2012 Mustang 3.7 w/pony package - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Region: Florida
2012 Mustang 3.7 w/pony package

I know the saying, Buyer beware . I just bought a used Mustang and only made one payment and it's at FORD dealership getting a new synconizer ( mispelled ). The car wouldn't stay in second gear. The transmission had to be removed to replace the part. Will my car ever be the same? It has a lot of miles on it to be a 2012 (49k) but it was all I could afford. It's a sweet car. I feel so let down but thankfully we purchased a warranty. The mechanic told my husband that he had never seen a synconizer that chewed up before.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think you will be just "FINE"

Just ask the dealer to check everything related while it is apart.
The previous owner was probably one of those that liked to downshift every time they had to stop.
I think your Mustang will be OK when you get it back.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Downshifting never ever hurt any car I've owned. And most my cars since the 60's have been manuals. The driver was probably speed shifting or grinding gears when shifting because he can't drive a stick.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Hey Gabby,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. What this indicates is that someone abused the transmission, in advertantly or intentionally. So there are other items that you should get checked out while you're there (and its still under warranty) as Ronnie suggested.

I'd want to know how much clutch is left (since the trans is out, its way easier to change it now), throwout bearing, resurface flywheel if necessary, etc. Check for lash in the u joints, maybe?

As for the miles, that's a lot of miles in two years compared to "average" miles driven true, but 50k is not "high miles" for a car. I bought my 2012 Pony Package with 60k on it back in June. In my case the PO was a total neat freak and real car guy. Q-tip detailer type and it was as clean as dealership lot. The miles don't sweat me at all. I'll be shocked if the engine gets less than 200k.

I think if you go through the car, esp with your warranty, you'll catch anything major and should be ok.

Believe me nothing wrong with buying a used car that you can actually afford. The average car payment these days is well over 400 a month and the average term is in excess of five years. That's pretty tough.

Glad you're able to get this covered with warranty, hope its the limit of your troubles.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Will my car ever be the same?
Nope, it will never be the same...It should be much better! As already mentioned though, while they've got the transmission removed and pulled apart for the rebuild, I would make sure they are checking the rest of the transmission internals to verify that they are all within manufacturer tolerances as well. Anything that is not, needs to also be replaced under your factory powertrain warranty. However, one significant part failure like this should already be a red flag to them, indicating to that it needs to be closely inspected when apart to verify there are no others out of spec either. So hopefully they're already on top of it.

Also, that age and mileage would typically indicate primarily highway miles, which if anything could indicate that the car has led a less streasful life...and if that gets you a good price on a car that makes you happy and meets your needs, all the better!

You can follow my Ford based 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
@GarageOdyssey (instagram and twitter)
Driven5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

2012 V6 Mustang 3.7 with Pony package ( Gabby )

Thank you such much Gentlemen. You Guys are awesome I feel better having your advise and feedback from my post. I took notes from all of you. Ronnie, Justin and midnight 2012 Thank you .

Ford put me in a rental car from Wednesday to next Tuesday so that makes me hopeful that they are looking into the transmission like you all suggested and not just the synchronizer. Wednesday afternoon when it went in the shop they took the transmission all the way out, I saw it on the table and I was glad they told us that it's the original transmission from the factory. My Husband and I were told that the parts were ordered the next day on Thursday. In September the Salesman told us that the previous owner buys a new Ford every two years and that it was time for him to trade in or trade up.

It is so clean and well taken care of on the outside and it drives great except for 2nd gear. I told my Husband from the beginning that second gear wasn't right but when he drove it at first it was fine for him. Later we found out that it wasn't until the car was heated or warmed up that second gear would grind and pop out of gear. My Husband just drove it around the neighborhood at first when I would let him ha,ha, ha. It wasn't until his way back home from driving it on the interstate that second gear eventually starting grinding from him too. I have had 4 Mustangs in my lifetime and two were sticks so I knew it wasn't me. Once you drive a stick you don't forget, it's like riding a bike.

My last Mustang was a 2003 and I had it for 11 years. They sure have improved. I just hope it all turns out fine. I am a very determined person so I will make sure FORD does the right thing.

We are so thankful that we paid extra for the extended warranty that is bumper to bumper. However, I do recall the finance Manager telling us that the warranty DID NOT cover the clutch because that is considered normal wear and tear. The warranty has a $ 100 deductible. I will remain positive and I'll let you guys know the outcome next week. Thanks again everyone. By the way, they don't call me Gabby for nothing. Sorry so lengthy.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The Syncro will be covered under the Ford Power train Warranty (5 years/60,000 miles), no deductible on it.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

That's great news

I appreciate the good news about the Power train warranty and no deductible.

Gabby
Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Congrats! I love the 11-12 look just as much as my 13! Sweet ride.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Gabby, I like the suggestion about having your tech check out the clutch. If it was my car and my $ I would consider replacing the dual mass flywheel with a regular steel one (Google dual mass V6 Stang flywheel vibration). With only a little luck you'll be back on the road.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

Gabby has her Mustang back.

Hello, I just got back from picking my car up from the FORD dealership. The Tech was so nice when I asked to see the synchronizer part that was replaced. It was a total of 5 boxes. They were taped so he could return them to Ford. I saw how it was chewed up on one side REAL BAD and on it's way to being chewed up on the other side of the ring. He took all the parts out and showed me how they go together and how they were not connecting etc. Troy ( Tech ) is originally from Kansas and working in Florida. He said the clutch was fine. The parts came in today and it was ready this afternoon since the transmission was removed last week. I am happy to report there was no deductible

I get off work before my Husband so I requested the Service Advisor test drive it with me. He drove us down a few side streets using second gear a lot and then on the Hwy to get it heated up real good. It was perfect ! I am thrilled and it feels good to have it back. Now I can drive it with confidence, second gear never felt better. I appreciate your support.

Thanks everyone, Gabby
Old 10-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great news

I'm sure your happy. I think all of your problems are now in the past as far as the transmission goes. I see your in Orlando.
If you can make it you should come over to Daytona Saturday November first to the huge cruise in at the Daytona Flea Market. It is from 9 to 1 and it is always on the first Saturday of the Month. A lot of cars come from Orlando as far as from Jacksonville area.
I'm sure you probably already know the location of the Flea Market on Tomaka Farms Road just off of 92.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #13

Daytona Saturday

I would love to do that but, I work at a Call Center and we have to work every single Sat and Sun. I can request to switch shifts with a two week advance notice if you think they will have it the first Sat in Dec. too. I am hoping to bid for a different shift in January next year.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
And here I am in Orlando till Friday Morning. So if you see this car running around wave

BTW, Ronnie and Mario are pretty cool when you do meet up with them Gabby
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
And here I am in Orlando till Friday Morning. So if you see this car running around wave

BTW, Ronnie and Mario are pretty cool when you do meet up with them Gabby
Gabby one other thing I've heard of dealerships intentionally damaging cars ....
deut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #16

Region: Arizona
Hi all
justindarcy178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 mustang