Possible Header Issue - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
Well, I changed my mind. I'll be trying the install again this weekend with new OEM gaskets. Luckily, I've gotten pretty quick at it now. I will just take it very slowly, and make sure everything is aligned properly, and torqued aaalllllll the way down. I will probably also use some exhaust sealant in the flanges between the headers and the cats. If this doesn't work, I'll be taking mine in.
I would make the suggestion of ARP header bolts for the future. I'll be doing mine when I change things out for FI. Less corrosion and just stronger hardware.

I used the BBK gaskets so I'll check their condition as well. That's some time in the future though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

So after changing gaskets again I'm still not sure that it's fixed. Here is a clip of my exhaust though. Sounds amazing imo

2014 Mustang exhaust: http://youtu.be/cAM2hDQBq6o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sounds great man!
GrbbrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbbrBlue View Post
*update* Took to a shop. They loosened the header connecting to the midpipe. (Used an impact gun). Then re tightened and made no difference. After about 20 minutes of fiddling around, they found that the lower nuts on the header to the engine lock (driver side) had become slightly loose. The ones I cannot get to without it being jacked up of course. The noise has decreased a bit! I still hear a slight clicking and so did the mechanic, he told me to bring it by again sometime and he would figure it out. $55 bucks later. Noise decreased. It is small enough for me not to care as much. I ordered stock oem gaskets for $20 from ford. Will try these out when they come in.(hopefully that will do the trick)!

If you're changing the gasket. Change the fastener as well to these. Install will be my much easy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415561863.880236.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	169426

All you need will be these tools to tighten the fastener. Close wrench just used for extension and leverage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415561986.159811.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	169427Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415561996.592228.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	169428
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Never heard of those. What do they do? Keep the bolts from coming loose?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Never heard of those. What do they do? Keep the bolts from coming loose?

Yes, usually due to engine vibration, nuts/bolt moves after some number of miles. The lock tabs stops the movement of the bolt and prevent leaks due to loosening.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Update: so I finally gave in after loosening and tightening all by bolts countless times and replacing the gaskets twice... And took it into an exhaust shop. He said I probably did everything right the first time but my passenger side header (where the sound is obviously coming from) has a leak at the collector. I ordered mine from americanmuscle, called them and told them what all I've done and they're sending me a new set with a return shipping label for the faulty one with no hassle at all. Great customer service. I'll update again in a week or so when I get the new one installed

Old 11-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
Update: so I finally gave in after loosening and tightening all by bolts countless times and replacing the gaskets twice... And took it into an exhaust shop. He said I probably did everything right the first time but my passenger side header (where the sound is obviously coming from) has a leak at the collector. I ordered mine from americanmuscle, called them and told them what all I've done and they're sending me a new set with a return shipping label for the faulty one with no hassle at all. Great customer service. I'll update again in a week or so when I get the new one installed

I bought the last set the AM had on the first run and had a bad weld on one tube, they did the same for me right after the next batch came in
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I hear the same thing!?! It drives me crazy.. But the car runs amazing and I feel no problems.. My mechanic said easy fix.. Turn up your radio lol.. Sadly my exhaust note is my radio.. I love listening to the rumble lol..

Bbk short tunes + BBK CIA + Borla S-Types + x mid clamp + bama 93 race tune here's a little sample

http://youtu.be/ZXPsCW0lqQQ

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I just put my new passenger side header on, and Damn. It already is a huge difference. Waiting for it to cool off now to re-tighten everything. Much quieter with tapping noise gone. Will go for a drive later today and will update again as to whether or not the flapping noise under acceleration is gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=rgstelzner;2132033]I just put my new passenger side header on, and Damn. It already is a huge difference. Waiting for it to cool off now to re-tighten everything. Much quieter with tapping noise gone. Will go for a drive later today and will update again as to whether or not the flapping noise under acceleration is gone.

@rgstelzner Did your ticking sound end up going away? I never got mine too.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

So is this noise from the shorty headers a thing to be concerned about?
Tek1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

the bbk gaskets suck i had replaced them on my 2004 after doing a shorty header install i got a cheap felpro and it worked way beter and no more leak ... may take sum time to replace so get it done right once.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek1836 View Post
So is this noise from the shorty headers a thing to be concerned about?
Honestly my dude, I recommend having a professional shop install them, bring new original stock gaskets with you instead of the bbk gaskets. I wish I would have done that because I have spent more money now than i would have that way! I did them my self had a few leaks, all said and done I would have rather done it right the first time and not wasted so much time! Don't be nervous about it. Just do what we all say lol.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbbrBlue View Post
Honestly my dude, I recommend having a professional shop install them, bring new original stock gaskets with you instead of the bbk gaskets. I wish I would have done that because I have spent more money now than i would have that way! I did them my self had a few leaks, all said and done I would have rather done it right the first time and not wasted so much time! Don't be nervous about it. Just do what we all say lol.
yup u and me are on the same level i agree
Old 02-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Good to know as I was about to buy some shorty headers.
Tek1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

So I FINALLY figured out what the sound I was experiencing was coming from. It wasn't even the headers. I'm 99% sure it was the metal "box" from my CAI rattling at certain rpms (1800-3000). The reason i say 99% is because I also tightened down a few other things, but nothing other than the CAI was loose. Now the sound is completely gone.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

well look at the bright side u got headers now and if there wasnt any exhaust residue around then yeh wasnt the headers.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, none of the things I tightened down were exhaust related. I DID have a leak in the collector of the header when I first got them, but AM was great as usual and sent me out a replacement. And yes I love the headers lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang