Performance Mods that don't void warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Performance Mods that don't void warranty

Hey guys, I've got a 2014 v6 manual, I was wondering in your experience are some performance mods that you all have been able to do without voiding your warranty. Suggestions and ideas are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It is going to vary dealer to dealer. Honestly I would talk to various dealers around you and find one that is the most mod friendly.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Here we go again.
The "search" button is your friend.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
PedalMax throttle enhancer! Doesn't plug in your ecu or anything and doesn't leave a trace if you remove it before taking your car to dealership for warranty work.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Performance Mods that don't void warranty

sup ryan welcome. from what I know an exhaust and cold air intake will not void warranty. any exterior mods also

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you're worried about losing your warranty, dont mod anything. Styling parts are the only true mods that will not void a warranty.

3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
If you're worried about losing your warranty, dont mod anything. Styling parts are the only true mods that will not void a warranty.

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So If I were to say, install a bama tuner after getting a CAI. Would most dealers in your opinions VIPs the warranty because of it?

Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

tuner will "most likely" void warranty

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tuner will 110% void your warranty

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Tuner will 110% void your warranty

Not true just had a buddy get warranty work on his 3.7 and had bama tune intake and exhaust

stanglife305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglife305 View Post
Not true just had a buddy get warranty work on his 3.7 and had bama tune intake and exhaust

yes varies dealer to dealer though I don't ever work with dealers

Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well his warranty is voided. If the dealer does not know or allows it somehow it is still by Ford's definition voided

Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I thought it would depend on the issue. If you have a tune and your engine blows up, I could see a warranty being voided. If you have a tune and your headlight quits (and it's not just the bulb) why wouldn't that work be covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I thought it would depend on the issue. If you have a tune and your engine blows up, I could see a warranty being voided. If you have a tune and your headlight quits (and it's not just the bulb) why wouldn't that work be covered?

yes u r correct. legally speaking ford has to prove ur tune was culprit for cars failure etc. something along those lines

Old 10-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Tune relates to your power train warranty.
Obviously your 3 year paint/electrical etc warranty is not affected by a tune.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Haha, once had a dealer tell me my tuner caused my blinker to short circuit in my Explorer, despite the tsb info I provided about the tilting steering column stretching wires and being directly responsible. Wanted $60 for looking at it (I had $0 deductible bumper to bumper 100k warranty) and $450 to fix. A quick letter from my aunt on her law firms letterhead changed that. She does employment law but I guess it was enough, lol.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

A CAI will void your warranty as well....
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Any performance mod worth doing will likely void your warranty at *some* dealerships.

As has been mentioned, it varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
This pretty much sums it up your warranty isn't a blanket warranty. If you bring it in for a headlight being burnt out or paint bubbling there not going to check for a tune being installed on the car. But if your car randomly blows an engine or trans that is a high priced warranty claim. Even if the dealer doesn't want to look at it Ford will before they honor the claim. And because the tune effects how the engine operates it would be grounds to void it. You will NEVER get a cut and dry answer on mods that will/wont void your warranty.

Best bet is to stick with light mods if you want to guarantee your warranty will stay in effect. If you do bolt on exhaust, Intake, Shifter, etc and keep the stock parts you can always turn it back to 100% stock if you were to have any major issues.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
This pretty much sums it up your warranty isn't a blanket warranty. If you bring it in for a headlight being burnt out or paint bubbling there not going to check for a tune being installed on the car. But if your car randomly blows an engine or trans that is a high priced warranty claim. Even if the dealer doesn't want to look at it Ford will before they honor the claim. And because the tune effects how the engine operates it would be grounds to void it. You will NEVER get a cut and dry answer on mods that will/wont void your warranty.

Best bet is to stick with light mods if you want to guarantee your warranty will stay in effect. If you do bolt on exhaust, Intake, Shifter, etc and keep the stock parts you can always turn it back to 100% stock if you were to have any major issues.

Very good point, especially considering bolt ons can be changed out fairly easily. I guess I'll wait till closer to the time my warranty is up for a tuner then.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV6Lee View Post
Hey guys, I've got a 2014 v6 manual, I was wondering in your experience are some performance mods that you all have been able to do without voiding your warranty. Suggestions and ideas are welcome!

There are none. Lmao

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV6Lee View Post

In all seriousness you ask a very good newbie question and unfortunately there aren't any power mods that may not void your warranty. You could put a set of after market axle backs on but they are not considered a performance mod and nothing more than sound enhancement.

I'm not sure how a Cold Air Intake would void an entire powertrain warranty especially if there is no tune but then again your not getting performance gains with a CAI and no tune. Or almost no gains if someone cares to argue. Lol.

Unfortunately, there is no completely free ride. If you are dead set against taking a chance on voiding the warranty, the solution is simple. Don't mod! I was so concerned about voiding my factory warranty I waited almost 5,000 miles to purchase my performance tuner and CAI. Ha ha ha.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Gotta pay to play!
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Gotta pay to play!
Also to know your rights and not to roll over for one ****ty dealership lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The mods that wont void your warranty are the ones you can take off before you take it in to the dealer.

Even if you flash back to a stock tune however, they will know. Ford doesn't go in an check parameters and say "oh, that looks different, it must be tuned," They just use a key cycle counter. Basically if your car has 20k miles, but only 2 registered Key cycles, you obviously flashed a map before bringing it to the dealer. They're just less likely to check for something like this if you bring them a stock car... or don't brain fart like my GF and leave your damn SCT IN THE CAR when you take it to the dealership -_-
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Real Tree Air Freshener
Old 10-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The mods that wont void your warranty are the ones you can take off before you take it in to the dealer.

Even if you flash back to a stock tune however, they will know. Ford doesn't go in an check parameters and say "oh, that looks different, it must be tuned," They just use a key cycle counter. Basically if your car has 20k miles, but only 2 registered Key cycles, you obviously flashed a map before bringing it to the dealer. They're just less likely to check for something like this if you bring them a stock car... or don't brain fart like my GF and leave your damn SCT IN THE CAR when you take it to the dealership -_-
I left mine in my car along with full aftermarket exhaust due to an O2 sensor failure.

They didn't even mention the modifications. They argued with me that the O2 sensor wasn't covered under warranty, which it is. I had to call Ford and SHOW the service manager the Federal Emissions warranty.

An odd situation for sure. Granted, it won't go that way at every dealer.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I left mine in my car along with full aftermarket exhaust due to an O2 sensor failure.

They didn't even mention the modifications. They argued with me that the O2 sensor wasn't covered under warranty, which it is. I had to call Ford and SHOW the service manager the Federal Emissions warranty.

An odd situation for sure. Granted, it won't go that way at every dealer.

I had a full header back exhaust and cobrajet top end lol and they fixed my 5th gear synchro ... likely only because of the TSB, or the fact all my parts said "Ford Racing" on them haha but point being if you're worried about it, just do basic mods you can remove easily
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang