Exhaust Drone - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I decided to order the Borla touring.
woot woot! I don't think you will be disappointed. Try to find them used though? I bought mine lightly used for $450 from ocmustang. There's no reason to buy mufflers new IMO... it's not like they wear out.

Anyway, my gf and I will finish the experiment the weekend of Nov. 21st, so I will post the results in the early part of that week. The reason we need to wait until then is that she won't be in my town until that weekend, and we need to run the remaining trials on the same road that we ran the previous trials on or it will mess up the data. Maybe you can wait a couple weeks to see if whatever we report changes your mind?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have seen a pair of borla pro xs mufflers ready to bolt on a 2011+ mustang. For less than 150 bucks on Craigslist. Basically same as borla touring (or maybe slightly louder without any drone). Let me see if I can find a link

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Thanks guys. I already ordered them. 548.00 with our discount.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #39
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Corsa's adds and the reviews I've read claim zero drone. I have no personal experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Does anybody know how bad of a drone there is with a muffler delete?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight92 View Post
I don't know from experience, but I can only imagine it would be awful, not to mention probably illegal for decibel level. At the track I have seen/heard that, but those people are bringing their cars in on trailers, not driving on the streets.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #42
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I agree with Sakib, I think it would make you go crazy. I dont even think it would sound that good personally.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree with Sakib, I think it would make you go crazy. I dont even think it would sound that good personally.
Ive heard mixed reviews on it. Some people love it and others absolutely hate it. I listened to a few on Youtube and it didnt seem horrible, but the sound quality on youtube is always questionable.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #44
Registered Member

Regular

Put me in the hate category. I think a Mustang should have a nice deep tone tone. Muffler delete is sloppy, raspy garbage sound. Great for the track, not so much on the street.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
My Pypes catback was basically a muffler delete, only with mid mounted resonators. Sounded great and no drone UNTIL I swapped gears. Then it was crazy drone on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Ive heard mixed reviews on it. Some people love it and others absolutely hate it. I listened to a few on Youtube and it didnt seem horrible, but the sound quality on youtube is always questionable.

YouTube is ok to get a very very rough idea on what to expect from an exhaust. Personally I wouldn't change anything until you've heard it in person.

For example, the Roush AB on YouTube sounded good to me, but it sounds nothing like it does in person. Almost none of the YouTube vids have a fully broken in Roush system without some other mod like headers or xpipe. From experience, the Roush have a tinny crisp rasp when new like in the YouTube vids, but in person they are quite a bit deeper and they are completely different after 4k miles, they are much deeper, much less raspy and have almost no tinny sound to them.

I've heard some deletes on YouTube and they sounded ok, but I would be hesitant to make that jump based of YouTube.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Blacknight- you have got some excellent advice! with a muffler delete, you're basically asking for popo attention..I'm pretty sure you won't be driving your car under 3000rpm all the time, not worth the hassle if you get a ticket for being excessive db levels on a street car.

I'm guessing you want your car to be loud as fawwk, I'd suggest you either buy Flowmaster super 40 or 10 series mufflers and add a pair of resonators to tackle rasp/drone coming from your setup.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Blacknight- you have got some excellent advice! with a muffler delete, you're basically asking for popo attention..I'm pretty sure you won't be driving your car under 3000rpm all the time, not worth the hassle if you get a ticket for being excessive db levels on a street car.

I'm guessing you want your car to be loud as fawwk, I'd suggest you either buy Flowmaster super 40 or 10 series mufflers and add a pair of resonators to tackle rasp/drone coming from your setup.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Thanks a lot guys! I have heard good things about the Flowmasters, I will probably go that route!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
YouTube is ok to get a very very rough idea on what to expect from an exhaust. Personally I wouldn't change anything until you've heard it in person.

For example, the Roush AB on YouTube sounded good to me, but it sounds nothing like it does in person. Almost none of the YouTube vids have a fully broken in Roush system without some other mod like headers or xpipe. From experience, the Roush have a tinny crisp rasp when new like in the YouTube vids, but in person they are quite a bit deeper and they are completely different after 4k miles, they are much deeper, much less raspy and have almost no tinny sound to them.

I've heard some deletes on YouTube and they sounded ok, but I would be hesitant to make that jump based of YouTube.

+1 on the roush on youtube versus in person, I'm nearing 2k miles with my set (no x pipe or any other mods) and it has gotten DEEP, it definitely has a ton of break in stages and I can't wait to notice it drop down even farther if it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I had Flowmaster Force ii before and thought it drone badly. I changed them to Corsa Sport, and my Mustang has absolutely zero drone now.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Got in my Borla's today...they sure are purdy.

I love the rolled tips. Hopefully this weekend
Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got in my Borla's today...they sure are purdy.

I love the rolled tips. Hopefully this weekend
Yes they look as good as they sound. Lucky you with your perfect California weather and no salt on the roads won't need to worry about your old mufflers being rusted solid to the midpipe like I did.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Yes they look as good as they sound. Lucky you with your perfect California weather and no salt on the roads won't need to worry about your old mufflers being rusted solid to the midpipe like I did.
What are you saying perfect weather...it was probably only 70 today. On top of that we had some clouds to, so there!!

Yeah no rust issues here.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What are you saying perfect weather...it was probably only 70 today. On top of that we had some clouds to, so there!!

Yeah no rust issues here.
Clouds. Allow me to curse you while I try to get the water out of my ATAKS from the melted snow . That is one thing that bummed me out is the Borla's don't have any weep holes. Trying to get confirmation from borla that it won't void my warranty before I drill them.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular

Lol, sorry but living in Cali does have its advantages. I feel you though I grew up in Chicago. My son is in the Navy and he's doing his training there, he hates it.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Clouds. Allow me to curse you while I try to get the water out of my ATAKS from the melted snow . That is one thing that bummed me out is the Borla's don't have any weep holes. Trying to get confirmation from borla that it won't void my warranty before I drill them.

That's a bummer!! My borlas are enroute too, I wonder if s types have any drain holes in them? It's not snowing here yet, but I can easily see a water drained out from my gt500 mufflers each time I park.

Konablue didn't have any holes in his flowmasters, he drilled one on the front wall of the muffler I guess. Well his are chambered, so I wonder if position of holes should differ with borlas?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a bummer!! My borlas are enroute too, I wonder if s types have any drain holes in them? It's not snowing here yet, but I can easily see a water drained out from my gt500 mufflers each time I park.

Konablue didn't have any holes in his flowmasters, he drilled one on the front wall of the muffler I guess. Well his are chambered, so I wonder if position of holes should differ with borlas?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yeah, getting a buzzing noise because of the water in there. I've tried blasting it out on the highway but no luck.

Just gotta do 1 small 1/8th hole in the case of each muffler and it's sufficient.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #58
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
is the build up of water due to shorter drives and not getting hot enough to evap all of it?

looking for learning......
Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, getting a buzzing noise because of the water in there. I've tried blasting it out on the highway but no luck.

Just gotta do 1 small 1/8th hole in the case of each muffler and it's sufficient.

Did you hear from borla yet? Let me know

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you hear from borla yet? Let me know

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Not yet, going to call them at lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
is the build up of water due to shorter drives and not getting hot enough to evap all of it?

looking for learning......
Yes, I drive very short distances now.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

You really think it is the water that makes it buzz? I have days with zero buzz and days with it turned up to 11. Needless to say, I put some extra miles on it and hoon on no buzz days. :-p
Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
You really think it is the water that makes it buzz? I have days with zero buzz and days with it turned up to 11. Needless to say, I put some extra miles on it and hoon on no buzz days. :-p
Yep I do, because I finally took it on a small trip yesterday and today to get the exhaust nice and hot. No slosh of water and no more buzz. It's the exhaust gases and sound bouncing off the water that creates a buzz noise.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quick update: Called Borla, drilling weep holes will NOT void your warranty, provided you follow their instructions. Call them up and they'll send them to you.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quick update: Called Borla, drilling weep holes will NOT void your warranty, provided you follow their instructions. Call them up and they'll send them to you.

I don't have Borlas, but if you get directions, why not post them here for everyone who does? Might be helpful.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

I would, not too sure how to attach a document. It's just a one page PDF.

I'll have to post it to a host site later and grab a link to it.

Otherwise if you want it, just PM me an email and I'll send it.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would, not too sure how to attach a document. It's just a one page PDF.

I'll have to post it to a host site later and grab a link to it.

Otherwise if you want it, just PM me an email and I'll send it.

Looks like you are using a phone. Can you snap a picture and upload it?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Looks like you are using a phone. Can you snap a picture and upload it?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Unfortunately not, they emailed it to me.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

You would have to open mustang Evolution on your Web browser. Open this thread, click on advance and attach your file.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You would have to open mustang Evolution on your Web browser. Open this thread, click on advance and attach your file.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yeah, I'll do that when I get home to my PC.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #70
Registered Member

Regular

Got the Borla's put on today. Man, what a difference. I just did a quick drive and they sounded awesome. I'll lind out more tomorrow when I drive to work. First impression though, big difference.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust