Brake maintenance - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Sorry, could just be me but you sound very contradicting to your own statements there.
"5.0 rotors wouldn't fit a 3.7 with stock caliper and bracket setup." yes, i know this. Need the 5.0 bracket and rotors for it to work.
"However, 17" wheels work just fine on a 5.0 with standard brakes. "
not sure if you ment something else like 18"s but 17" just wont work.

Are these Gt rotors?
Umm maybe I wasn't clear, so here we go again:

1) I had a 3.7 with PP right, I was under the impression that it comes with 13.3" rotors (same as 5.0). So I ordered aftermarket 13.3" rotors to replace my stockers. In the meantime I was at a dealership for routine maintenance and since I had FMPP, they replaced my stock rotors for free. I looked at their worksheet, it said 12.4 or 12.5 - so I had a chat with my service advisor as to why did they install small rotors!

This is what he told me: your performance package rotors are indeed same size as GT but from 4.6 and NOT the 5.0. Given the tiny space between my PP rotors and caliper, it was pretty clear it couldn't accomodate another 3 quarters of an inch if i were to replace them 13.3" rotors.

So yes you cannot add 5.0 GT rotors if you're have "stock" calipers and bracket setup on your 3.7. As joey pointed out, you will need a caliper bracket to clear bigger rotors.

2) the picture I posted is from my 5.0 with stock brakes (non brembos). I kept my aftermarket 17" winter wheels when I traded my 3.7 a couple weeks ago and they're now on my GT. As you can see, they're fawking tight. Yes 17" wheels would work on a "GT" albeit you gotta take care of balancing weights, else they will scrap against the caliper.

Hope this clears up any confusion I might have created.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

So yes you cannot add 5.0 GT rotors if you're have "stock" calipers and bracket setup on your 3.7. As joey pointed out, you will need a caliper bracket to clear bigger rotors.
Ps: I'm not too sure if you will be able to clear 17" rims once you have gt rotors and brackets. I mean hypothetically speaking yes you should be able to given that I'm running these wheels on my GT, but from from a practical point of view - I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it when I had my 3.7
Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'll be putting 5.0 calipers / rotors on my GFs 3.7 this weekend, if we get a chance to swing by storage, i'll grab one of her stock 17s and see if they clear.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'll be putting 5.0 calipers / rotors on my GFs 3.7 this weekend, if we get a chance to swing by storage, i'll grab one of her stock 17s and see if they clear.
They won't. I tried using the stock 17's off my wife's 3.7, on the front of mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

^^ And there you have it folks.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They won't. I tried using the stock 17's off my wife's 3.7, on the front of mine.

So you tried using your wifes 3.7 17"s on your 5.0...yet Bazzinga here just said he has his old 3.7 17"s now on his 5.0....unless he has a 4.6 GT...lol this is getting confusing
Quote:

2) the picture I posted is from my 5.0 with stock brakes (non brembos). I kept my aftermarket 17" winter wheels when I traded my 3.7 a couple weeks ago and they're now on my GT. As you can see, they're fawking tight. Yes 17" wheels would work on a "GT" albeit you gotta take care of balancing weights, else they will scrap against the caliper.

Hope this clears up any confusion I might have created.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ps: I'm not too sure if you will be able to clear 17" rims once you have gt rotors and brackets. I mean hypothetically speaking yes you should be able to given that I'm running these wheels on my GT, but from from a practical point of view - I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it when I had my 3.7
Wait, you got rid of your 3.7?! Seams like you just joined the site just a couple months ago...what happened? Do you have a 4.6 GT or a 5.0?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you tried using your wifes 3.7 17"s on your 5.0...yet Bazzinga here just said he has his old 3.7 17"s now on his 5.0....unless he has a 4.6 GT...lol this is getting confusing
Haha bro I have a 2014 5.0, I wouldn't never trade my 3.7 for a 4.6 NEVER! Lol. I was putting a heck lot of miles on it and given the fact that 15s are out, my trade in value was only gonna go significantly down. I got 21k CAD for it - 43000 kms in year and a half. Nothing was wrong with it, I just wanted more power and figured 10k spent to get a GT would be a better idea than a turbo.

I had aftermarket 17" winter wheels and tires on my 3.7 right, I took those off when I traded my 3.7 in and I'm now running those on my 5.0 - the picture I posted on this thread yesterday is from my GT, and you can read I'm running 225-60-17s

Ps: I joined ME year and a half ago, I kept a low profile in the beginning.. watch and learn you know :p

Quote:
Wait, you got rid of your 3.7?! Seams like you just joined the site just a couple months ago...what happened? Do you have a 4.6 GT or a 5.0?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

We are talking about the stock 17's off a 3.7 not aftermarket

Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh gotcha! So is that the offset of stock 17" wheels/their width or some other parameters that wouldn't allow them to work on a 5.0?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha bro I have a 2014 5.0, I wouldn't never trade my 3.7 for a 4.6 NEVER! Lol. I was putting a heck lot of miles on it and given the fact that 15s are out, my trade in value was only gonna go significantly down. I got 21k CAD for it - 43000 kms in year and a half. Nothing was wrong with it, I just wanted more power and figured 10k spent to get a GT would be a better idea than a turbo.

I had aftermarket 17" winter wheels and tires on my 3.7 right, I took those off when I traded my 3.7 in and I'm now running those on my 5.0 - the picture I posted on this thread yesterday is from my GT, and you can read I'm running 225-60-17s

Ps: I joined ME year and a half ago, I kept a low profile in the beginning.. watch and learn you know :p
June 2013 i see that, lol...got any parts from the 3.7 worth buying? lol Congrats on getting the GT! Explains why you suddenly disappeared from the forum, you went over to the GT section lol. Well good luck with that, i hate you...
Quote:

Quote:
Oh gotcha! So is that the offset of stock 17" wheels/their width or some other parameters that wouldn't allow them to work on a 5.0?
Not sure how stock 17"s and aftermarkets even matter because the problem Im seeing is with the diameter of the wheel not the offset 9offset will have an effect as well, but not what Im talking about.) if you look at my pic, the size of the gap from the caliper to the inside edge of the wheel is really small 5.0 brakes will 100% not fit. However these are GT Bullit wheels from a 2004 i beleive so who knows...it just doesnt make sense how you can fit an aftermarket 17 on your 5.0 and yet not another but they are BOTH 17" wheels...wtf am i missing here?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Go do it then, my comment was directed towards Voltwings. Telling him I tried. The stock 17's from the 3.7 will not work on a 5.0. They go on but rest completely on top of the calipers.

So nothing to not understand here people

Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go do it then, my comment was directed towards Voltwings. Telling him I tried. The stock 17's from the 3.7 will not work on a 5.0. They go on but rest completely on top of the calipers.

So nothing to not understand here people

Im not questioning that...That answer you gave earlier is exactly what I'm saying as well. It cant happen. My missunderstanding is with the aftermarket wheels. What makes those different from the stock wheels that they dont "rest" or scrape the caliper?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #49
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
All wheels are different, the shape and offset can determine brake clearance.

Different car but I have less clearance over my 13" rotors and 2 pot calipers using my 18x9 than I did using my stock 17x8. Both are Bullitt style, 18" is deep dish, stock 17 is
standard. I'm positive a 17x9 of the same type of wheel as my aftermarket will not fit over my calipers without spacers.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
All wheels are different, the shape and offset can determine brake clearance.

Different car but I have less clearance over my 13" rotors and 2 pot calipers using my 18x9 than I did using my stock 17x8. Both are Bullitt style, 18" is deep dish, stock 17 is
standard. I'm positive a 17x9 of the same type of wheel as my aftermarket will not fit over my calipers without spacers.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Now are you referring to side clearance or top clearance (refer to the pics above) I believe that is top clearance.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Haha just the stainless steel clutch lines that I have no use for atm, and a set of manual mufflers if you're interested lol. I never installed suspension and brake goodies on my 3.7 knowing that ima trade it in soon, good thing they can be used on my 5.0 now all I had to do was send my EBC rotors back for a $24 restocking fee and exchange them for GT size.

Ps: I still hang out quite a bit in v6 section, ain't gonna give up on my old buddies ya know haha :p

Quote:
June 2013 i see that, lol...got any parts from the 3.7 worth buying? lol Congrats on getting the GT! Explains why you suddenly disappeared from the forum, you went over to the GT section lol. Well good luck with that, i hate you...
Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha just the stainless steel clutch lines that I have no use for atm, and a set of manual mufflers if you're interested lol. I never installed suspension and brake goodies on my 3.7 knowing that ima trade it in soon, good thing they can be used on my 5.0 now all I had to do was send my EBC rotors back for a $24 restocking fee and exchange them for GT size.

Ps: I still hang out quite a bit in v6 section, ain't gonna give up on my old buddies ya know haha :p
PM sent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang