Moded 3.7 2014 (California special custom) - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Video here : http://youtu.be/BuwYazrOcRk

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Grom, don't be freaking out about low power. You are in the top 5% of reported numbers, that's great! Yes you have ported heads and cams, but another 3.7 with ported heads, intake, full exhaust, dyno'd at 303/290 just where you are. He's also the second fastest NA 3.7 out there.

And who's to say MODDED 3v's on his dyno don't make those numbers? Who knows how the dyno is calibrated. For all we know your car could read 325/310 on another dyno.

Don't freak out about low power from a single dyno number.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #108
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
You know what gets me, you can find 106 octane at select VP stations. theres like 5-6 in San Diego, 10 in Orange County and not sure but I assume theres a few in LA...why? lol
Doesn't that use a really large filler spout and is meant for high performance boats? I know that in Lake Havasu City all the gas stations carry 100-102 fuel but it's meant for the boats with Allisons and such in them.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
I think it may be the rocker stripes that give you that impression...that's the last thing I did and whilst I like it, it may be the touch that pushes the side over the edge.

First off, if you like it, then I am glad. My personal opinion dictates my car, and I hope it doesn't offend you- it's just my view, and not meant to offend or make someone change.

I like the 3.7 badges, and I appreciate the pony with bar thing for those who like that- but I really don't like both together. I am also not a fan of the side Mustang sticker, and although I do like the hashes on the front wheel well, I do not like them combined with anything else.

Hashes alone? A+
3.7? A+
Pony? B
Mustang sticker? C

Hashes + 3.7? B-

Any other combination is not passing in my book. BUT, it isn't my car lol

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm out for dinner now but will post graph tomorrow am...

Quote:
Anyhow...will post the dyno chart soon had to leave town for work 3 days this morning.

Plan is to get regular heads back on and retest, kinda step down and rebuild.

Tuner was impressed...he says for a V6 it's doing more than 3v GT's...but if you guys say I should have more...

I mean without the cams and the ported heads, which is the 2 areas that concern me all considered...what do you think I should be realistically pulling with everything else ?

Id say your about where most guys with LT headers and catless exhausts are sitting (most have intake, LT headers, OR X pipes) For you having cats, shortie headers (which are great for low/mid range trq btw) id say your pretty good. but for us avg people who dont have friends who build Ferrari's. Getting our heads portted would be in the upper $900-$1500 mark.

I say do a data log of your car. send it over to the Datalog section Voltwings started and see what they think. You might be able to get a tune revision done that will improve the timing or flow a bit. as it is we here have a good split of people who belive the BBk 73mm TB works wonders and others who feel it doesnt do squat for the price. See what happens when you swap back to stock TB and remove the TB spacer...datalog that as well maybe?
Quote:
If you are running a tune done for 91 gas, and you put in 100...isn't that gonna screw up your engine ?

No...you can use more advanced octane (unleaded only!) with lower tunes I.E 91 with an 87 tune, but you are not going to feel any benefit from it. Its best to load a 91 tune with 91...maybe 92, or 93, but never use leaded fuel (most race fuels are leaded to achieve higher octanes) and never use 87 with a 91 tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've lived in cali before. Been to San Diego, San Francisco, and LA.
San Diego is a joke compared to LA traffic...LA traffic your sitting in 80-90* heat for hrs! Plus the smog and ugh...**** that noise. San Fran can be bad, i hear San Jose can be worse than LA at times (never lived, just 3rd party assesments)...More people have cars in SJ than SF.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
SJ sucks. That was a nightmare. Dad was driving(this was like 9 years ago) and we were passing through... we found routes that took us around SJ after that.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Doesn't that use a really large filler spout and is meant for high performance boats? I know that in Lake Havasu City all the gas stations carry 100-102 fuel but it's meant for the boats with Allisons and such in them.
No...its a regular gas station pump. Its for all the rich yuppies to fill their GT3s and Lambos with race fuel...or people like my Dad who works in Newport and would get 30 gal drums for his GT 500 Super Snake (it wouldnt run on 91 pump gas). I used it once with my turboed Hyundai....felt really nice and smooth...power was better, but its 6-$8 a gal...not what you want for DD.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
Grom, don't be freaking out about low power. You are in the top 5% of reported numbers, that's great! Yes you have ported heads and cams, but another 3.7 with ported heads, intake, full exhaust, dyno'd at 303/290 just where you are. He's also the second fastest NA 3.7 out there.

And who's to say MODDED 3v's on his dyno don't make those numbers? Who knows how the dyno is calibrated. For all we know your car could read 325/310 on another dyno.

Don't freak out about low power from a single dyno number.

Cool man

Old 11-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
First off, if you like it, then I am glad. My personal opinion dictates my car, and I hope it doesn't offend you- it's just my view, and not meant to offend or make someone change.

I like the 3.7 badges, and I appreciate the pony with bar thing for those who like that- but I really don't like both together. I am also not a fan of the side Mustang sticker, and although I do like the hashes on the front wheel well, I do not like them combined with anything else.

Hashes alone? A+
3.7? A+
Pony? B
Mustang sticker? C

Hashes + 3.7? B-

Any other combination is not passing in my book. BUT, it isn't my car lol

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Yeah you know, i think I'll remove the side ponies now that I have it on the front grill and just leave the 3.7

Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Did someone say 3.7 badge. Just put mine on last night with some dip. Lol

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash.

Nice!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just watched the video. Cats are choking your car. Those heavy *** brembo wheels arent helping your HP numbers at all either.

But I agree with above. Do some datalogging and send it to your tuner. Maybe they can take advantage of those cams and heads a bit if they havent already.
superblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblur View Post
Just watched the video. Cats are choking your car. Those heavy *** brembo wheels arent helping your HP numbers at all either.

But I agree with above. Do some datalogging and send it to your tuner. Maybe they can take advantage of those cams and heads a bit if they havent already.

Hey Man ! Yes we datalogged and retuned it on that dyno...those were the final numbers we pulled after 3 tune revisions...it was actually doing lower than that on the 1st 3 runs. That was the best we could get it to that day and on that dyno.

I agree the exhaust could be a choking point...but I do not want to dick around with the cats...CA smog law is super expensive and severe...I don't want issues with registration since it's my daily driver or the pain in the *** of having to remount everything.

As for the wheels...yeah possibly, but I love the way they look and the handling is great. Expensive to change them...suggestions ?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hey Man ! Yes we datalogged and retuned it on that dyno...those were the final numbers we pulled after 3 tune revisions...it was actually doing lower than that on the 1st 3 runs. That was the best we could get it to that day and on that dyno.

I agree the exhaust could be a choking point...but I do not want to dick around with the cats...CA smog law is super expensive and severe...I don't want issues with registration since it's my daily driver or the pain in the *** of having to remount everything.

As for the wheels...yeah possibly, but I love the way they look and the handling is great. Expensive to change them...suggestions ?
Like you said I wouldn't dick around with the cats out in California. Those cats unfortunately are really robbing you of some serious power gains and you have shown us how big removing the cats are when it comes to power gains. Since you don't want to go FI, then you are at a stand still with your power. Just enjoy the car and forget making more power. Very little more power will you make with the way your car is.

Someday I would like to put a supercharger on my 3.7. 440-450 rwhp and 360 rwtq. That will make a very fine public roadways performance vehicle.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

yeah no doubt...but I'm kinda an old school purist and love NA engines...
Old 11-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I figured you would be over the 325 rwhp mark based on all your mods. Just to compare and share my power mods I had for my dyno day

91 MPT tune
Airraid CAI
BBK ceramic long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe.
One piece aluminum driveshaft
3:73 gears (not sure if that effects the dyno number)

Based on those mods I dyno at 297 rwhp & 276 rwtq

Hey man! I talked to my tuner and he said that your numbers are in STD settings! That's why...

Mine in STD would be 15 hp more...

Old 11-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Hey man! I talked to my tuner and he said that your numbers are in STD settings! That's why...

Mine in STD would be 15 hp more...
Define STD settings.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Define STD settings.

Not sure myself. But his dyno was STD mine was SAE...

Old 11-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #123
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It is a correction factor. Mustang is 95% and std is 110% I think or something like that

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

So does that mean the numbers he got were higher than they really are?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Moded 3.7 2014 (California special custom)

Yes...15 points higher for hp, not sure on torque. I mean my numbers were 15hp lower than hat they would have been on his dyno system

Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Oh wow so he's more at 277hp and prolly 250 trq? So Grom you're lower than your real numbers?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh wow so he's more at 277hp and prolly 250 trq? So Grom you're lower than your real numbers?

Correct !

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't think so he has full open exhaust..

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You are right Grom, Kona's numbers are STD and you claim yours is SAE. I don't believe it is as simple as +15 hp/tq, but generally SAE numbers are lower than STD numbers.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Dynos vary and to be honest lie all the time. The track never lies and tells you what your car can really do in real world conditions which is what you drive in everyday. Not setup on rollers with a fan I front. As said before the dyno is a good tool to judge baseline and performance gain of mods but I would love to see what you would run in the quarter but I don't think you can can you? Seeing as you have a vert. I don't think anyone will let you run it with a roll cage.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
You are right Grom, Kona's numbers are STD and you claim yours is SAE. I don't believe it is as simple as +15 hp/tq, but generally SAE numbers are lower than STD numbers.
+1 STD numbers are usually higher than the SAE numbers. This could be the reason why Gom's numbers seem low in comparison to Kona's.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

What in gods name is STD numbers and how does one know it's STD? I have never heard anyone until now use this term when talking about dyno numbers.

I got it now. Did some quick research. I see it says STD up top Of my dyno sheet. SAE is a scientific prediction of power made. STD is the actual power made at that specific time based in all the variables and whether conditions. At the time of that dyno run.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What in gods name is STD numbers and how does one know it's STD? I have never heard anyone until now use this term when talking about dyno numbers.

I got it now. Did some quick research. I see it says STD up top Of my dyno sheet. SAE is a scientific prediction of power made. STD is the actual power made at that specific time based in all the variables and whether conditions. At the time of that dyno run.

Interesting. So you STD numbers are exactly when you dynoed the car making them more true?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting. So you STD numbers are exactly when you dynoed the car making them more true?
From what I got reading on the web, the STD is the power number at the time of that dyno run based on those conditions. Not numbers that are always there when riding around in the car but there at that exact time of the dyno run. At least that's my understanding of what I read but the SAE are not super accurate either.

Goofy too me.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Ah, well. It's all heresay. Numbers are just that...numbers. we all know the outcome of that with the GT 500. 664 hp and it still barely beats the ZL1. traction is the acilies heel with that though...
Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Do you know what kind of cams you installed or what numbers others see with them? From looking at super six motorsports website they offer 2 cams on their website as well as offer custom grind cams. One appears to be pretty mild and is probable just slight different from stock to support a turbo and the more aggressive one says its for SC, N20, or stroker applications.

My point is that a cam is extremely generic. If you put a cam on your car that is meant for forced induction/ nitrous it might have little to no impact on HP without FI or N20.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Do you know what kind of cams you installed or what numbers others see with them? From looking at super six motorsports website they offer 2 cams on their website as well as offer custom grind cams. One appears to be pretty mild and is probable just slight different from stock to support a turbo and the more aggressive one says its for SC, N20, or stroker applications.

My point is that a cam is extremely generic. If you put a cam on your car that is meant for forced induction/ nitrous it might have little to no impact on HP without FI or N20.
Yes that may be the case...I'll find out. I am reverting to stock heads and cams and retaking it from there to see...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
california