How to winterize your Mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
How to winterize your Mustangs

Heys guys, as you maybe all know we here in Canada cold winters are bangins our doors, so I'm getting ready to store my baby for the winter. Since it s the first time I was wondering if any of you guys do anything special to your Mustang before letting her sleep for 6 months ?

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
store ur stang? y????? move to California

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I wish !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

A Fellow montrealer!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
ey!!!! lol

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Full tank of gas. Battery tender. That's how I did it with my gt500
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You might need gas stabilizer (I guess that's what its called?) if you're going to leave it standing still for long. Start her + leave it running for a few mins (if you're going to store it in your garage), and maybe move it around to avoid flat spots on your tires.

Or better yet, put a good set of winter tires on and keep that baby purrrrring

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware

Get a battery tender. Either put it up on jack stands or over inflate the tires (make sure to set them to the proper pressure before you take it back out). Put mothballs underneath the car and stuff socks in the mufflers or put the socks over the mufflers. Wash and wax it really good. Get a car cover. Change the oil. While at the gas station, right before you pump the gas, pour in a bottle of fuel stabilizer then fill up.

And finally, don't start it until you're going to drive it. It's better to do one dry start than multiple ones.

Plus you'd have to undo and redo everything to start the car.

When you do restart the car make sure to take the socks out of the mufflers. Ask me how I know... Also, let it run for a few minutes. Let it get up to operating temp before you drive off.

Finally, most importantly, go and stare longingly at it every once in a while and pray for the warm weather to come back.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcauchon View Post
Heys guys, as you maybe all know we here in Canada cold winters are bangins our doors, so I'm getting ready to store my baby for the winter. Since it s the first time I was wondering if any of you guys do anything special to your Mustang before letting her sleep for 6 months ?

Thanks for the info

Start by packing up your house and moving somewhere warmer. Not a beach b/c the sand/salt will kill your paint and underbody. Next don't change anything. You'll be in a better place.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This is the reason I love living in Texas, don't have to worry about all this lol. But from what I've read on different threads about ppl setting up for winter, VIG is pretty much on point.

You need to know the rules, to break the rules
Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
this is what I do in my unattached garage in CT:

I store it cleaned with a cover
Put in 40 psi in tires
A full tank of premium, add Stable before filling to help mix it Be sure to use the funnel in trunk to add Stable!!!
Go for a 1/2 hr drive to help get stable through your fuel system.
I don't have a tender so I hook up a charger 1x month for a few hrs (do NOT over charge)
I park on cardboard approx 1/2" thick (flat spotting) this is not important but free!
If it'll need an oil change consider doing it first.
Cover exhaust tips and cowl intake with painters tape (mice)
I put peppermint & spearmint oil on cotton balls renew 1x month (mice) they sell this as mouse magic? at the farm store but it's cheaper to make your own.
When I go to start it (and I wait till spring) as mentioned remove tape
I also pull the fuel pump relay or fuse and let it crank for two 10 second start cycles to re-distrubute oil at 1st start up...
It's a good time for mods!

remember your oil life meter will count in storage.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandy.zachary1 View Post
Start by packing up your house and moving somewhere warmer. Not a beach b/c the sand/salt will kill your paint and underbody. Next don't change anything. You'll be in a better place.
The beach is nice. I live on a sand street. Just be prepared to wash your car down daily and have a garage

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sandy beach are nice ! I could always drive it down to my florida house for winter and leave it there for winter,,but I have a garage here too..so In Will store it here.

Thanks fornthe advices guys !

Airaid Bama tune
Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok sandy beach are nice ! I could always drive it down to my florida house for winter and leave it there for winter,,but I have a garage here too..so In Will store it here.

Thanks fornthe advices guys !

Airaid Bama tune
Well if you want to leave it in Florida you can leave it here. Ill make sure it gets a workout ))))

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel stabilizer, engine fogging oil spray, I put rubber matts under carpet under the tires....and of course a cover for the car. Run the car like mentioned after putting the stabilizer in the fuel and spray the engine fogger in the intake, remove air filter while doing this.......most important if your going to try to be like a Canadian....its.....EH.....not ey

Bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hope no one took offense to previous...I was just joking about the Canadian thing.....EH

Old 11-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
The owners manual says to move itabout 25 feet every 15 days. Something to do with lubrication.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Not at all bdog !

Airaid Bama tune
Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

Thanks for the info

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417401680.286010.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	170609nuff said

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that must be canadian !

Airaid Bama tune
Old 11-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the info

Canadian resident from the greater toronto area, i just winterized mine today. Full tank of gas with stabilizer, undercoat, washed it real good inside and out, tarp underneath, parked it on foam mats and pulled the battery out (try and steal that sheeiiit, i dare ya lol)
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and i gave her a big kiss til we meet again. seriously, i did.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ah ah thats a good one !

Airaid Bama tune
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Other than parking the car on foam matts with carpet on top.....is there any possibility of flat spotting the tires when leaving the car in one spot for a extended time frame. Should the car be moved every 25 days (like the owners manual recommends)?

So far I've filled it up with premium...put stabilizer in the tank....hooked up a battery tender....and have a three layer dust cover on it... It's also parked in a garage...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417749018.068443.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	767.7 KB
ID:	170986

Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #25
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware

My issue with moving the car every so often is because rather than doing one start after all of the oil has dripped down the heads and all the way down to the oil pan, you're doing it multiple times. Rather than just doing it once when you start the car back up for the season.

This is just one of many reasons I disagree with restarting the car every so often.

Also, bdog, I'd slightly over inflate the tires. Maybe 40psi. That will help. Just make sure to even it back out before you go for your first drive come spring.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Other than parking the car on foam matts with carpet on top.....is there any possibility of flat spotting the tires when leaving the car in one spot for a extended time frame. Should the car be moved every 25 days (like the owners manual recommends)?

So far I've filled it up with premium...put stabilizer in the tank....hooked up a battery tender....and have a three layer dust cover on it... It's also parked in a garage...Attachment 170986

Mine was parked on concrete with a tarp underneath last winter and i couldnt notice any flat spots
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
My issue with moving the car every so often is because rather than doing one start after all of the oil has dripped down the heads and all the way down to the oil pan, you're doing it multiple times. Rather than just doing it once when you start the car back up for the season.

This is just one of many reasons I disagree with restarting the car every so often.

Also, bdog, I'd slightly over inflate the tires. Maybe 40psi. That will help. Just make sure to even it back out before you go for your first drive come spring.

+1 dont start it unless youre takin it for a drive, youll be doin more harm than good
Old 12-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Bdog, flat spots are more of an old time thing. As I suggested extra air in tires and I park on folded up cardboard. but that's only cause it is cheap and easy. I saw someone asking about $250 tire blocks and was thinking they were more willing to spend $ than I was. If on the slight chance your tires develop a flat spot it'll go away in a few miles.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Thx all.....great info....I've heard about the inflation to 40 psi...thx again

Old 12-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

If you are using synthetic oil or a synthetic blend, this is not an issue.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I question the not starting it at all until spring idea, not saying its wrong though. The reason being is, in my circumstance with a heated garage, things shouldn't sit for months on end without any movement. Example, I got lazy with my winter car that has run great for the past three winters, but this year I didn't start it at all for the entire summer. When I started it at the end and of November the alternator was completely seized. Just my 2ยข. People here(Montreal) have to start their cars at -20 sometimes which IMO is much harder on a car than starting it every week or so and letting it run for 15 to 20 minutes in a heated or semi heated garage that will help prevent bearings etc from potential problems in the spring. Can't speak for a non heated garage though this is only for heated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang