My Weekend Project (with no experience) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My Weekend Project (with no experience)

Had a couple of visual mods done to my car this weekend! After hearing the prices that some people paid to get their work done by a shop, I figured I could save a bunch of money doing them myself.

Keep in mind, I have absolutely NO experience when it comes to modding cars/installing vinyl etc. BUT I am also not a complete idiot lol.

This weekend, I changed my upper and lower grille to the Roush grilles. I also changed the stock spoiler to the GT500 spoiler. Finally, I added some RTR hood/side stripes to my car in Lime Green because I wanted something unique (It's kinda hard to see the true color in these pics cuz of the sun).

The grille install was quite intense. Removing the bumper of your baby having never done anything like that was certainly something new. The cutting of the tabs for the lower grille really wasn't that bad either.

For the spoiler, ripping the old one off was also weird. It felt like I was going to snap spoiler while trying to saw it off with fishing wire/pulling. But it was a breeze!

I'm not sure how I feel about the stripes, but seeing as it was my first time ever doing anything of this nature, I figured these stripes would be pretty simple to learn with. They're obviously not 100% perfect but they're good enough to ride around with for a few months until I switch to something else!

So, with that said, if you have NO experience with car mods but want to save a couple bucks, I would suggest trying it out yourself as I must say everything came out quite nicely for a complete beginner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5929.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	168100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5930.jpg
Views:	204
ID:	168101  

Name:	IMG_5936.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	168102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5939.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	168103  

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wow! Amazing job!! Looks really good for a person without any experience in modding cars. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Had a couple of visual mods done to my car this weekend! After hearing the prices that some people paid to get their work done by a shop, I figured I could save a bunch of money doing them myself.

Keep in mind, I have absolutely NO experience when it comes to modding cars/installing vinyl etc. BUT I am also not a complete idiot lol.

This weekend, I changed my upper and lower grille to the Roush grilles. I also changed the stock spoiler to the GT500 spoiler. Finally, I added some RTR hood/side stripes to my car in Lime Green because I wanted something unique (It's kinda hard to see the true color in these pics cuz of the sun).

The grille install was quite intense. Removing the bumper of your baby having never done anything like that was certainly something new. The cutting of the tabs for the lower grille really wasn't that bad either.

For the spoiler, ripping the old one off was also weird. It felt like I was going to snap spoiler while trying to saw it off with fishing wire/pulling. But it was a breeze!

I'm not sure how I feel about the stripes, but seeing as it was my first time ever doing anything of this nature, I figured these stripes would be pretty simple to learn with. They're obviously not 100% perfect but they're good enough to ride around with for a few months until I switch to something else!

So, with that said, if you have NO experience with car mods but want to save a couple bucks, I would suggest trying it out yourself as I must say everything came out quite nicely for a complete beginner.

Good job bro! Looking sexy

Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
nice car Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1413757461.045721.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	168113

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Looks good. Might look into some relatively thin rocker panel stripes of the same color to "balance it out".

I know exactly what you're talking about with the bumper. The first time I did it and heard that loud POP when I yanked it off, my heart sank haha.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
10/10....Sweet job bro! Its nice to see the owners doing their own work!
fox_body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nice. I really like the lime green accents.
115tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
On the passengers side, the accent running on the door (by the mirror) it looks like it's a tiny bit off (had to zoom in to really see it) but nothing major, can barely be noticed! I zoomed in by accident and that's why I saw it lol.
Overall nice job man! You just showed even someone without experience can work on their car; I like the end result
Old 10-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
On the passengers side, the accent running on the door (by the mirror) it looks like it's a tiny bit off (had to zoom in to really see it) but nothing major, can barely be noticed! I zoomed in by accident and that's why I saw it lol.
Overall nice job man! You just showed even someone without experience can work on their car; I like the end result
It's definitely off It was tough getting it to stay in one spot while making sure the rest of the stripe laid smooth across the whole door when doing the initial squeegeeing. I figured I could live with those tiny imperfections as a first timer and improve on my next go, whenever that may be!

JoeyM91, I personally don't like anything around the lower of the car which is why I'd never do any type of rocker stripes. I'm still debating on the RTR look, if I like it or not.

If I didn't do the grille & spoiler myself, I probably would have had to choose one OR the other with how much shops around here charge for installs. Install yourself, have more money for mods!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Followed my girlfriend to Enterprise to drop off the rental car she had for the weekend. I parked and waited outside, she went inside to finish the paperwork. When she came back, she told me that the dude at the counter turned around to his co workers and asked

"Hey, is that Mustang out there with the green stripes one of our rentals?"
"No, that must be a customers"
"Damn, that thing looks bad ***"

Then, went to get breakfast through the Starbucks drive-thru and as soon as we pull up to the window the very first words out of their mouth

"Well, if it isn't the coolest looking people in town... your car looks like a beast! Hey, X, look! It's green, your favorite color"

Then the whole staff came to the window to admire lol.

Finally, a sweet 05-09 GT with considerable appearance/perf mods drove by on the opposite side of the median. We both had our windows down and we both shared a complete 180 stare as we passed each other followed by a thumbsup. Those are always the best.

Feels good.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That is a bad *** looking car dude. What color do you think I should put on my sterling grey with charcoal rim and blue painted calipers?

sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
That is a bad *** looking car dude. What color do you think I should put on my sterling grey with charcoal rim and blue painted calipers?
I feel that since you have the calipers painted blue, your options dwindle down to matching that blue, or getting white/black. That's just my opinion though.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking of matte black. But it is very stealthy looking

sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

Wow that's 100x better than what I would have been able to do given how uncoordinated I am. looks phenomenal
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hey I love those stripes, ever since I saw them on the RTR mustang but I can't find them anywhere, if you don't mind me asking where did you get them?

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Black upper and lower retro billet grille
MMD 551c matte black rims
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno07 View Post
Hey I love those stripes, ever since I saw them on the RTR mustang but I can't find them anywhere, if you don't mind me asking where did you get them?

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Black upper and lower retro billet grille
MMD 551c matte black rims
He probably had a guy fab them.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Nice clean work.

Speaking of DIY work... I saw this jacked up '13 or '14 white mustang yesterday.. it had some quad exhaust DIY job... the tips were crooked, sticking out too far, and he had cut the bumper all jagged looking to fit the extra tips. Then he painted his brake calipers and lug nuts red. Problem is you could see he did it all while on the car, and did a HORRIBLE job as he had overspray on the wheels all over the place.

Made me ashamed to be a mustang owner looking at his POS work.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno07 View Post

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121248172579

And

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131096066381

Wide variety of colors to pick from, shipped very fast and can't complain about the quality. For $80-90 total, I'm satisfied with what I got.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #20

What did you do to get those wheels black?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
What did you do to get those wheels black?
They're part of the appearance package that I got with my car. Spoiler (which I changed to GT500), Louvers, Black 18" Rims, Mirror Covers.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #22

Thanks. I have the same ones but they are just polished aluminum and I was wanting to make them black.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'm not a fan of the green but you did a really nice job. Congrats!
Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Looks good man, nice to see one that's different. Everyone either has white or gray stripes.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Just realized I never uploaded any before pics to get a true comparison.

Here are the befores for side by side. Boy, do those old tips look pathetic lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mustang Before.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	168816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang Rear 2 Before.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	168817  

Name:	Mustang Rear Before.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	168818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5929.jpg
Views:	119
ID:	168819  

Name:	IMG_5939.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	168820  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I used that 2014 mustang customized app to check out my car with some different looks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	168821  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Here's another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	168822  
Old 10-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My car is only a 6 weeks old, still babying it so I'm a little hesitant about adding stripes and other things to exterior. I'll get there eventually.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You know what makes me happy? Is diesel trucks who think they have something haha. Got black smoked and he got rolled on 😂. Just thought I'd share.
TnT0315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang