How to: Understand your datalogs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How to: Understand your datalogs

EDIT: I took some of the original screenshots using datalog 04-08-14, but realized it was not a very good log, so I switched to datalog 04-30-14. Datalog 04-20-14 is not a single gear pull, its about a 40 roll in 2nd into 3rd, but it had more data that I was looking to show. Some of the original screenshots may not match, but the point is the same, please disregard datalog 04-08-14.
Also, for those good in excel, I have attached a copy of my template I use for Mazdaspeed datalogs using conditional formatting. It really makes things easy to look at with just a quick glance through the log.

A few things I have highlighted:
A sliding Boost scale
A highlight scale on AFR
Highlight where the car switches from Closed to open loop (the mustangs are full time closed loop, so this doesn't matter)
Since the Mazda is direct injection, I have fuel pressure outside of the optimal range highlighted as well.
Knock ******
I have a highlight on Injector duty cycle approaching 100%
Lastly I have a highlight scale on MAF flow.
I really encourage everyone to poke around with some conditional formatting, As all of the tools in this thread will hopefully make looking through your logs a BREEZE. Now to the good stuff though.

Alright, so I know I preach the importance of datalogging your vehicle to interpret and understand changes, but I realize a lot of people probably don't know where to start, so I figured I'd give yall a rough breakdown and hopefully give you the means of better understanding your mustang.

This is basic. Basic, basic, basic, really just breaking down the log in Excel format and kind of getting an understanding of what you're looking for/at. If this is met with a really positive response, and people are engaged and wanting more, i'll take the time to go through the SCT software as well.

So for starters, I have attached one of my old datalogs and i'll try to walk through it with yall. The one were interested in is called Datalog 04-30-14.

So First thing is first, its a LOT of data and can be overwhelming at first, so the first thing I always do is freeze the top row. This is not meant to be an excel class, so sorry you'll have to be familiar with that on your own . Once you have the top row frozen, your columns will basically always have a header as you scroll up and down so you can see what each column is.

So what are we looking for in a datalog? The answer is anything and everything. Almost every single aspect of your engine can be recorded and interpreted through a log, so lets just start with some basics.

1. Where does the log actually start? So my experience is with turbo 4 cylinders, and knowing where the WOT section of the log started was really easy; its where the boost went positive lol, but how do we tell in the mustang? Well, I'm sure there are several ways, but I think the easiest would be looking at the accelerator position.

Here it looks like 82% is Wide Open Throttle on the mustang (or at least 5.0) platform. Its not uncommon for cars to see less than 100% in this case, you'll notice the mazda log I attached is only about 76%. So we know I'm Wot but... now what? Well, the next thing I like to do is break the log down into 500 rpm segments. Most tuning software is not broken down into every single RPM, they're broken into 500 rpm segments typically and the computer will interpolate between those breakpoints.

Looks like I went WOT right about 2000 rpms in this log, and breaking the log down into these breakpoints makes it easier to analyze. 500 rpms at a time is easier than a single 7000 rpm mass of data all at once.

2. Alrighty, now that the log is broken into bite size chunks, the first thing I always check for is Knock. Here is an excerpt I have shamelessly stolen from JAJ5point0 on another forum to explain what it is we are looking for:

The knock sensor PID is measuring crank degrees in the direction of rotation that are added to or subtracted from the normal (usually borderline knock table) spark timing.

When the KS PID reads positive numbers, it means there are more crank degrees at ignition, which means a spark that happens later than normal, and most people call that ******. A negative number means fewer crank degrees at ignition; sure enough, that's ADVANCE.

When you first encounter it, it seems odd, but once you understand it, it makes sense.

You should normally see negative numbers as the KS looks for incipient knock - that's how the gets the most power out whatever octane you're running. It hunts relentlessly for the edge of knocking. Positive values mean your spark tables are providing too much advance.

In laymen's terms, this means "negative knock," is the computer adding more timing, and "positive knock" means the computer is pulling timing due to actual knock.

Sho nuff, right here we can see the computer adding .05* and 1* of timing respectively. Notice anything interesting? It changes right at a 500 rpm breakpoint , and if you follow that log you'll see a few more changes occur at 500 rpm breakpoints towards redline. This is why we break things out.

3. So now that we know we're good on knock, lets check our fueling using a combination of AFR / Lambse / Short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims. Its a lot to take in, so lets try to break them into useful pairings again.
For those that don't know, Short term fuel trims are instantaneous corrections your computer is making to your base MAF (mass air flow sensor) curve to correct for any anomalies. Since they're instantaneous, I ALWAYS have my computer and datalogger hooked up any time I do anything major in the engine bay and monitor STFTs when I start the car. This is an excellent way to see if you have any vacuum leaks, or if the car is otherwise unhappy. Excessively positive STFTs (typically around 30-40%) are a dead indication that you have a leak somewhere, and can prevent you from driving around under dangerous conditions.
LTFTs on the other hand, are stored averages of the STFTs for given breakpoints. We don't have access to these breakpoints since we don't know how the tune was written, so for now we're just concerned with the values. In my personal application I view it like this:
+/- 2% is good
+/- 5% is acceptable
+/- 8% needs adjusting

So just a plain and simple sweep of the log looking at LTFTs will give us an indication of how our fueling looks since its had a time to acquire some averages. Like I said, STFTs change entirely too much to be accurate at ANYTHING other than idle where the car Is stationary with no throttle application, this is why we're looking at the long terms now.

Here we can see my LTFTs look to be about .99 and 1 respectively (at this specific point, you cannot assume the whole log has these same values!). This means my computer is multiplying the fueling in one bank by .99 (removing 1%) and not making any changes to the other. This is what I meant earlier when I gave the +/- percentages I like to see.
.98 to 1.02 is good
.95 to 1.05 is acceptable
.92 to 1.08 is really getting unacceptable and needs to be adjusted. The MAF curve will change as the weather changes however, you will never get a perfect 0. Just something worth keeping an eye on.

We can also check out our measured Lambda in this shot, which is measured as a ratio to stoich. The Stoichiometric relationship between gasoline and air in our case is 14.7:1, so that's "1" as far as our relationship is concerned. So we can see my Lambda is right about .82, or 82% of 14.7 which means my AFR is right about a 12.0 AFR.

Really as far as 95% of us our concerned, that's enough to check and insure that our car is running well. Are we knocking? And how does our fueling look? Another thing we can do to measure airflow and power potential is measure gains in MAF flow and MAF frequency. Now, this is basically like a drag strip or dyno, you can really only measure against yourself. You cant look at someone with similar mods and say "wow, my max Lb/min of flow with the same mods is like 2x yours, your car isn't running right!" There are way too many factors to accurately say that. What is their altitude? What is the weather there like? Is it cold, hot, humid... Too many factors, so lets try to break it down.

Much like a dyno, we are looking for changes against ourselves. The MAF frequency is the measured airflow coming into the engine. There are several Frequency breakpoints all along the MAF curve (again with interpolation) with a specific fueling target attached to each one. If my MAF curve is even slightly different than yours, my MAF flow value will be different than yours at any given point, and it can look like one of us is flowing substantially more than the other when that is simply not the case.
So again, what we are looking for is increase in MAF flow. This is very difficult to measure due to changes in weather, and all manner of other things, but its something I believe worth looking at.
Lets again maybe just break it down into 1000 rpm increments. Lets say the most MAF flow you saw before your CAI was 40 lb/min in the 5000 rpm range. After the addition of the magical CAI you now see 50 lb/min max in the 5000 rpm range! What does this mean? In a nutshell, we are flowing more air, and making more power! Now, its not quite that simple lol, but looking for changes in flow can be an indication that a mod is doing something, and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, I hope everyone enjoys poking through their datalogs. These SCTs log a TON of data in every pull.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Datalog template.xlsx (26.8 KB, 147 views)
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like the Log did not attach to the OP, so I have included datalog 04-30-14 here.

Edit: Tried 2-3 times here as well but the log just isn't attaching for whatever reason. Yall are just on your own haha.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Holy cow bro. Become a teacher.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I just hope its helpful.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Lol I just hope its helpful.
I have not forgotten about the graphs I said I'd make for you from those data logs. Just been a crazy month of moving, starting a new job, furnishing a two bedroom house from scratch, and then a fair bit of procrastination and exhaustion/laziness. If my gf leaves for Houston soon enough on Sunday I'll try to do it this Sunday evening.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hey its all good man, I forgot what thread we were even going to do those in haha...
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Oh damn! That pretty interesting. Now to view our data-logs after saving do we just open them in EXCEL? Also Did you and Sakib get a chance to look into Shunc01's raw data from when he dynoed his car? i'd love to see how that looked.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, the raw data can just be opened in Excel, or you can use the SCT software to view the data as a line graph of sorts. I'm glad you reminded me what thread that was, i may need to try and go dig it back up so we can sort those things out.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I think he emailed the data to you...or wait no. Sakib i think called the dyno shop to have them send it directly to him. I'll ask Shunc01 if he still has it saved
Old 10-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I think he emailed the data to you...or wait no. Sakib i think called the dyno shop to have them send it directly to him. I'll ask Shunc01 if he still has it saved
Yes I called the dyno shop and they sent it directly to me. It was in PDF format, though, so I'll have to hand-type those in to Excel to do anything worthwhile with it. I shared the PDF with Voltwings and shunc01 by email.

I think I can finally say I've settled down now. This is a good time to take a look at those. I'll try to do get started on it tonight. There is also another data analysis that Voltwings and I were going to work on. Volt - I found that thread now. It was this one: Catless xpipe pros and cons?

And I believe the datalog is from your girlfriend's car. All I gotta do is make some graphs.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, there were 2 (partial) datalogs, stock and MPT. Do your thing man, you're doing us the service so we're working on your time.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Yes, there were 2 (partial) datalogs, stock and MPT. Do your thing man, you're doing us the service so we're working on your time.
+1 Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Yes I called the dyno shop and they sent it directly to me. It was in PDF format, though, so I'll have to hand-type those in to Excel to do anything worthwhile with it. I shared the PDF with Voltwings and shunc01 by email.

I think I can finally say I've settled down now. This is a good time to take a look at those. I'll try to do get started on it tonight. There is also another data analysis that Voltwings and I were going to work on. Volt - I found that thread now. It was this one: Catless xpipe pros and cons?

And I believe the datalog is from your girlfriend's car. All I gotta do is make some graphs.
I see, well he and i will be Data logging our car i believe this weekend. I'll have to double check. He hasnt done any mods or any tuning since the dyno so it will be exactly the same (give or take) as when he got his dyno done.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm curious to know too.. Me and Fintile will be data logging when we have extra time on the weekend.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

What?! Do not spend hours typing that out.

Save the pdf into a .txt file and then open that in excel. Boom. You're done.

Here's a video if you need it:

Convert PDF file to excel file no software needed: http://youtu.be/wU4KVK1KnNE

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you VERY much, Joey! You saved me hours of time. It still took me three hours to do all the analysis I wanted to do, but it would have probably been 5 if you didn't tell me that trick.

Voltwings, Fintile, and shunc01, I posted my analysis on shuc01's old thread just now. Here is the link, check it out: Dyno time
Old 10-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Thank you VERY much, Joey! You saved me hours of time. It still took me three hours to do all the analysis I wanted to do, but it would have probably been 5 if you didn't tell me that trick.

Voltwings, Fintile, and shunc01, I posted my analysis on shuc01's old thread just now. Here is the link, check it out: Dyno time
No problem. After doing IT and project management, I cringe at typing out massive spreadsheets by hand when there is a quicker way haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I still need to review excel more. I'm so far behind
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, using the conditional formatting is what really helped me. Makes it much easier to train your eyes what to looks for when you're not having to pour through tons of data first.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I've got class in 10 minutes :/
I can't wait to read this! Seems like a lot of good info!

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

In my totally objective and unbiased opinion, yes, yes there is

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang