Weird Dash light; "Limp Home" mode? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Weird Dash light; "Limp Home" mode?

So about 15 mins ago I left for work. It was about 36-37* out. Started the car sat for a min then left. Sat at a light for 2-5 mins then started to drive again about 30 later the "wrench" light over on the right side of my dash (inside the RPM gauge) lit up and my car just stopped accelerating. I was able to maintain a speed for the 30 sec it took to pull over and turn into a parking lot. I shut the car off checked under the hood and everything was fine...no weird smell no smoke not even heat rising off the headers...just nothing. I start it up and its fine drove it into work.

Now looking at the manual it says that light means the throttle has gone into "Limp Home" mode....what does that even mean? Could my TB had just been too cold and hesitated too much so the engine stopped it? I have heard of TB freezing up on people in colder climates especially those with CAIs...just curious what it could be and if anyone has had that come up before?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
The car goes into limp home mode when something is wrong to prevent doing further damage.

Check for codes.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No codes...CEL didnt even flash once or go on...just the wench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
You checked for pending codes also?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Yes. "Limp home" mode is activated to allow the engine to continue to run, without producing any severe damage by using a pre-programmed set of parameters by the ECU (engine control unit). It will use a standard air/fuel mixture mapping, and a very limited timing setting.

This occurs when an important sensor has reported a failure, forcing the ECU into this limp home setting.

There should be a code stored, unless it cleared, and you are no longer in the limp mode (wrench light off).

As an example, I had this happen to me when I forgot to tighten the clamp from the throttle body tube to the air cleaner filter box. The MAF sensor went nuts when the hose popped off the air cleaner box on my way to work one morning. The MAF was detecting way to much air (duh) that the ECU could not compensate for. Pulled over, and was able to use a dime as a screw driver to tighten the clamp after re-attaching the hose. Started the car, wrench light cleared, and no CEL codes.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I've seen several folks with bad TB's. But as mentioned check for leaks.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So it sounds like from what bucko says that whatever faulty reading you had is no longer an issue. I don't think it was too cold though... I've driven my mustang in sub zero temps several times and it drove totally normal.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger that gets a CEL on for about 30 seconds or less on a startup in cold weather (yea, Florida got to 45 degrees a few weeks ago). I connected the tuner I had, but no "stored" codes, as the CEL clears after about 30 seconds after startup.

I just bought a code reader, and plan to connect it on the next "cold snap" we get in Florida, then check the code as soon as it comes on.

To the OP, if it happens again, have a code reader handy to plug in and capture it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, no more wrench light...first time thats ever happened. I had my coupler pop off once way back after getting an Airiad. Went WOT and then tried to drive like normal and it just stalled. popped the hood cupler poped off the TB, I didnt tighten it well enough, but no wrench light or CEL.

Well if it happens again I'll plug my SCT into it to see what code or why its doing that. Car wasnt warmed up though... at least it wasnt like the time I was in Cruise Control on the freeway and dropped it into 4th to take off after a buddy and the car died...lol it just turned off completely. Turned the key right back on and never had that happen since.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
You checked for pending codes also?
Once I turned it off and then restarted it there was no light and no codes to read....it was just during that one cycle...
Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You may never get it again. I got it once in my Roush back in 08 when the car was new and it never came back.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it comes back again.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I figured...like I said I've had a couple things happen in this car and of all the serious issues...none have happened more than one time.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Try checking your cai intake coupler, make sure it's still tight, it happened to me before the car didn't run right and it seems like it's gonna die.. Opened the hood and my coupler connecting my cai wasn't tight enough, retightend it and now my car runs fine. I checked from time to time while you're at it check all the bolts from your BBK headers make sure there is no leaks or retightened all the bolts.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I make need to check the heart bolts but I took apart the intake and refastend it. It was pretty tight though. Sturdy. Headers don't make a peep either. Had the car running with the hood popped no odd sounds or signs of a leak...no idea what happened but let's hope it doesn't come back
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I make need to check the heart bolts but I took apart the intake and refastend it. It was pretty tight though. Sturdy. Headers don't make a peep either. Had the car running with the hood popped no odd sounds or signs of a leak...no idea what happened but let's hope it doesn't come back
It's fine sometimes cold weather does this to our car, I don't know if you remember when we went for a datalog the very first time and I just started the car and the car just felt like it will turn off. I don't know if you noticed it. It does this to me when it is very cold and I didn't give the car enough time to warm it up but no codes or anything. I wouldn't worry about it and just look for codes. Welcome to mass bro not even cold yet, it will get below zero and that would really suck, start it for a minute or two before running it.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
It's fine sometimes cold weather does this to our car, I don't know if you remember when we went for a datalog the very first time and I just started the car and the car just felt like it will turn off. I don't know if you noticed it. It does this to me when it is very cold and I didn't give the car enough time to warm it up but no codes or anything. I wouldn't worry about it and just look for codes. Welcome to mass bro not even cold yet, it will get below zero and that would really suck, start it for a minute or two before running it.

LOL I had a feeling the cold was playing a part in it. I didn't drive any differently than an old 89 year old would, but I didn't let it warm up. I'll do that from now on. Give it at least 5 mins. It drove a little odd too, like it was sludgy
Old 11-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
LOL I had a feeling the cold was playing a part in it. I didn't drive any differently than an old 89 year old would, but I didn't let it warm up. I'll do that from now on. Give it at least 5 mins. It drove a little odd too, like it was sludgy
I had this from time to time when its freezing out.. I usually wait till my rpm drops to 1000.. Didn't have any issue yet after I got my new revision from Mpt but will see. I don't know if the culprit is bad gas too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang