Single Mass Flywheel and Alu driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Single Mass Flywheel and Alu driveshaft

So I had an issue several months ago where Ford didn't have a duel mass wheel for me and I ended up putting a Ram Billet Steel flywheel in. The car was new to me, only had a few hours in it, so I can't really comment on the differences between the two- but it revs nice with this one. I am getting a rattling/ chatter sound and am being told by Ford that it's backlash from the lighter single mass wheel.

I've only had my stang since July so I haven't done many mods yet. Put in the Blowfish shifter bracket ( big improvement) and a GT sound tube ( because I like it). I'd like to continue refining the ride of the car and I'm thinking about an aluminum drive shaft next. The car clunks a little on low speed shifts ( where I can hear it) and I've been told this in the stock shaft.

The question is: does anyone know if the aluminum driveshaft with have an effect on the noise created but the single mass wheel? I couldn't live with it getting worse and would really like to quiet it down. Any advise??
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That's just the nature of the beast with a lighter mass flywheel. The clutch really only chatters in neutral, or low speeds, where the driveshaft isn't much (if any) of a factor anyways. I believe it will be fine. Or at the very least not get worse.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Voltwings. Do you know if the AD will quiet down the shifts... those clunks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A lot of people found that the one piece DS helped things, but not me. Maybe acceleration and fuel economy a bit, but that mild clunking sound is now an obvious clunking sound. At low speeds, it can act weird, too.

What I mean is, say it's morning. I hop in the stang, clutch in, first gear, start the engine, let the clutch out smoothly. It pulls to 7-8 mph, kind of bucks, and then is doing like 5. Sometimes it keeps it at 8.

I don't know much about how DS work (beyond the obvious spinning, I mean like the physics), but I believe the two piece is quieter because bit has that play in the middle. That joint (I imagine) would allow some play and reduce noise and aggressiveness.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Crap, I was hoping for something a little more straight forward... hate to jump in when there's been mixed results.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have an auto and the DS helped a lot with vibration in 6th gear at low rpm. Also acceleration

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I don't experience any vibration from it, although I did not note any before. The DSS DS I got seems like a great product.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
Thanks Voltwings. Do you know if the AD will quiet down the shifts... those clunks?

It didn't change much for me. I still have the same chatter, and the clunks will be about the same in my opinion as it's less rotating mass but a more direct driveline vs the 2 piece.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang