Roush axle-back exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Roush axle-back exhaust

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the roush axle-backs for my 2013 v6. I got them from AM and they arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I got them right before I had to leave for work so I had to wait until today for the install.

The install was pretty straight forward. Took about an hour. The passenger side went on right were it needed to be. The drivers side took a little muscle to center it but not too bad. Overall, I'd say the quality is very good. Nice finish. The welds look good. The tips look great!

Then I went for a test drive. They are LOUD! In a good way! I've read reviews about them sounding kind of ricey so I was a little worried. I don't think they do. Good idle rumble. Drove around town and it's not obnoxious just driving regularly. But when you get on it, it's great!!! I'm sure they will mellow out after a while but I think for under $500 these are a great value. I'm sure there are better sounding sets out there but I couldn't see myself paying 6-7 hundred dollars for it.

For my money, these are a great set of axle-backs. Hope this review helps if someone is on the fence about them.

2013 V6 Deep Impact Blue, manual, stock (for now)
bob_kky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm about 1500 miles into mine. They go through a few phases of break-in. They start loud as f***, then start to mellow, at about 750-1000 miles they started to sound like crap, just a weird off tone with a sharp garble, and heavy drone sub-2k RPM, now at 1500 they are deep, rumbly with a pronounced growl at 50%+ throttle. The drone is gone for the most part, still a bit in 6th gear under load around 75mph(2.73s).

Parking garages and tunnels will paint a huge smile on your face.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I'm about 1500 miles into mine. They go through a few phases of break-in. They start loud as f***, then start to mellow, at about 750-1000 miles they started to sound like crap, just a weird off tone with a sharp garble, and heavy drone sub-2k RPM, now at 1500 they are deep, rumbly with a pronounced growl at 50%+ throttle. The drone is gone for the most part, still a bit in 6th gear under load around 75mph(2.73s).

Good to know! Thanks for the info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #4

Region: Texas
I've had mine for about a month and personally think they sound really aggressive! the only negative is that my mpg is going down due to the fact I like hearing the exhaust scream.. especially under bridges
kappasig_eptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Agreed. Unfortunately going through the crap stage and was getting worried, but nothing a 200-300 mile round trip wont fix! I haven't noticed any real drone at all though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

It was the same with my Pypes kit. A bit buzzy at first and then over time it got deeper and aggressive. The one tunnel we have around here is like an auditory orgasm lol.

But the drone is too much so switching to the ATAKS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

I'm glad you cleared the Roush axle back up for me. Everyone said they are way too loud. I was trying to decide between these or just GT500 exhaust system. I'm still torn between them both , but leaning more towards the GT500 because I love the sound.
Crazedstang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

They are loud! But that's what I was going for. I'm very happy with them so far.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Loud is an understatement. It's definitely not for everyone.

I've been given the finger twice by folks. Granted they were talking on the phone(huge pet peeve), with their windows down, and I may have dropped a gear or two to get up around 4k RPM. and paced them so my rear was right at their window.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

Mine are kind of in that breaking in stage with about 500 miles on my car. I really hope it gets deeper over time like everyone says!

2014 V6, Air Raid CAI, Roush Axle Back, Roush side window louvers, MMD side scoops.
sterlyinggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If all else fails I have heard they sound amazing with a resonator swap.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

I've been given the finger twice by folks. Granted they were talking on the phone(huge pet peeve), with their windows down, and I may have dropped a gear or two to get up around 4k RPM. and paced them so my rear was right at their window.

Funny stuff!
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hello guys !! and just install a BBK long off road x pipe and Roush muffler delete !! SOUND!!! Is a dream for any V6 but is REALLY loud and possible install a resonator
blackout2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2012 View Post
Hello guys !! and just install a BBK long off road x pipe and Roush muffler delete !! SOUND!!! Is a dream for any V6 but is REALLY loud and possible install a resonator
I'm confused, are you asking or telling?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2012 View Post
Love my Roush with my shorties! That being said I've heard Roush with an off road x.....terrible. Any mid pipe other than the OEM with Roush and it sounds like a loud mess IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hello and ask!
blackout2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have about 8k miles on mine and to me it sounds quiet. Maybe too quiet that I might have to remove the resonators. At first when I installed it it was LOUD and perfect. Then once you put some miles on it it slowly starts to get quieter. But im still happy with them. Especially cold starts they sound amazing.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm at about 8k on mine too. I love how they settled in. I also added a Roush CAI about 3k miles ago. It's quiet but still really hummy in 6th under load. I normally run 87 gas, my last full up I went with 91 and 50 miles later it's now even quieter with a much smoother tone.

Overall I would definitely buy the axlebacks again but not without having a CAI. The sound difference is night and day.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking of picking some of these up. Is everyone still enjoying them? Any complaints? I heard what I thought to be a tuner a couple cars ahead of me today and when the light changed and the cars started turning a 13 or 14 mustang started revving. It sounded horrible, like a Honda with those annoying exhaust. I wish I cold have stopped him to ask what setup he had so I don't make the same mistake. Only thing that worries me is it will sound like that.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think unfortunately all v6s will sound like the tuner cars. it's just how it is. on my borla thread I asked if anyone with them felt the same.. nobody really did, but i hear it lol no axleback will sound anything near a v8. at low end, it has a cool little rumble, but when it screams, it can sound like a tuner. maybe not so much a 4 banger Honda with a fart pipe, but more so like a wrx, or like an evo or something.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
maybe not so much a 4 banger Honda with a fart pipe, but more so like a wrx, or like an evo or something.

What is wrong with wrx or evo. I think they sound cool. Honda not so much.

dacm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #22
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
The WRX and EVO have more of a thumping sound to me which aren't bad. And Hondas, aside from maybe the C32B, sound like hot Mexican food farts.

I hear closer to an Infiniti-ish sort of sound with the 3.7. The closest thing I can think of is the Infiniti/Nissan VQ35DE.

In my humble opinion, the 3.7 has a great sound. But if you're looking for a V8 sound from your V6 you're going to be disappointed no matter what.

I am a self admitted Borla fanboy, so I will always say go for the Ataks or S-Types. I hear the Roush get better with time, but the Borla sounds good from the get-go.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacm99 View Post
What is wrong with wrx or evo. I think they sound cool. Honda not so much.

nothin wrong, but i'm saying out 3.7 v6 with axlebacks CAN resemble the sound of one of those turbo 4 cylinder "tuners" like a wrx or an evo.

i've heard stock 350z's and infinity's and idk, i don't think ours sounds like it. maybe i haven't heard any of them with exhausts though, only stock. i'll have to youtube it.

*edit*
http://youtu.be/LKIY5IZ49Ug?t=1m54s

there's a borla on a g35. sounds more like the touring, very tame, but i guess i hear the similarities at low RPMs.

all i know is, i do enjoy my atak's, but i do find myself getting hard on the throttle a lot LESS now than i did bc it's so damn loud and i'm paranoid about cops pulling me over. it's like, beforehand it was a loud engine, yeah, but i could easily rip it without being noticed...but now, especially with those loud *** gunshot pops from my exhaust, cops will definitely notice me
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I once revved next to a 370z and was confused when it sounded exactly like my car, both of us were like what the heck, so I agree that we sound like the Z's but I'm not sure about Infiniti.

SR Performance CAI, Bama 91R tune, Roush Axleback, BBK Shorty Headers.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

well, a v6 will sound like a v6 I guess! haha

Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Well I heard the exhaust in person today on the freeway on the way to work. It sounded really good. I pulled up next to another 13 or 14 mustang doing 70 and he acted like he wanted to race. I waved him off and he took off so I pulled up next to him again and asked. He said he had roush, I would have asked him if he had any other mods to affect sound but it was hard to carry a conversation at that speed. I'm pretty sure this is the exhaust I'll be going with, it didn't sound tinny, wasn't deep like a v8 and definitely didn't sound like a ricer. It wasn't noticible until he stepped on the gas and then it roared. Sounded great in the 7st tunnel.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #27

I installed the roush axle backs on my 14 V6 yesterday and they sound great. Deep at idle, not too loud until I gun it. Could not be happier with my purchase

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
V6Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Just picked these up from Craigslist for $300.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	177254  
Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Started a few minutes after my previous post. Easy removal and install. About to go try them out, they sound great
Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I just ordered mine with the rear valance mod and bbk off-road x pipe . I'm pretty excited to see how they look/sound

Sent from my iPhone using, my iPhone
MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

::: wild applause :::
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

They are loud, I was suprised my wife liked them. She said it sounded so much better. We were in her camry headed to the book store yesterday and a Nissan left when the light turned green and it had a loud ricer sound. My wife said too bad we weren't in my mustang so we could show them what a good exhaust sounds like.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! I'm putting them on tomorrow. I have to install the bbk x pipe too, so I'm hoping for a sick mean sound

Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcDema05 View Post
Nice! I'm putting them on tomorrow. I have to install the bbk x pipe too, so I'm hoping for a sick mean sound

How do they sound with the xpipe? You happy with the sound?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't get a chance to put that on. I looked into it more and taking the cats off would have been a pain to deal with, plus the stock x-pipe is very good quality. The bbk one is aluminum I think and the stock is stainless so I just stuck with the axle back roush. But hey it sounds amazing. I really like it. Install you need to take your time if you get the tips you need to cut the valance with, but the look is totally worth it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427313823.498062.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	178367

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust