Twin Turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Twin Turbo

I've been looking at turbos lately and I've been really getting into them. I think it would be really cool to have a twin turbo set up for my 2014 V6, but I can't seem to find any kits. Is it even possible to put twin turbos in a V6? Or would it just be easier to get a bigger single turbo ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
_Damiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Damiaan View Post
I've been looking at turbos lately and I've been really getting into them. I think it would be really cool to have a twin turbo set up for my 2014 V6, but I can't seem to find any kits. Is it even possible to put twin turbos in a V6? Or would it just be easier to get a bigger single turbo ?

You've got an option for a single turbo.
Twins would have to be fabricated.

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

I was just reading through your thread. Lol. As far as the turbo it's self Is there a certain size and brand you'd suggest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i met a guy at a mustang meet who had fabricated two subaru STI turbos onto his 3.7 cyclone, he said he had to put HUGE injectors in it and his mpg was **** so it became his track car. he said he didnt treat his engine as a v6, he treated it as "two 3 cylinder engines bolted together" with about 12 pounds of boost from each turbo. it sounded CRAZY loud. anyway, he spent a ton of money on it. but he also drives a twin turbo v12 mercedes if that tells you anything about his income...
he also had widebody and said he was making about 600 horsepower.

i would personally never do this but you said you liked turbos so i thought id give you a laugh!

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
xsixxerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Twins on the 3.7 are pointless, unless you want instant torque from two small turbos.

Just go with a larger single and be done with it.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

agreed^ or procharger

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
xsixxerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Twins on the 3.7 are pointless, unless you want instant torque from two small turbos.

Yep.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

That's one feature I really liked about the 2008 BMW 335i I test drove. Two small turbos on the V6 and that ***** got up and hauled. 0 turbo lag and very quick spool.

But back on topic, to realistically go twin turbo with anything but tiny amounts of boost, there's a lot of prep work to do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
That's one feature I really liked about the 2008 BMW 335i I test drove. Two small turbos on the V6 and that ***** got up and hauled. 0 turbo lag and very quick spool.

But back on topic, to realistically go twin turbo with anything but tiny amounts of boost, there's a lot of prep work to do.

Twin turbo I6, not v. It also has a lot to do with the transmission gearing of that car to make up for the tiny turbos, but at any rate lol. I wouldn't bother with twins on this car, lots of R&D, and quite honestly not worth the gains over a good single.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Twin turbo I6, not v. It also has a lot to do with the transmission gearing of that car to make up for the tiny turbos, but at any rate lol. I wouldn't bother with twins on this car, lots of R&D, and quite honestly not worth the gains over a good single.
I keep forgetting that was an inline. So used to saying V6 hahaha. Regardless, I would have bought that car on the spot were it not for the second thoughts of having a beamer with no warranty....

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I keep forgetting that was an inline. So used to saying V6 hahaha. Regardless, I would have bought that car on the spot were it not for the second thoughts of having a beamer with no warranty....

Awesome cars, they really are. However, my buddy works out of his garage and makes more money stocking them out than he does modding them... they just seem to fall apart after a while :/ oh well. Really had my heart set on a Z4 a few years ago.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Awesome cars, they really are. However, my buddy works out of his garage and makes more money stocking them out than he does modding them... they just seem to fall apart after a while :/ oh well. Really had my heart set on a Z4 a few years ago.
I definitely believe it. A buddy bought an '09 M3 and it ran like a beast for the first 2-3 months and then it just started rapidly breaking this or that. Of course you can only work on them so much before you have to take it to the dealer.

Sorry for small thread jack!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #13

I want to be some where around 500hp at the wheels. And like 550lbs of torque. Think that's reasonable ? I know I'm a bad driver, as in I'll speed and try to race someone on open roads. Just a adrenaline rush that I enjoy. But that'll be enough to play with Corvettes, SS, GTs, and destroy Hondas right ?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Damiaan View Post
I want to be some where around 500hp at the wheels. And like 550lbs of torque. Think that's reasonable ? I know I'm a bad driver, as in I'll speed and try to race someone on open roads. Just a adrenaline rush that I enjoy. But that'll be enough to play with Corvettes, SS, GTs, and destroy Hondas right ?

If you know you're a bad driver, I'd focus on getting that under control. That will get you killed if you don't respect the car.

That being said, at around 475 ish you'd have to start seriously considering forged internals, fuel system upgrades etc. It's not as simple as strapping on two turbos and go.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #15

Yea that I understand. And not bad, as in I put others at risks. I understand the consequences completely.

As far as the turbos, I know it's not that easy. I have plans for a tune, and headers and all the good stuff! Just wanted an idea and opinions from people so I know what is what and which is best

Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Search LPF. Click on one of the turbo threads.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
http://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes...-build-24.html

This guy started a twin turbo build and looks like he got pretty far into it, but he hasn't updated the thread recently so I have no idea if he ever finished it.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang