Moded 3.7 2014 (California special custom) - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm out for dinner now but will post graph tomorrow am...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I got some more intakers!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post
I got some more intakers!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
What about being tricharged?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I figured you would be over the 325 rwhp mark based on all your mods. Just to compare and share my power mods I had for my dyno day

91 MPT tune
Airraid CAI
BBK ceramic long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe.
One piece aluminum driveshaft
3:73 gears (not sure if that effects the dyno number)

Based on those mods I dyno at 297 rwhp & 276 rwtq

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash.

Kona...what gas are you running ? 93 ? Is your tune set for 93 octane ?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Kona...what gas are you running ? 93 ? Is your tune set for 93 octane ?

It's a 91 MPT. That's a 91 octane tune.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

The number, 87, 89, etc, is the octane
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
It's a 91 MPT. That's a 91 octane tune.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

The number, 87, 89, etc, is the octane

Oh yeah...DUH!! It says it...didn't notice.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Kona...what gas are you running ? 93 ? Is your tune set for 93 octane ? Not all the gas stations in my area carry 93 octane gas. Some carry 92 and some 91 octane but majority do have 93 gas

My tune is 91 but typically I fill 93 octane. On the dyno day I had 93 octane fuel but it's 91 tune. Not all the gas stations in my area carry 93 octane gas. Some carry 92 and some 91 octane but majority do have 93 gas

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Moded 3.7 2014 (California special custom)

Quote:
My tune is 91 but typically I fill 93 octane. On the dyno day I had 93 octane fuel but it's 91 tune. Not all the gas stations in my area carry 93 octane gas. Some carry 92 and some 91 octane but majority do have 93 gas

Aaahhhh...well that explains a bit. CA only 91 man...max.

Anyhow...gonna look into the issue with someone next week and figure out what the **** is going on. I may want to revert to stock heads and see...know someone who sells salvaged parts from totaled cars. Then see what numbers it pulls. Kinda bummed.

Even without cams and ported heads I should be doing that....I think...

Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Anyhow...gonna look into the issue with someone next week and figure out what the **** is going on. I may want to revert to stock heads and see...know someone who sells salvaged parts from totaled cars. Then see what numbers it pulls. Kinda bummed.

Even without cams and ported heads I should be doing that....I think...

I totally agree. You got some serious mods bro. Should I decide to go with any additional power mods I will be going right to the ProCharger supercharger. I am NOT going to waste my money and time on a larger throttle body, port and polish, and larger cams. The gains just don't seem to be worth it.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Put down the accessories catalog and step away! We are here to help you!

Honestly it's neat to put in some work modding a car but the level of small nick-nack stuff is way over the top to me. To each their own I guess.
+1

I saw the first two images and said "Damn that looks good..." But the sides don't do it for me. Too much going on.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
+1

I saw the first two images and said "Damn that looks good..." But the sides don't do it for me. Too much going on.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

It was the engine bay that got me. Maybe I'm too much of a minimalist but that looks like someone went crazy in the pepboys clearance bin. But again, if it makes him happy, who am I to say it's wrong?
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The Throttle body spacer isn't doing you any favors, but I would tend to agree a less than perfect head job and possibly that fan blowing out are your main issues.

The spacer isn't a good idea because while it does give you some low end torque, it ends up creating turbulence in the plenum on the high end, choking it out. Losing more up top than you gain down low.

Those things were meant for trucks to help with towing and older cars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

I dont get that, why the hell are their 3 different kinds of Premium fuel?! just make it all 93 and be done with it....

Quote:

Sorry you live there....took me 6 years to finally get the hell out. Worst of all your in LA.... I feel for ya...

Quote:
I totally agree. You got some serious mods bro. Should I decide to go with any additional power mods I will be going right to the ProCharger supercharger. I am NOT going to waste my money and time on a larger throttle body, port and polish, and larger cams. The gains are just not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The Throttle body spacer isn't doing you any favors, but I would tend to agree a less than perfect head job and possibly that fan blowing out are your main issues.

The spacer isn't a good idea because while it does give you some low end torque, it ends up creating turbulence in the plenum on the high end, choking it out. Losing more up top than you gain down low.

There's a lot of mods that on most other cars make a difference that this car just doesn't seam to like. Camaro's with TB spacers are looking at 6-8 hp gains (not sure if its up top or where it is) Now there's a guy on the Cyclone Mustang FB page who made an intake manifold spacer. 1.25" thick and when he dynoed he appeared to gain some thing. Not sure if it has to do with the heat soak of the engine wasnt there anymore or what, but I think thermal spacers could help. Nothing too think, maybe .5"-1" more like an anti heat absorbing gasket. slap one between the TB and Upper intake another between the lower and heads. Just to keep the heat in the engine where it belongs. However I think the IMs are made of a heat resistant material to begin with so they would have very minimal heat soak anyways.

From what I've noticed and seen is that unless you have a nice big block and your dragging it only there is really no reason for any street car to have aftermarket cams or port and polish. I have seen some gains with none valve timing cars that improve with cams but the amount of VVt we have it almost seams pointless to do any cam work. The cost Vs benefit is not worth it. Now if its FREE work and parts then hell go right ahead...its free!
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I dont get that, why the hell are their 3 different kinds of Premium fuel?! just make it all 93 and be done with it....

Sorry you live there....took me 6 years to finally get the hell out. Worst of all your in LA.... I feel for ya...

There's a lot of mods that on most other cars make a difference that this car just doesn't seam to like. Camaro's with TB spacers are looking at 6-8 hp gains (not sure if its up top or where it is) Now there's a guy on the Cyclone Mustang FB page who made an intake manifold spacer. 1.25" thick and when he dynoed he appeared to gain some thing. Not sure if it has to do with the heat soak of the engine wasnt there anymore or what, but I think thermal spacers could help. Nothing too think, maybe .5"-1" more like an anti heat absorbing gasket. slap one between the TB and Upper intake another between the lower and heads. Just to keep the heat in the engine where it belongs. However I think the IMs are made of a heat resistant material to begin with so they would have very minimal heat soak anyways.

From what I've noticed and seen is that unless you have a nice big block and your dragging it only there is really no reason for any street car to have aftermarket cams or port and polish. I have seen some gains with none valve timing cars that improve with cams but the amount of VVt we have it almost seams pointless to do any cam work. The cost Vs benefit is not worth it. Now if its FREE work and parts then hell go right ahead...its free!
Some even carry 94 octane, few places carry 100 octane
Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Some even carry 94 octane, few places carry 100 octane
You know what gets me, you can find 106 octane at select VP stations. theres like 5-6 in San Diego, 10 in Orange County and not sure but I assume theres a few in LA...why? lol
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You know what gets me, you can find 106 octane at select VP stations. theres like 5-6 in San Diego, 10 in Orange County and not sure but I assume theres a few in LA...why? lol
That makes no sense. You'll never use it's potential
Old 11-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
+1

I think it may be the rocker stripes that give you that impression...that's the last thing I did and whilst I like it, it may be the touch that pushes the side over the edge.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
It was the engine bay that got me. Maybe I'm too much of a minimalist but that looks like someone went crazy in the pepboys clearance bin. But again, if it makes him happy, who am I to say it's wrong?

Do you mean the stickers ?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post

Ok...yes that is something I thought about. But since I rarely drive it at high rpms, it may be better for my style of driving to have the lower end torque sacrificing some hp up high...

I mean I guess my question is : "if I prefer torque to high rpm hp...should I keep the throttle spacer ?"...and this is if I just don't care about the numbers.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
That makes no sense. You'll never use it's potential
If you get a tune for it you can use most of what it has to offer. I have a MPT 100+ Octane tune and I love it. Best one I have but I only use it when doing road course work. Mainly because it's so expensive around OK. About $8 gal.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
If you get a tune for it you can use most of what it has to offer. I have a MPT 100+ Octane tune and I love it. Best one I have but I only use it when doing road course work. Mainly because it's so expensive around OK. About $8 gal.
I meant in that area. Too much traffic.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I agree at this point...

I guess my questions are :

1. Is there any PROBLEM with the engine. Meaning...some mods may not be working much, but I want to first make sure there are no issues...NOTHING BROKEN DOROTHY!

2. I do not want to go forced induction...I am a lover of NA engines and want to keep it that way. So BIG question - " WHAT IS THE CYCLONE MUSTANG NA THAT PULLED THE BIGGEST NUMBERS THAT YOU HAVE SEEN AND WHAT WERE THE MODS ?"

Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you are running a tune done for 91 gas, and you put in 100...isn't that gonna screw up your engine ?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Anyhow...will post the dyno chart soon had to leave town for work 3 days this morning.

Plan is to get regular heads back on and retest, kinda step down and rebuild.

Tuner was impressed...he says for a V6 it's doing more than 3v GT's...but if you guys say I should have more...

I mean without the cams and the ported heads, which is the 2 areas that concern me all considered...what do you think I should be realistically pulling with everything else ?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I meant in that area. Too much traffic.

You have no idea what traffic is until you live here.

Yesterday driving back up the parking lot 405 (the world's biggest daily traffic jam) to go home, with a burned out fan...I almost got an ulcer.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Anyhow...will post the dyno chart soon had to leave town for work 3 days this morning.

Plan is to get regular heads back on and retest, kinda step down and rebuild.

Tuner was impressed...he says for a V6 it's doing more than 3v GT's...but if you guys say I should have more...

I mean without the cams and the ported heads, which is the 2 areas that concern me all considered...what do you think I should be realistically pulling with everything else ?

Your tunner is not verry bright.
It makes more than a stock 3v
But barely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Did your buddy do the heads in his garage? Or what? Flow test b4 and after? Or just say I know how to do heads and you let him

Old 11-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have no idea what traffic is until you live here.

Yesterday driving back up the parking lot 405 (the world's biggest daily traffic jam) to go home, with a burned out fan...I almost got an ulcer.

I've lived in cali before. Been to San Diego, San Francisco, and LA.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Did your buddy do the heads in his garage? Or what? Flow test b4 and after? Or just say I know how to do heads and you let him

Yeah he did...

I mean, in my garage.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah he did...

To what question?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To what question?

Yes sorry, i edited post above...

It was done at home

Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes sorry, i edited post above...

It was done at home

I honestly believe the heads are your problem. Bc you can't just simply port heads and get results.
It's a precise process.
And doing it by hand, you better be 110% bad ***. Ask someone who started out doing it by hand how many heads became door stops, and legs for work benches etc.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I honestly believe the heads are your problem. Bc you can't just simply port heads and get results.
It's a precise process.
And doing it by hand, you better be 110% bad ***. Ask someone who started out doing it by hand how many heads became door stops, and legs for work benches etc.

👍

I'll get stock ones from a salvaged motor and see what goes.

Without heads and cams on my mods what do you think will be the numbers ? I'll probably go down from here correct ? I mean what else can I do really...

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Here's the video, may help :

http://youtu.be/BuwYazrOcRk

Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
👍

I'll get stock ones from a salvaged motor and see what goes.

Without heads and cams on my mods what do you think will be the numbers ? I'll probably go down from here correct ? I mean what else can I do really...

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Here's the video, may help :

http://youtu.be/BuwYazrOcRk

I guarantee you will pick up power with the stock heads back on

Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

I also have an average mpg of 11.5...at least that's what the dash is telling me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
california