Help with 2014 Stereo Wiring! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
To be honest if your looking for good bass your not going to get it from an 8" (subwoofer). The 10" sub and 300 watt amp I have bridged in my car rattles the damn trunk. I had the music on and got out of the car for the first time with it on at my normal playing volume and heard it rattling. I have the head unit turned half way down and the amp about 3/4 of the way up. I'm going to start looking into some dynamat or I'm going to turn the amp down. I was honestly only looking for good bass inside the car I was trying to have no trunk rattle.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
To be honest if your looking for good bass your not going to get it from an 8" (subwoofer). The 10" sub and 300 watt amp I have bridged in my car rattles the damn trunk. I had the music on and got out of the car for the first time with it on at my normal playing volume and heard it rattling. I have the head unit turned half way down and the amp about 3/4 of the way up. I'm going to start looking into some dynamat or I'm going to turn the amp down. I was honestly only looking for good bass inside the car I was trying to have no trunk rattle.
That's exactly what i wanted. I want nice bass to add depth to the stock stereo but i also wanted to be able to actually hear the bass. I feel like the combo i got (and based on the reviews) that it would make at least a noticeable improvement. So far, i have to turn it up a lot to even hear it.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Yeah! Sorry i forgot to post. They sent me a new amplifier, i tried it out and it worked! I then mounted it using the screws provided into the rear seat and it kept going into protection mode. To make a long story short, the design of the mounting holes on the amplifier were causing it to short itself (i have no idea why). I unmounted it and used velcro instead and it has worked ever since.

It is fully working now but i am finding the performance to be lackluster. I have the bass turned all the way up on the head unit, i have the amp gain at ~75% and it still only bumps when i turn the volume up past half way.

I was thinking it was a signal issue, so instead of using the high level inputs built into the amp, i bought a line out converter and tied it into the rear speakers. It helped a bit but it still isn't what i was expecting. I think it has something to do with the speaker signal being sent to the rear speakers by the head unit because if i move the fader to the rear only, the subwoofer sounds really good and punchy, but when i move the fader back to the front, it is almost inaudible because the rest of the sound overpowers it.

So, in short, it has been a mixed bag and a giant hassle.

When it comes to car audio i've found that the quality of audio you get is always based on the quality of the amp. Ive had great subs and ive had garbage subs that have sounded equally good because the amp. ****ty subs can sound pretty good with a good amp and great subs and sound like **** with a crappy amp or if theyre underpowered. I always tell people to go all out on their amp, just did recently with a co-worker that was havin doubts about his current setup. I'm currently runnin 1 powerbass m series 10 with a jbl amp and i had to turn down the bass all the way to the left (negative bass numbers?) as well as the input and bass boost on my amp (both are almost all the way down) and my trunk still flexes almost a half inch in the middle when i pound it. And my amp isnt the greatest but it can handle far more than my sub needs. Your amp seems like it would be sufficient 300w rms is quite a bit, i still recommend goin bigger tho

I fixed some trunk rattle too by putting some of that putty that used to hang posters behind my licence plate.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
When it comes to car audio i've found that the quality of audio you get is always based on the quality of the amp. Ive had great subs and ive had garbage subs that have sounded equally good because the amp. ****ty subs can sound pretty good with a good amp and great subs and sound like **** with a crappy amp or if theyre underpowered. I always tell people to go all out on their amp, just did recently with a co-worker that was havin doubts about his current setup. I'm currently runnin 1 powerbass m series 10 with a jbl amp and i had to turn down the bass all the way to the left (negative bass numbers?) as well as the input and bass boost on my amp (both are almost all the way down) and my trunk still flexes almost a half inch in the middle when i pound it. And my amp isnt the greatest but it can handle far more than my sub needs. Your amp seems like it would be sufficient 300w rms is quite a bit, i still recommend goin bigger tho

I fixed some trunk rattle too by putting some of that putty that used to hang posters behind my licence plate.

I definitely agree with you. The reason I went with the amp was the size of the thing! Literally, it is just a bit bigger than an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 11-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I definitely agree with you. The reason I went with the amp was the size of the thing! Literally, it is just a bit bigger than an iPhone.

Yea it seems an ideal size for our trunks, but lookin at it its hard to believe it can push out a lot of power. What gauge wire are you using? i thought about trying to find a stock sub box that bolts onto the side of the trunk so i could maximize space, but a ported box was too tempting lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea it seems an ideal size for our trunks, but lookin at it its hard to believe it can push out a lot of power. What gauge wire are you using? i thought about trying to find a stock sub box that bolts onto the side of the trunk so i could maximize space, but a ported box was too tempting lol.

I'm using 8 gauge. The manual says 10 gauge or higher, so I'm definitely using the right wiring. It's just strange because all the reviews had great things to say about its power and punch.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Help with 2014 Stereo Wiring!

Quote:
I'm using 8 gauge. The manual says 10 gauge or higher, so I'm definitely using the right wiring. It's just strange because all the reviews had great things to say about its power and punch.

8gauge is decent, 4 is ideal tho. Anything over 10 gauge is a waste of money and potential bass. same guy i recommended a new amp to upgrade his wires from 8 to 4 gauge with the new amp and was blown away by the difference, i heard it before and after and it was night and day.
What sub you got? Rms? 8's dont really have much bass to them either, my buddy has the 8" door subs in his '10 and they pretty much just sound like really good 6x9's
Old 11-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What sub you got? Rms? 8's dont really have much bass to them either, my buddy has the 8" door subs in his '10 and they pretty much just sound like really good 6x9's

I have a kicker 8 inch comp sub in a sealed box. It's 400rms I believe.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a kicker 8 inch comp sub in a sealed box. It's 400rms I believe.

Thats pretty damn good for an 8"! I dont know much about kicker but ive been hearing good things. Honestly, i believe and amp upgrade would make a huuuuuge difference, especially since your sub has more rms than the amp
Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats pretty damn good for an 8"! I dont know much about kicker but ive been hearing good things. Honestly, i believe and amp upgrade would make a huuuuuge difference, especially since your sub has more rms than the amp

I would upgrade the amp if there was one similar in size. So far it is the smallest one I've found.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would upgrade the amp if there was one similar in size. So far it is the smallest one I've found.

How come you want such a small amp?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How come you want such a small amp?

I use my trunk for work, so any loss of space has to be minimal.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:24 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
To solve all of your guys issues you need to get a good line output converter. Replace the door speakers and leave the 8s. Replace doors with 6x8s and add 6x8 to the rear but not in the rear deck. Toss them in the side panels. Amp all the speakers and the sub. This allows you to equalize your sound completely and will transform the sound completely. I did my instal and everyone loves it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418718143.932401.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	171989Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418718168.337838.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	871.2 KB
ID:	171990

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

To add in on the 8" woofer. Jl audio 8w7 is an amazing sub. I've had one in the mustang and still have the sub but it is very impressive for an 8"

Old 12-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Nvx amps are good but only if you run them at the lowest ohm they recommend. If you run one at 4ohm but it's capable of 2ohm it needs to be ran down to 2 ohm or you won't get what you expect out of it unfortunately.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang