camming a v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

camming a v6

EVERYONE has told me to cam my v6. can someone give me some insight of how hard it is to install it, what it would do to my gas mileage, and where can i get one and whats the best one to get? thanks so much guys!

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
xsixxerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Cams will not give a lope on this engine, and that is probably what they think it will do.

Only way to get a lope, due to the TI-VCT would be to get a ghost cam tune.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i have heard of that, and ive never seen a cammed cyclone engine so i was really wondering. thanks dude!

can you give me some detals about the ghost cam tune?

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not much, I know MPT makes some, MPG will go down. Most GC tunes require you remove the cats, MPT has a safety feature that allows you to keep the cats.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

awesome ill look into MPT. do you know how much power/torque id gain?

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You won't. It's solely for the idle.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

what the hells the point then..?

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsixxerx View Post
what the hells the point then..?

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer

Sound. & cam your sixxer, just get phase locks. It will buck, give you gains, and sound bad *** with Some longtubes and x pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
Sound. & cam your sixxer, just get phase locks. It will buck, give you gains, and sound bad *** with Some longtubes and x pipe

ok what are phase locks??

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok what are phase locks??

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer

Google man. They are on american muscle if you want to look at a description of it.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I wouldn't mess with the cams at all. No need. If you want to go a lot faster with the V6 get a power adder. LPF makes a good turbo kit and there is obviously the procharger too. If you don't want to mess with a power adder, work on suspension/bolt ons and drop yourself in to the mid-high 12 second range.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

its just so expensive/:

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

So are cams.

Gotta pay to play.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not to mention you need to have the top end to support cams, plus the RPMs. In the end, you'd likely spend just as much, if not more on cams, and still have less power. I was looking at them real hard for my 5.0 because i wanted an all motor build, but at the end of the day i just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
To my knowledge no one has done cams on a Mustang 3.7 so to say it won't be worth it is not entirely true. We don't know if it would be. While going FI will always net you better gains if you want to stay NA cams might be worth. Only problem is Super Six Motorsports are the only ones I know of offering cams for 3.7
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Not to mention you need to have the top end to support cams, plus the RPMs. In the end, you'd likely spend just as much, if not more on cams, and still have less power. I was looking at them real hard for my 5.0 because i wanted an all motor build, but at the end of the day i just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Plenty of people pushing damn near 4 figure power on the OEM cams for the 5.0 Coyote. If one needs a little more on the cheap, there are always the Boss exhaust cams for $125 each from Ford right meow.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Plenty of people pushing damn near 4 figure power on the OEM cams for the 5.0 Coyote. If one needs a little more on the cheap, there are always the Boss exhaust cams for $125 each from Ford right meow.

Missed the part about the all motor build? I had a full cobrajet top end with the monoblade TB and 5" intake. Was looking to do even a "budget" build and actually had a set of the FRPP exhaust cams i was going to pair with a CJ intake cam and hopefully be around the 480+ WHP mark. The cams alone were less than 1000, so that wasnt bad, but factor in the price of a new tune, oil pump gears (needed for the high rpms, and id already have the timing cover off), install (i'm good, but im not THAT good) and it quickly became not worth it in the grand scheme of things ...
Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also have to lock out the phasers and get rid of TiVCT. I've heard of 500whp all motor builds but never really looked into it because not my cup of tea. Probably very easy to hit on the upcoming LT1 with a tune or if Ford gets off their *** and upgrades the Coyote/Roadrunner motors for the current generation.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on getting cams after my suspension & Hoosiers, then cam e85. Retune 😁😁😁

Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You can get 530-550 at the ground with a coyote on e85, cams, heads etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also have to lock out the phasers and get rid of TiVCT. I've heard of 500whp all motor builds but never really looked into it because not my cup of tea. Probably very easy to hit on the upcoming LT1 with a tune or if Ford gets off their *** and upgrades the Coyote/Roadrunner motors for the current generation.

You dont "have to," but since these are interference (valves and pistons have potential to make contact) motors most places will tell you to to avoid the liability. Personally i would never get rid of Ti-Vct on these motors, as thats what accounts for a large amount of the low end torque. A good tuner that understands the lift / timing / duration of these motors can tune aftermarket cams with virtually no loss of power down low (via Ti-Vct) and massive gains up top. Really the only time you need to ditch all of that stuff is if you're going with Wild cams and the factory components physically cant handle the stress.

The coyote motor is also very upgraded for the current generation... The heads flow just about as much as the outgoing Boss heads did and have also received larger valves. The cams are also basically cobra jet cams, with more lift and duration than even the boss cams. If you put a Cobrajet manifold and supporting mods on an S550 5.0 i wouldn't doubt it at all if that motor made 480 whp + with just bolt ons.

Somewhat off topic however since we're in the V6 section, but honestly ... cams arent something the hobbiest wants to pioneer if you think about all that is involved. If it were worth while i imagine someone out there would have done it already, but for the cost, the procharger is just obviously the more lucrative solution.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

It is crazy what you can get out of 302 cubes these days. I know the incoming S550 5.0 is basically a "Boss Lite" and should take a bit better to bolt ons.

As far as the V6, the procharger seems to be easily the most popular option really. Still sometimes kick around picking up my wife's Aunt's 2014 auto V6 when it comes off lease in 2016. Pretty much because its a power adder away from bolt on Coyote power and I know the history of the car since new/my wife's aunt and uncle are COMPLETELY OCD about keeping their cars looking like they are showroom.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

screw this im procharging.. hahaha

love reading all this guys! i love hearin about the coyotes even though i have a cyclone

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
screw this im procharging.. hahaha

love reading all this guys! i love hearin about the coyotes even though i have a cyclone

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Got one for sale if you're interested. PM me.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

A good used supercharger is probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do. The only knock on the procharger is the low torque numbers but if you are DDing on street tires, making 430whp and something like 350wtq isn't exactly terrible. The LPF turbo is still going to make a ****load more overall power though.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A good used supercharger is probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do. The only knock on the procharger is the low torque numbers but if you are DDing on street tires, making 430whp and something like 350wtq isn't exactly terrible. The LPF turbo is still going to make a ****load more overall power though.
That is the burning question isn't it? Do you want a monster turbo car with large potential or a quick DD? Not to say the procharger can't get nasty with the P1 upgrade, but that can only be taken so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Watching the videos of the LPF car running neck and neck with a modded/tuned Boss from a roll... yeah... Then again, a Coyote with the On3 twin kit will stomp that same boss like it wasn't even there.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

U can find deals on prochargers all the time one guy bought one for 2k.

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Where at? I would pick one up for that price.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Forum classifieds. Here and elsewhere. You have to be vigilant and have the $$ ready to go though. I once saw a Tork Tech kit for the 2V complete with injectors/blower/EVERYTHING listed for $2k on the Corral. Sold in 1 hour with multiple ppl fighting over it.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Watching the videos of the LPF car running neck and neck with a modded/tuned Boss from a roll... yeah... Then again, a Coyote with the On3 twin kit will stomp that same boss like it wasn't even there.

Hmmm lol ran with it for a while* but still got yanked in the end, may need to go watch that video again. My opinions on that however are for another thread. It is not hard at all to have a procharger match the torque of a turbo using the torque booster method.

You basically add a high boost pulley and a wastegate on the cold side pipe to control boost instead. Basically gives 10 psi the whole pull instead of just at redline, and can often lead to 50-70 more wtq depending on supporting mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post

That may just be someone wanting to get rid of it... I wouldn't call that an "all day every day" price. At least not for a full kit.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah the wastegate thing is a trick the 2V guys use on the Vortechs too. Just max spin the blower and wastegate the "coldside" like you said.

Biggest problem with the V6 and the blower kits is by the time you find a nice low mileage V6 for $16-$18k and then drop the coin to power adder it, you can pick up a Coyote for less. There is a base model 2011 GT with 29k miles right now on SVTP going for $20k just as an example. The Eco already comes with a blower right on it so this argument is not so valid when comparing the 4 banger to the Coyote.

Anyway, as has been stated, they are phasing the Cyclone out. This might very well be the last year for them and I can't imagine sales will be very good except for the niche that wants a S550, wants the better gas mileage but does not want to have a turbo for whatever reason. Probably middle aged commuters who like how it looks...

Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah the wastegate thing is a trick the 2V guys use on the Vortechs too. Just max spin the blower and wastegate the "coldside" like you said.

Biggest problem with the V6 and the blower kits is by the time you find a nice low mileage V6 for $16-$18k and then drop the coin to power adder it, you can pick up a Coyote for less. There is a base model 2011 GT with 29k miles right now on SVTP going for $20k just as an example. The Eco already comes with a blower right on it so this argument is not so valid when comparing the 4 banger to the Coyote.

Anyway, as has been stated, they are phasing the Cyclone out. This might very well be the last year for them and I can't imagine sales will be very good except for the niche that wants a S550, wants the better gas mileage but does not want to have a turbo for whatever reason. Probably middle aged commuters who like how it looks...
That and rental car fleets, teenage girls for entry level convertibles, etc lol
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah forgot about the rental fleets... will for sure be almost exclusively V6 S550s while they are available.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe he ment the D1SC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang