Brake maintenance - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Sorry, could just be me but you sound very contradicting to your own statements there.
"5.0 rotors wouldn't fit a 3.7 with stock caliper and bracket setup." yes, i know this. Need the 5.0 bracket and rotors for it to work.
"However, 17" wheels work just fine on a 5.0 with standard brakes. "
not sure if you ment something else like 18"s but 17" just wont work.

Are these Gt rotors?
Umm maybe I wasn't clear, so here we go again:

1) I had a 3.7 with PP right, I was under the impression that it comes with 13.3" rotors (same as 5.0). So I ordered aftermarket 13.3" rotors to replace my stockers. In the meantime I was at a dealership for routine maintenance and since I had FMPP, they replaced my stock rotors for free. I looked at their worksheet, it said 12.4 or 12.5 - so I had a chat with my service advisor as to why did they install small rotors!

This is what he told me: your performance package rotors are indeed same size as GT but from 4.6 and NOT the 5.0. Given the tiny space between my PP rotors and caliper, it was pretty clear it couldn't accomodate another 3 quarters of an inch if i were to replace them 13.3" rotors.

So yes you cannot add 5.0 GT rotors if you're have "stock" calipers and bracket setup on your 3.7. As joey pointed out, you will need a caliper bracket to clear bigger rotors.

2) the picture I posted is from my 5.0 with stock brakes (non brembos). I kept my aftermarket 17" winter wheels when I traded my 3.7 a couple weeks ago and they're now on my GT. As you can see, they're fawking tight. Yes 17" wheels would work on a "GT" albeit you gotta take care of balancing weights, else they will scrap against the caliper.

Hope this clears up any confusion I might have created.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

So yes you cannot add 5.0 GT rotors if you're have "stock" calipers and bracket setup on your 3.7. As joey pointed out, you will need a caliper bracket to clear bigger rotors.
Ps: I'm not too sure if you will be able to clear 17" rims once you have gt rotors and brackets. I mean hypothetically speaking yes you should be able to given that I'm running these wheels on my GT, but from from a practical point of view - I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it when I had my 3.7
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
I'll be putting 5.0 calipers / rotors on my GFs 3.7 this weekend, if we get a chance to swing by storage, i'll grab one of her stock 17s and see if they clear.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'll be putting 5.0 calipers / rotors on my GFs 3.7 this weekend, if we get a chance to swing by storage, i'll grab one of her stock 17s and see if they clear.
They won't. I tried using the stock 17's off my wife's 3.7, on the front of mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
^^ And there you have it folks.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They won't. I tried using the stock 17's off my wife's 3.7, on the front of mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
So you tried using your wifes 3.7 17"s on your 5.0...yet Bazzinga here just said he has his old 3.7 17"s now on his 5.0....unless he has a 4.6 GT...lol this is getting confusing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

2) the picture I posted is from my 5.0 with stock brakes (non brembos). I kept my aftermarket 17" winter wheels when I traded my 3.7 a couple weeks ago and they're now on my GT. As you can see, they're fawking tight. Yes 17" wheels would work on a "GT" albeit you gotta take care of balancing weights, else they will scrap against the caliper.

Hope this clears up any confusion I might have created.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Ps: I'm not too sure if you will be able to clear 17" rims once you have gt rotors and brackets. I mean hypothetically speaking yes you should be able to given that I'm running these wheels on my GT, but from from a practical point of view - I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it when I had my 3.7
Wait, you got rid of your 3.7?! Seams like you just joined the site just a couple months ago...what happened? Do you have a 4.6 GT or a 5.0?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
So you tried using your wifes 3.7 17"s on your 5.0...yet Bazzinga here just said he has his old 3.7 17"s now on his 5.0....unless he has a 4.6 GT...lol this is getting confusing
Haha bro I have a 2014 5.0, I wouldn't never trade my 3.7 for a 4.6 NEVER! Lol. I was putting a heck lot of miles on it and given the fact that 15s are out, my trade in value was only gonna go significantly down. I got 21k CAD for it - 43000 kms in year and a half. Nothing was wrong with it, I just wanted more power and figured 10k spent to get a GT would be a better idea than a turbo.

I had aftermarket 17" winter wheels and tires on my 3.7 right, I took those off when I traded my 3.7 in and I'm now running those on my 5.0 - the picture I posted on this thread yesterday is from my GT, and you can read I'm running 225-60-17s

Ps: I joined ME year and a half ago, I kept a low profile in the beginning.. watch and learn you know :p





Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Wait, you got rid of your 3.7?! Seams like you just joined the site just a couple months ago...what happened? Do you have a 4.6 GT or a 5.0?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
We are talking about the stock 17's off a 3.7 not aftermarket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
We are talking about the stock 17's off a 3.7 not aftermarket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Oh gotcha! So is that the offset of stock 17" wheels/their width or some other parameters that wouldn't allow them to work on a 5.0?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Haha bro I have a 2014 5.0, I wouldn't never trade my 3.7 for a 4.6 NEVER! Lol. I was putting a heck lot of miles on it and given the fact that 15s are out, my trade in value was only gonna go significantly down. I got 21k CAD for it - 43000 kms in year and a half. Nothing was wrong with it, I just wanted more power and figured 10k spent to get a GT would be a better idea than a turbo.

I had aftermarket 17" winter wheels and tires on my 3.7 right, I took those off when I traded my 3.7 in and I'm now running those on my 5.0 - the picture I posted on this thread yesterday is from my GT, and you can read I'm running 225-60-17s

Ps: I joined ME year and a half ago, I kept a low profile in the beginning.. watch and learn you know :p
June 2013 i see that, lol...got any parts from the 3.7 worth buying? lol Congrats on getting the GT! Explains why you suddenly disappeared from the forum, you went over to the GT section lol. Well good luck with that, i hate you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
We are talking about the stock 17's off a 3.7 not aftermarket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Oh gotcha! So is that the offset of stock 17" wheels/their width or some other parameters that wouldn't allow them to work on a 5.0?
Not sure how stock 17"s and aftermarkets even matter because the problem Im seeing is with the diameter of the wheel not the offset 9offset will have an effect as well, but not what Im talking about.) if you look at my pic, the size of the gap from the caliper to the inside edge of the wheel is really small 5.0 brakes will 100% not fit. However these are GT Bullit wheels from a 2004 i beleive so who knows...it just doesnt make sense how you can fit an aftermarket 17 on your 5.0 and yet not another but they are BOTH 17" wheels...wtf am i missing here?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Go do it then, my comment was directed towards Voltwings. Telling him I tried. The stock 17's from the 3.7 will not work on a 5.0. They go on but rest completely on top of the calipers.

So nothing to not understand here people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Go do it then, my comment was directed towards Voltwings. Telling him I tried. The stock 17's from the 3.7 will not work on a 5.0. They go on but rest completely on top of the calipers.

So nothing to not understand here people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Im not questioning that...That answer you gave earlier is exactly what I'm saying as well. It cant happen. My missunderstanding is with the aftermarket wheels. What makes those different from the stock wheels that they dont "rest" or scrape the caliper?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #49
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
All wheels are different, the shape and offset can determine brake clearance.

Different car but I have less clearance over my 13" rotors and 2 pot calipers using my 18x9 than I did using my stock 17x8. Both are Bullitt style, 18" is deep dish, stock 17 is
standard. I'm positive a 17x9 of the same type of wheel as my aftermarket will not fit over my calipers without spacers.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
All wheels are different, the shape and offset can determine brake clearance.

Different car but I have less clearance over my 13" rotors and 2 pot calipers using my 18x9 than I did using my stock 17x8. Both are Bullitt style, 18" is deep dish, stock 17 is
standard. I'm positive a 17x9 of the same type of wheel as my aftermarket will not fit over my calipers without spacers.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
Now are you referring to side clearance or top clearance (refer to the pics above) I believe that is top clearance.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Haha just the stainless steel clutch lines that I have no use for atm, and a set of manual mufflers if you're interested lol. I never installed suspension and brake goodies on my 3.7 knowing that ima trade it in soon, good thing they can be used on my 5.0 now all I had to do was send my EBC rotors back for a $24 restocking fee and exchange them for GT size.

Ps: I still hang out quite a bit in v6 section, ain't gonna give up on my old buddies ya know haha :p


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
June 2013 i see that, lol...got any parts from the 3.7 worth buying? lol Congrats on getting the GT! Explains why you suddenly disappeared from the forum, you went over to the GT section lol. Well good luck with that, i hate you...
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Haha just the stainless steel clutch lines that I have no use for atm, and a set of manual mufflers if you're interested lol. I never installed suspension and brake goodies on my 3.7 knowing that ima trade it in soon, good thing they can be used on my 5.0 now all I had to do was send my EBC rotors back for a $24 restocking fee and exchange them for GT size.

Ps: I still hang out quite a bit in v6 section, ain't gonna give up on my old buddies ya know haha :p
PM sent
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintenance?? Ken The Bar 9 10-04-2009 09:53 AM
Maintenance lowflyn Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 11-10-2004 07:28 PM
35k mile maintenance? StangDoo98 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 03-16-2004 11:06 PM
Im giving up..has been moved to maintenance and general tech Danger Dude The Bar 5 10-23-2003 05:14 PM
recommended repair/maintenance books Squirrel Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 08-02-2003 09:04 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:59 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.