In search of deeper/louder exhaust note - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

In search of deeper/louder exhaust note

Hey guys. pretty new here. Just starting to mod my 2014 V6. Already installed Roush axle back, Air Raid CAI, and some appearance mods. Looking to get a Bama Tuner, BBK shorty headers and catted X-pipe, and possibly 3.73 gears and new throttle body in the future.

How much louder/deeper will the catter x-pipe and shorty headers make the car?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415468624.583695.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	901.9 KB
ID:	169381Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415468687.720112.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	750.8 KB
ID:	169382Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415468725.443305.jpg
Views:	3466
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	169383

2014 V6, Air Raid CAI, Roush Axle Back, Roush side window louvers, MMD side scoops, black hash marks.
sterlyinggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The catted x pipe will definitely make it louder.. and sound more like a Honda lol

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 11-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Well then how I do I make it deeper?

2014 V6, Air Raid CAI, Roush Axle Back, Roush side window louvers, MMD side scoops, black hash marks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Shorties will make it a little deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The problem I see with a 3.7 V6 is this:::::

If you make it loud as you would with Borla Ataks or such. The V6 puts out a higher pitched exhaust note. ( Sounds terrible to me)

If you go for the Magnaflow streets or Borla touring s they have a nice deep rumble but neither one is loud.

The stingers are in between.

I have heard the Borla touring with BBK Shorty's and they did sound really good. They are on Siber Express's Mustang and he likes the way they sound. I did like the note but they were still louder and higher pitched then my Streets.

It seems like when you open up the flow on our 3.7's the tone gets raspy and higher and there is not much you can do about it. Add resonators but then you are back to not so loud.

With Borla, the three Mufflers they sell all perform exactly the same but put out different levels of sound.

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard borla stingers with shorty headers and they sound nice and deep. Pretty loud too.

fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like I said, The touring s sounded good.

Here is a comparison.

They were not overly loud and I'm pretty sure the stingers would be louder and probably raspier.
I guess it's like the old saying !
Pipes are in the ear of the beholder

Ken's Mustang sounded great and if the tourings have the same high performance flow as the Ataks or stingers, Why suffer all the noise and awful drone if you don't have to. Also, Why hate the drone and stick resonators on that will cut down flow, add weight and have four extra pipes clamps to cause trouble some day.

I ave a 3.7 V6 and I'm saying you can have one that sounds good but A V6 will NEVER EVER sound as good as a V8.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
^ I have the s-types and they dont drone at all nor are they raspy. Have a nice, clean tone. Not really a fan of the touring as they are way too quiet. I think the s-types are the best sounding axlebacks made for the v6.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
My ATAKS are very loud, but surprisingly not that raspy. Even with a Catless X pipe. No drone either. There's a slight hint, but only when cruising at 80-85 with 3.73 gears.

My old set up of the Pypes mid muffler catback and catted x pipe was very deep and had a nice rumble. But it did get raspy after about 3000 rpm and the drone is horrible when you go to 3.73 gears.

Keep in mind, if you want to sound like a V8, buy a V8. Just make this sound like the best V6 you can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I love my magnaflow competition exhaust and bbk shortys it sounds so deep and muscle car.. it gives it that sound nd that aggressive burp

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 11-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlyinggrey View Post
Hey guys. pretty new here. Just starting to mod my 2014 V6. Already installed Roush axle back, Air Raid CAI, and some appearance mods. Looking to get a Bama Tuner, BBK shorty headers and catted X-pipe, and possibly 3.73 gears and new throttle body in the future.

How much louder/deeper will the catter x-pipe and shorty headers make the car?Attachment 169381Attachment 169382Attachment 169383

Roush will sound like crap when you replace the mid pipe, if will definitely be louder but not in a good way.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Roush will sound like crap when you replace the mid pipe, if will definitely be louder but not in a good way.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

Even if I get the mid pipe catted with shorty headers?

Old 11-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Even if I get the mid pipe catted with shorty headers?

IMO yep! Once you remove the resonators.......... Loud poop. Its all personal preference though and my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. What sounds terrible to one person might sound great to another. But IMO the sound just gets ridiculously loud and is a raspy mess. Roush sound great as ABs/ shorties combo or just ABs. If I go high flow my Roush will be sold in place for something a little quieter to help balance my sound. I like it loud but stupid loud/raspy doesn't sound good on our 3.7s.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
IMO yep! Once you remove the resonators.......... Loud poop. Its all personal preference though and my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. What sounds terrible to one person might sound great to another. But IMO the sound just gets ridiculously loud and is a raspy mess. Roush sound great as ABs/ shorties combo or just ABs. If I go high flow my Roush will be sold in place for something a little quieter to help balance my sound. I like it loud but stupid loud/raspy doesn't sound good on our 3.7s.

So do you suggest I don't get a mid pipe, and just get shorty headers and instead of the mid pipe, a get a new throttle body or gears?

Old 11-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's your call, just throwing my 2¢ out there. I'm just not sure your going to get the "deeper" sound your looking for, louder...... Definitely. You mention gears or TB, I can honestly say that knowing what I know now gears would have been my first mod hands down! Those 2.73s that I had were absolutely terrible compared to my 3.73s! With the stock gears I could hit 125 km/h in 2nd! Ridiculous. Before you pull the trigger on any mod, research, then research some more and then when you've found what you want....research one more time lol. Hope this helps, happy modding.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
That's your call, just throwing my 2¢ out there. I'm just not sure your going to get the "deeper" sound your looking for, louder...... Definitely. You mention gears or TB, I can honestly say that knowing what I know now gears would have been my first mod hands down! Those 2.73s that I had were absolutely terrible compared to my 3.73s! With the stock gears I could hit 125 km/h in 2nd! Ridiculous. Before you pull the trigger on any mod, research, then research some more and then when you've found what you want....research one more time lol. Hope this helps, happy modding.

Thanks for the tips! I've been researching for a few months but this seems like an endless circle!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is one of the deepest v6's I've heard. Here is a clip of a warm start with some revs.

2014 Mustang exhaust: http://youtu.be/cAM2hDQBq6o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
Mine is one of the deepest v6's I've heard. Here is a clip of a warm start with some revs.

2014 Mustang exhaust: http://youtu.be/cAM2hDQBq6o

Sounds really good! Thumbs.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hey fast ford 13 I have been looking at getting some bbk shorty headers but from what u have seen online the headers get rid of some of the pop and gurgle with the roush axle backs which I really like and don't want to lose, just wondering what you think of the combo?

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Black upper and lower retro billet grille
MMD 551c matte black rims
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The shortys will give it a better deeper gurgle.. love my shortys.. and to the OP I would get the shortys for deeper exhaust and the gears.. both will give a much better off the line..

Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno07 View Post
Hey fast ford 13 I have been looking at getting some bbk shorty headers but from what u have seen online the headers get rid of some of the pop and gurgle with the roush axle backs which I really like and don't want to lose, just wondering what you think of the combo?

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
My Roush still pop with the shorties, and they really clean the tone up. If you have or are considering Roush, you really can't go wrong with a set of shorties. Other than the ****ty finish (chrome) and overall lack of quality of my bbk headers, they do sound really good and give some noticeable low end tq. Don't worry, they will still pop, and make your Roush sound even better.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My Roush still pop with the shorties, and they really clean the tone up. If you have or are considering Roush, you really can't go wrong with a set of shorties. Other than the ****ty finish (chrome) and overall lack of quality of the bbk headers, they do sound really good and give some noticeable low end tq. Don't worry, they will still pop, and make your Roush sound even better.

That's good news, looks like I might have to get my self an early Christmas gift.

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

3.7s never sound deep...I'm sorry but if you wanted deep you should have gone with the 5.0

Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I disagree, they can be deep, but they will never sound like a v8

rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
3.7s never sound deep...I'm sorry but if you wanted deep you should have gone with the 5.0

Thanks but this information is not what we are discussing.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
I disagree, they can be deep, but they will never sound like a v8

+1, you can get a deep tone with a 3.7, just not a loud deep tone like a V8.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
@sterylinggrey I have magna flow streets, it is a calm deeper sound. Which is what I wanted. I added on shorty headers, it increased loudness by maybe 2 points, nothing crazy. It sounds perfect right now. Almost v8 like. Nice and deep, slightly bubbly. I have heard long tube headers with x pipe and borla attacks and it sounds like crap in my opinion. It sounds like a ricer!! but yes it is extremely loud and I mean LOUD! I believe the best combo is shorty headers, borla touring, magna flow streets, or borla s, and maybe the x pipe or h pipe. WHY? The exhaust without the midpipe has a perfect pitch and loudness with that combo. If someone wants more power or more loudness, I feel it wouldn't be as drastic adding an x or h pipe with one of those combos, as if I had a pair of Already loud Roush axles on.
GrbbrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
One more comment. . if you decide on x pipe or h pipe I would trade or swap the Roush axlebacks.. If not the combo would be extremely loud and after 2.5-3k rpm it will sounds very very raspy. Now If you just add the shorty headers, I have heard they complement the Roush axle backs very well!
GrbbrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I don't understand how people say a 6 cylinder mustang will sound like a 4 cylinder honda, I read a review that said the roush axle-backs made her car "sound like a 4 banger" which makes no sense cuz there are a lot of honda's around here that sound nothing like my car. Obviously it will NEVER sound like a V8 because it's a V6 but it will never sound like a honda, but I do agree that some long tube headers, x/h pipe and most axle-backs IMO sound bad, I haven't heard any shorty headers plus x/h pipe and axle back combos.

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno07 View Post
I don't understand how people say a 6 cylinder mustang will sound like a 4 cylinder honda, I read a review that said the roush axle-backs made her car "sound like a 4 banger" which makes no sense cuz there are a lot of honda's around here that sound nothing like my car. Obviously it will NEVER sound like a V8 because it's a V6 but it will never sound like a honda, but I do agree that some long tube headers, x/h pipe and most axle-backs IMO sound bad, I haven't heard any shorty headers plus x/h pipe and axle back combos.

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Exactly. Thumbs. Some people just don't get it even if you spoon feed them.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Here is an example of a deep/loud exhaust. This was my Pypes mid muffler catback with catted shorty x pipe and longtubes. The only problem is it overwhelmed my camera's mic so it cuts in and out. I haven't recorded my new setup yet.

Exhaust Vid mp4: http://youtu.be/0LSs0q17V34

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbbrBlue View Post
One more comment. . if you decide on x pipe or h pipe I would trade or swap the Roush axlebacks.. If not the combo would be extremely loud and after 2.5-3k rpm it will sounds very very raspy. Now If you just add the shorty headers, I have heard they complement the Roush axle backs very well!

This looks like what I will be doing! Along with new gears and a tune!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've got borla long tubes, had a shop replace the borla x pipe I had with a h pipe, and borla s types.. I also have the throttle body and air raid intake with a tune and overall I'm happy with the sound of my car. Honestly if it was a bit quieter I wouldn't complain at all so I'm actually thinking of adding resonators. Anyways im a +1 on the gears as an option I just swapped to 3.55s and it made the largest difference yet. I'm new to the forum here and was just curious to see what others did for their own cars.
2014 V6 6 speed, air raid intake, bbk throttle body, 91 octane nitrous tune, borla long tubes, custom h pipe, borla s-type mufflers, 3.55 gears, nitrous outlet wet plate w/ 100 shot , line lock, drag shocks, bmr lower control arms
John316hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Seriously...lol wow! The comments on here are just dumbfoundingly stupid!! There are some major retards on here its just too funny. Poor kid just want a a deeper and louder than stock exhaust... it's not rocket science.

OP- X pipe will give you a NASCAR sound...not bad but a slightly higher note. H pipe will give you a deeper tone.
Removing your cats will add rasp and give you that "ricey" sound people are talking about...like a 350z with an exhaust.
Axel backs a a tricky topic. They change in soumd based on the set up. Some more than others. It's hard to say.
Just for reference as I seam to be one of the only ones in here to have done this but I have the bbk Shortie headers, GT OEM H pipe, and MagnaFlow Street series axel backs. Has a nice low tone, not too loud but puts a stock exhaust to shame.
Also if you can find a good deal a CAI will add a little deep note to the over all sound. Not in the exhaust but to the entire driving tone.
That's my 2 cents. Again it's all your choice but there is no point...IMO on you EVERYONE getting a TB...save the $400!! Buy a nice hood or some suspension. Something that will actually be of some benefit.
Now now be nice...

Every one has their own opinion and that's fine. What one likes others hate, for instance I would never put the Roush AB on my car. Personally I think they sound like crap.

While exhaust work isn't rocket science it does take some thought. It's like a puzzle and all the pieces need to fit what you're trying to accomplish. I hate drone and would do anything to get rid of it.

Lastly you talk about a 350z. I traded a 350z for my Mustang and I can tell you this for a fact, I got better tone from my 350z than I have from my Mustang so far. I put a Nismo catback on it and it was beautiful. On the Mustang there are too many choices and variables with the mid pipe. I loved and missed the tone I had in my Z. I'm going to be doing some exhaust work on my Mustang this winter. I'm thinking I'll be doing a Mac weld in Pro chamber, BBK shorties and Borla or Magnaflow AB....we'll see.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This looks like what I will be doing! Along with new gears and a tune!

With Roush I think its your best option. What gears are you thinking of putting in?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust