
Technically, yes. But I'd go ahead and get at least a small set of them. Useful little buggers to have.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

13mm for the header bolts
15mm for the cat bolts if I remember correctly.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Since you're doing LTs, you won't really have to mess with the cat bolts, if you're careful. You'll have to change the midpipe anyway, so unbolt the manifolds from the block, unplug the O2 sensors and unbolt the midpipe from the catback, then slowly and carefully wiggle that whole assembly out. It'll save you time and frustration.

Just be aware that sh*t is heavy, so two people is a good idea.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since you're doing LTs, you won't really have to mess with the cat bolts, if you're careful. You'll have to change the midpipe anyway, so unbolt the manifolds from the block, unplug the O2 sensors and unbolt the midpipe from the catback, then slowly and carefully wiggle that whole assembly out. It'll save you time and frustration.

Just be aware that sh*t is heavy, so two people is a good idea.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely take all of this info and use it when I'm doing the install
Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Have a friend helping you, LOTS of patience, and lots of free time. If you don't have a lift or experience doing headers before, expect 8+ hour install.
I had a PITA time installing my shorty headers this weekend, and this will be much harder.

8+ hours really? That's was the time I took to change a clutch on my integra lol and we wrapped it up into like 6 hours
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geok.91 View Post
8+ hours really? That's was the time I took to change a clutch on my integra lol and we wrapped it up into like 6 hours
Well we had literally no experience.
That's including time going to the store to get the tools we realized we needed, lunch break, a few breaks for the rain to stop, trying to figure everything out. We also really took our time to be safe and do it right since it was our first time doing headers ever.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Ahh lol bet that was a fun day
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Well we had literally no experience.
That's including time going to the store to get the tools we realized we needed, lunch break, a few breaks for the rain to stop, trying to figure everything out. We also really took our time to be safe and do it right since it was our first time doing headers ever.
I am in the same boat you once were in. Looks like ill have to set aside about 8 hours haha
Old 10-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I am in the same boat you once were in. Looks like ill have to set aside about 8 hours haha
I was lucky enough to get them put in by BBK. They state it took them 3 hours with lift and used 2 hours to heat cycle the motor to make sure there is no exhaust leaks.

Which you may want to do once you get them put on fully. Something I would of never thought about.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #24
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Yeah, it's biggest help is on the passenger side. A socket/ratchet set-up doesn't fit and a standard ratcheting wrench hits the line that runs above where the headers met the block, keeping it from ratcheting. The flexhead lets you angle it around the hardline. Not sure about BBKs but my Borlas replaced the header stud/nut set-up with regular header bolts, so that may have made things a bit harder for me haha. Either way, lot of good info in this thread that should help you out.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I finished installing the headers and mid pipe today. Just want to say thanks you all for the advice you gave. The flex head ratchet wrench and taking the headers and mid pipe off in one piece saved me a lot of time. The car is insanely loud now. I am considering changing my Borla ATAK's because I can hardly drive the car without turning peoples heads lol. Apparently once I break the headers and x pipe in it will become slightly quieter, but I doubt that will happen. Hopefully I won't be getting pulled over haha..
Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I finished installing the headers and mid pipe today. Just want to say thanks you all for the advice you gave. The flex head ratchet wrench and taking the headers and mid pipe off in one piece saved me a lot of time. The car is insanely loud now. I am considering changing my Borla ATAK's because I can hardly drive the car without turning peoples heads lol. Apparently once I break the headers and x pipe in it will become slightly quieter, but I doubt that will happen. Hopefully I won't be getting pulled over haha..
The headers do quiet down after maybe 200 miles or so

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The headers do quiet down after maybe 200 miles or so

I am surprised, yet also grateful lol. Does it quite down just a little bit, or is it a pretty noticeable difference? I am considering installing resonators if it is still too loud.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Not a whole lot. They'll quiet down maybe 25% or so. It's still going to be pretty loud.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not a whole lot. They'll quiet down maybe 25% or so. It's still going to be pretty loud.

That might be what I am looking for.

I have also noticed that my cylinder head temp is hotter than it was before. Before it would always be at 199 degrees. Now it is always fluctuating anywhere from 203-210 degrees. Does anyone know why this is? I though ceramic headers where "cooler" than the stock cast iron ones.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The ceramic coating only stops radiant heat in the engine bay. It's a much larger header, so the slight increase of temperature on the head is pretty normal.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The ceramic coating only stops radiant heat in the engine bay. It's a much larger header, so the slight increase of temperature on the head is pretty normal.

Awesome. Thank you!

Out of curiosity, what is your exhaust set up? What axle backs are you running?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Normal temps. I hover around 204 with ceramics.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

At the moment I'm running the pypes mid muffler catback. Which amounts to straight pipes with a resonator in the middle.

But since my gear swap it's too much drone so I'm swapping to my original over axles and a set of Borla ATAKS I have sitting in my floor lol

Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
At the moment I'm running the pypes mid muffler catback. Which amounts to straight pipes with a resonator in the middle.

But since my gear swap it's too much drone so I'm swapping to my original over axles and a set of Borla ATAKS I have sitting in my floor lol

Haha nice. I though my set up was loud, yours must be deafening My next plan is to get 3.73s. If you don't mind I would like to know if there is any drone once you get your ATAKs installed. By the way are you catted, or uncatted?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha nice. I though my set up was loud, yours must be deafening My next plan is to get 3.73s. If you don't mind I would like to know if there is any drone once you get your ATAKs installed. By the way are you catted, or uncatted?
It wasn't bad until after 3k rpm. Until then it was just an aggressive rumble. Then it got very loud after that.

The ATAKS won't have any drone from what 90% of the owners say. I was Catted with a BBK pipe, I just recently switched to an O/R pipe. I really didn't feel like it was that much louder. Slight bump in power, but nothing crazy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang