Strange event on way home - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Strange event on way home

Pulling from a stoplight I took it to about 4k RPM, light throttle, then shifted to 2nd. All of a sudden my car started surging, the Rpms bounced from 2-3k and the traction control started flashing. It felt like I was on a motorcycle with a flat rear tire with a loppy bounce and a weird side to side wobble. I turned off the traction control real quick and pulled over into a parking lot.

When I pulled Into the lot I left it running. It idled fine and sounded normal, no flat tires, nothing was in the road for me to break loose on. When I got back in and started driving, my car was abnormally quiet. I have the Roush AB and normally it's pretty rumbly from idle to 2500ish then it gets loud and kind of buzzy under normal throttle. Well now it doesn't sound the same, it's the same rumbly sound all the way up to 4k-ish(I didn't go higher).

To me it sounds like the vvt is not changing over. It was abnormally quiet the whole ride home, about 55miles. It drove smooth, just abnormally quiet from what I've experienced with the Roush. I didn't notice any of the distinct valve shift tone change, it's almost like it's not doing the vvt thing.

I did notice on my way too work this morning, in 5th about 2500 I had a weird high pitched drone like buzz and in 6th under 2k the hum was almost unbearable. Almost like someone had a 15" sub with 5000 watts aimed at my face. This has been sort of normal for the last 3k miles I've had the Roush on, just normally it's less annoying/noticeable and not as loud.

So my conundrum is, was it normal before and now it's broken, or was it not normal before and whatever happened tonight made it normal? The way it sounds tonight is not bad it's more subtle, a distinct growl, no buzz at all until 6th gear at 1500-1750rpm and even then it's 80% quieter than it normally is.

The Roush AB is my only mod atm. I have 5500 miles on the car. It's a 2014 base 6mt.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like steering rack and pinion. Similar thing happened to me my first week of having the car. Got it fixed under warranty.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
Sounds like steering rack and pinion. Similar thing happened to me my first week of having the car. Got it fixed under warranty.

Sent from my Mustang.

I don't see how. Doesn't seem like the r&p would be involved in any way. Steering has felt ok, maybe a tiny bit of wandering since the LCAs were replaced but I figure that was due to the realignment they did. Would a bad r&p make it lurch, RPM bounce and, then distinctly change the engine/exhaust sound? I'm not 100% car retarded I just can't put the two together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

All the same stuff happened to me except my steering wheel locked up. Then was fine for like 30 seconds, then locked up again. Dash lights when crazy, engine started to spaz a bit. Luckily I was close to home, so I was able to handle it for like another minute, but that's what happened. Could be something else, but I'm just letting you know my experience and the diagnosis they gave me.

Sent from my Mustang.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Did you check out your exhaust system? It seems like the sound is what's concerning you most I would start there... Maybe you lost a clamp? Maybe one muffler is coming apart(i would hope not).
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That doesn't explain the dash lights tho.

Sent from my Mustang.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm almost wondering if the surging and hopping didn't re-seat the ABs or something. It sounds good, just like 80% quieter than it was this morning.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've never really had anything to compare it too other than YouTube. I always wondered if the amount of resonation was correct. It never really bothered me until this morning. Then to have it go to virtually no resonation/drone instantly after the traction control randomly kicked in and there was some jostling around was weird.

Basically I'm getting all the good sound of the Roush and none of the drone/rasp/resonation which has lowered the overall volume by like 80% inside the cabin.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe you hit the muffler break in period lol.

Sent from my Mustang.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Strange event on way home

I have a sort of related incident. It's happened twice thus far. Dry driving conditions, low speeds ( 20-30mph ) and all of a sudden the traction control starts flashing. Wheel gets extremely tight, the brakes dig in and give like a staggered vibrating that fights your foot and the car feels like the wheels on are ice. Happens for 2-3 seconds. Mind you, COMPLETELY dry conditions, straight line driving. One was an extremely soft curve. Any ideas? It's really weird...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Took it in today, they hooked it up and looked for event codes for the trac control. Nothing out of the ordinary. They checked all the exhaust and no leaks, all the clamps looked good. So at this point I guess it is an anomaly. The exhaust is still quieter. But that's good I guess, less resonation/drone. I ordered my CAI while I was there, so I guess I have that going for me.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Sorry man. Hope you get it figured out. I hate when that crap happens to me because I'm paranoid for months afterward.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang