anyone else ever get random egg smell? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
anyone else ever get random egg smell?

i mean, for a year old car, could the cats be going bad this soon? randomly if I get on it, i'll smell that rotten egg smell slightly. if i'm backing up into my driveway, i'll randomly get a whiff as i back up into where the exaust just was, ya know? i mean, for less than 10k miles, could cats be bad already?

i should probably just take it to ford to ask them about that smell, and the random clunkiness you hear at lower speeds shifting between 1st and 2nd (which i'm pretty sure is just the 2 piece driveshaft that everybody says makes noise) but i just haven't had time to bring it in yet.

the smell is kinda annoying, but it's so random. i use regular gas as well, but i'm sure most of you do too. could that be it? anyone else ever notice it?
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
I've always thought it was the burning gas from getting on it
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Your just fine.

The exhaust does smell like rotten eggs because it is designed to have that odor. All cars smell like that if you stand behind one. I think it is because of the ethanol.
You are backing through the fumes and that is why you can smell it.

Now if your just sitting in your car with the engine running and you smell the fumes you probably have an exhaust leak.

Idiots that remove their muffler and leave the pipe under the car without putting on some sort of extensions are OK as long as they keep moving. As soon as they stop for a long traffic signal they are breathing the fumes and very well could pass out or die. Now, That is just plain dangerous.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have a problem with smells but I got my 13 GT with 15k miles and now it has 30k... But I do hear clunking at lower speeds and always assumed it was something with the clutch because it only occurs when i clutch in

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I had the egg smell when my car was newer, but come to think of it I haven't smelled it for quite some time (2014 with 11k miles)
Charlotte Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

hmm so you're thinking maybe it'll pass? I notice it sometimes very rarely on my parents 98 pathfinder, but that things a clunker so the cat is probably just going bad lol... but do you think a brand new Mustang would have an exhaust leak?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

DUH !!!!!! DUH !!!!!

It's the way exhaust smells.
It is lead free gas and it always had the same rotten egg exhaust smell.

If it makes you feel better, Take you car to the dealer and let them check it out.
If nothing else, It will give them a good laugh when you leave the shop.
*********************************OR**********************************************
You really may have an exhaust leak which I seriously doubt.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My wife's 07 Lexus smells like that when on the gas for a long period of time like getting up to highway speed.
I always thought it was the cat converter and it was normal since running premium fuel all the time. It passes PA's emissions every year so I know nothing is leaking.
Take it back to the dealer if it bothers you.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

nah, I won't waste theirs or my time if you guys are telling me this isn't an issue. my Frontier did this randomly too, and i thought the cats were always going bad since it was an 01 with almost 200k miles... but we never got them replaced because my dad said there was nothing wrong with em. so if it's just normal, then it's fine.

how do you know when the cat is bad then? when it's a constant rotten egg smell?

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Cats last a very long time.

As long as you stick to un-leaded gas and do not use an additive you don't need in the first place. The cats will go 100,000 miles or more.

You may be to young to know or remember that when the government took the lead out of the gas and made the manufactures install cat's on all cars and forced the use of unleaded gas. The major complaint was the rotten egg smell the cars were putting out.
Even though the pollution's were way down coming out the tailpipe the smell was horrible. People complained a lot about it.
After a while a few changes were made to the gas additive and lowered the smell but it was still there but not as strong. It is still there but needs to be. If the smell was not there and you had an under car exhaust leak you would pass out from carbon monoxide because unleaded gas is odorless. You will smell it now and know you have an exhaust pipe problem.

When they first started with no-lead gas in all new cars the old cars without a converter could still buy leaded gas. The leaded gas pump had a larger nozzle that would not fit into a new car. The un-leaded cars had a skinny nozzle that we still use today.

Some really stupid idiots would send to J.C.Whitney to buy an adapter that would allow them to put leaded gas in their cars that were made for un-leaded. It ruined the Cats and was not covered buy warranty. At that time the cats were very, and I mean very expensive to replace. The lead in the gas would melt the stuff in the converter and plug it up solid. Then the car would not run.
Then they wanted the dealer to remove the cats, No way, The dealers faced a large fine if caught. Same with muffler shops. Not to worry, J.C.Whitney and stores like Pep boys and Penn jersey stared selling pipes with clamps to replace the cat's.
It took a few years for 99% of everybody to figure out that cars run just fine if you just use the un-leaded gas and leave the converters alone.

Now we have "ETHANOL" which is really stupid but Al Gore and some of his crooked friends had this introduced to America as a real breakthrough in saving resources. They make millions of$$$$$ while we get crappy MPG and pay more for our gas. It burns no cleaner then just plain non-leaded and ruined a lot of the older cars. It collected moisture in your gas tank if you let your car sit to long. It is just plain a money maker for some bad politicians. All food prices have increased because the corn they used to feed the livestock now goes to expensive gas. It caused just about everything we use or eat to increase in cost to US.
This is getting long so I guess I'll stop.
Oh ! let me add one more thing.

Ronnie
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
This is the smell you get when you have catalytic converters. I had this all the time when I got on it. I removed my cats and went to a free flowing setup. Now it smells like a burnt firecracker and gasoline. Much better. But this is normal for the standard mid pipe

The original... Boss 227!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Ronnie - great post. Thanks for the info

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

ronnie, thanks for that post! you're right, I'm only 27 so I wasn't alive when they had leaded gas, so i grew up with cars with cats.. but surprisingly never thought twice about the smell, but of course now I buy a brand new car and i'm just being over protective since I'm under warranty haha... good info in that post though!!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #14

Region: Delaware
I had that egg smell when the car is new or when the car is left in sun, went to bbw and got a premium freshner

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
paulstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
i mean, for a year old car, could the cats be going bad this soon? randomly if I get on it, i'll smell that rotten egg smell slightly. if i'm backing up into my driveway, i'll randomly get a whiff as i back up into where the exaust just was, ya know? i mean, for less than 10k miles, could cats be bad already?

i should probably just take it to ford to ask them about that smell, and the random clunkiness you hear at lower speeds shifting between 1st and 2nd (which i'm pretty sure is just the 2 piece driveshaft that everybody says makes noise) but i just haven't had time to bring it in yet.

the smell is kinda annoying, but it's so random. i use regular gas as well, but i'm sure most of you do too. could that be it? anyone else ever notice it?
i always thinks its extra fuel from it running rich. if you notice when you slam on the gas it sort of 'climbs onto the cams' where you get a sort of delayed feeling then a power rush. i think its just trying to dump fuel in and its not burning all of it at that time

Sent from my LG-E980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordcrashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcrashdummy View Post
i always thinks its extra fuel from it running rich. if you notice when you slam on the gas it sort of 'climbs onto the cams' where you get a sort of delayed feeling then a power rush. i think its just trying to dump fuel in and its not burning all of it at that time

yes I have noticed that many times. when i first got the car I thought it was a hesitation issue, but then I read everybody has that delay so it's fine.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
yes I have noticed that many times. when i first got the car I thought it was a hesitation issue, but then I read everybody has that delay so it's fine.

thats the variable valve life... civics arent any good until vtec kicks in. and there just finally getting there cams to advance by that point

fordcrashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang