Catastrophic engine failure question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Catastrophic engine failure question.

Hi guys,
I need some help/ opinions on what could caused this. I will provide as much info that I can at this time with what the person has told me.I meet up with him on the weekends as his son plays hockey on my sons team if any of you need more info.

Its a 04 GT, has 61000 kms on it, original motor, all stock except magnaflow from the stock manis with catts which are about a year old.. He decided to go with Bama and also ordered a bbk tb, not sure which one as I see there are three on AM, and a spacer. He installed the tune on the 8th of Oct I believe and that night took it out for a spin. He said the car ran great, pulled and ran well. The following day he took it out of the garage and around the block then parked it to install the tb. When the tb was installed he started his car and said it idled really bad. He let it idle a little bit and said he smelt something burning so he shut it off. He looked under his car and one of his pipes just after the Catt was red, no cel or any other codes. After an hour or so started it again and instantly the motor was knocking. Shut it off right away and removed the spark plugs and said number 3 plug was melted. He is convinced its the tune but I'm not so sure that's the culprit. Could a bad tune kill an engine at idle that quickly with absolutely no cel or any other codes??

Again this is what he has told me and I'll ask for more info if some of you require it. He has contacted Bama but what I have read from the email that it looks like he is pretty much on his own.

Thanks in advance for any help or possibilities on the issue.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

His best would be to put his car back to stock tune, stock TB and basically just the way it was before he installed his new mods. Replace plug #3 and see how his car runs. If it's still showing similar symptoms, I'd say he did his modding at a 'wrong' time.

And if not, the tune is going to be the culprit here. I can't imagine tb and a spacer melting shiet up on his car. Bama has history of sending 'incompatible' tunes, I wouldn't be surprised if he's running a tune made specifically for an entirely different car with different mods.

Happened to me once, my car wouldnt even start/do anything each time I turned the key, and it was showing ABS codes. Returned it back to stock, and it ran without any issues.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Spoke to him this morning, apparently he has some kind of snake camera and can see damage on the piston. Can a tune really break an engine that quickly at idle?

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
A bad tune can exacerbate an existing problem.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It sounds like an extremely lean condition. The only other thing would be lack of oil, but that would affect more than one cylinder.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Keep in mind all of the parameters changed in a tune. If one or more are way too high/low, it can certainly cause damage. A TB and spacer are not going to fry a spark plug.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

just guessing.....air leak after TB letting in air the MAF didn't see causing lean condition
Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That makes sense. Are you sure he properly secured the TB? One question is why it only affected the one cylinder? Or did he only check one?
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

He told me that he removed all the plugs and only found the one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang