BBk shorty tuned headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
BBk shorty tuned headers

hey all
I'm thinking of grabbing these just wanted to know pros and cons of chrome vs ceramic? also are gaskets included w BBk stuff enough? I keep hearing of exhaust leaks. also for those who have flowmaster exhaust and this installed how big is sound difference?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Chrome will rust over time, ceramic will last forever and radiate less heat to the engine bay, gaskets are included, I used them and haven't had problems, tighten from the middle bolts to the outer bolts

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why don't u ever use the search.. just an idea I know Iv seen this question asked many times.. be a lot faster

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Chrome will rust over time, ceramic will last forever and radiate less heat to the engine bay, gaskets are included, I used them and haven't had problems, tighten from the middle bolts to the outer bolts

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
like said above, Ceramic radiates less heat into the engine bay. Chrome, well its shinny. BBks Chrome headers are also stainless so they will not rust. Poor welds cause rusting in some but with daily use you will never have that problem. If your worried about rust let your car sit for a day and watch your rotors...

Also there will be a nice bump in low end power and no you will not need to get a tune. It would help to once you get all the other bolt ons but not if your just doing the headers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
Why don't u ever use the search.. just an idea I know Iv seen this question asked many times.. be a lot faster

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
It's in here somewhere I believe:
A beginner's guide to modifying your V6
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Its not, unfortunately lol.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Its not, unfortunately lol.
They arent stainless? Oh....well that sucks. Whatever, I drive my car everyday so i will have very little to worry about when it comes to rust. Plus mine are wrapped.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ok any leak noises or what about the sound difference between BBk header and exhaust versus stock header and exhaust? in the vids it's not really noticeable how the sounds really changes.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Get the ceramic. The chrome will look ugly very quickly.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
ok any leak noises or what about the sound difference between BBk header and exhaust versus stock header and exhaust? in the vids it's not really noticeable how the sounds really changes.

The exhaust note will mellow out, get a little lower and quieter and it will give you a nice muscle car burbble upon start up.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Get the ceramic. The chrome will look ugly very quickly.
u have the ceramic?

Old 10-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
u have the ceramic?

No. I did buy a used set of chrome ones though. They didn't look pretty. I sold them, I decided I didn't want to mess with that now. My dealer is not mod friendly at all. I'm staying away from performance mods for now.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
No. I did buy a used set of chrome ones though. They didn't look pretty. I sold them, I decided I didn't want to mess with that now. My dealer is not mod friendly at all. I'm staying away from performance mods for now.
LOL I have them....hes right though they dont look pretty, but if it work it works. If you dont like the look you could alwayxs high temp paint them. I may just end up doing that as my header wrap is starting to unravel
Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Before and after with the Stock Manual mufflers
Before with the Stock Exhaust manifolds

After, everything the same except for the Short tube headers

Much deeper.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Before and after with the Stock Manual mufflers
Before with the Stock Exhaust manifolds

After, everything the same except for the Short tube headers

Much deeper.

definitely much deeper w headers. that's a stock ehaust right? why does it sound so pingy like my flowmasters lol? anyway I do like how it sounds nice and deep. I want a before and after on flowmaster exhausts. thanks for sharing!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thumbs down Enough of Multiple Postings, Try the SEARCH Feature.

Quote:
hey all
I'm thinking of grabbing these just wanted to know pros and cons of chrome vs ceramic? also are gaskets included w BBk stuff enough? I keep hearing of exhaust leaks. also for those who have flowmaster exhaust and this installed how big is sound difference?

Just a little confused ELK. Grbbr Blue posted he was having a problem with his his BBK Ceramic Headers, small leak at the mid-pipe level. He fixed it and a few days later, he was hear a slight flapping sound again.

You posted you were going to order the same headers the next day, 10-30-2014.

Now your posting questions that you should already know the answer to, just like some newby. Or has it been pointed out, you like to POST multiple times just to see your name again.

TRY THE SEARCH FEATURE AND IF YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR NAME, SEND YOUSELF AN EMAIL!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Go Ceramic or leave the stock manis

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Go Ceramic or leave the stock manis

+1000 still have your ceramic and still looks new.. Thanks a million..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

thanks Guys thanks for the great info. wish some people on here wouldn't just say "use search function rtc etc". if they read fully I'm asking specific questions

Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have the chrome bbk, personally I should have spent the extra 100$ for the ceramic just for the heat reduction alone. The chrome headers produce a ton of radiant heat! Go ceramic.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

and finally some much needed rain in Cali!!!!

Old 11-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

That rain is preventing me from detailing my car tomorrow for Cars & Coffee on Sunday lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm actually thinking about either getting a shorty or a borla s type. anyone have a video of stock exhaust with only shorty? thanks
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
I'm actually thinking about either getting a shorty or a borla s type. anyone have a video of stock exhaust with only shorty? thanks
Stock mufflers in post 13 of this thread, although it does have the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe on it
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Stock mufflers in post 13 of this thread, although it does have the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe on it
yea, cus i think i won't be putting in x pipe in mine anytime soon so thats why i am debating about borla s or bbk shorty. shory at least give me some performance and its cheaper, but borla is just an orgasm to the ears lol
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea, cus i think i won't be putting in x pipe in mine anytime soon so thats why i am debating about borla s or bbk shorty. shory at least give me some performance and its cheaper, but borla is just an orgasm to the ears lol
The FRPP still uses the Stock Cats and Resonators. Smooths out the sound and is maybe an octave lower, it is not like running an off road or highflow set up
Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks Guys thanks for the great info. wish some people on here wouldn't just say "use search function rtc etc". if they read fully I'm asking specific questions

Its because those questions have already been asked. Sorry but your not the first to be asking these specific questions. At least they are responding!!

Quote:

About time! When i left it hadnt rained for almost a year!

Quote:
Look up Shunc01. He has the setup you want.
Or just scroll through this:
http://v6mustangperformance.com/prod...p-compilation/

That link is also in here:
A beginner's guide to modifying your V6

again....search function (although its very picky what results it shows, sometime it shows things that have no relation to what your looking for...)
Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The headers don't leak, it's the flange connection from the header to the cats that is a pain to line up perfectly. It doesn't matter what brand or even if it's stock. Aligning the exhaust can be a pain. It's easier to completely remove the cats and x pipe, out the headers in, then cats/xpipe, then install the axle back oipes. This will ensure the flanges are what's lined up and not everything else. I have the same flapping but cannot locate any leak. I think it's just the harmonics of the exhaust in the header to the cats. It's not a flapping as much as it is a woom-woom-woom-woom-woom at 2-3500 rpm in a low gear. It goes away at lower and higher rpms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

It also helps to have a professional install it. Sometimes in your hurry to get it done you will miss a few things and its not going to function properly.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Very true, but they are not difficult for anyone who is somewhat capable in a garage or around a car. Alot of people spend too much on the car and the parts, then they can't afford to pay a shop to install the parts. The biggest pain is the under side bolts but with the cats out of the way it makes it a world of difference and it's actually fast because you can turn the wrench more than half inch turns at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
+1000 still have your ceramic and still looks new.. Thanks a million..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
Anytime, btw you got your car sounding awesome. Keep up the good work!!
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Anytime, btw you got your car sounding awesome. Keep up the good work!!
Thanks man finally got the sound that I wanted. Did you ever get the long tube? Just wondering.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Thanks man finally got the sound that I wanted. Did you ever get the long tube? Just wondering.

Hey Shunc01...When are you going to change your signature from the touring to the "S-Type"?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Hey Shunc01...When are you going to change your signature from the touring to the "S-Type"?
Iv been trying but it won't let me change it lol I don't know why.. Iv added some Springs too.. It keeps crushing the app

Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yes I get that sound sometimes occasionally but not pronounced anymore I think it's just the headers harmonics. They are Much thinner and lighter. I have checked for leaks numerous times there are none. There will be smoke and a smell the first time you start it up and even a smell for a day or 2 but it goes away. Just 're check for leaks every few days for the first 2 weeks

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
How would these sound with the stock mid and Roush AB?
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang