Exhaust Drone - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Exhaust Drone

Ok it's my turn for an exhaust thread...

I have the Mac axle back on my 2014 and I really like the tone. It has a nice deep rumble to it. The only issue for me is the drone. I wouldn't say it's horrible but for me it's more than I want.

I'm not sure which way to go. I don't mind spending some money to try and decrease the drone I'm just not sure how. Should I just replace the Mac's?? I was looking at the Bassani AB,from the videos it sounds nice. I was reading that the Mac Pro Chamber helps tame an exhaust but they aren't avaible right now...then I thought about shorties but I'm reading they don't change the sound very much, just adds some depth.

What about resonators? I did a little research on this and it seems like mixed opinions. Has anyone here done resonators to "tame" your exhaust? I want to ame sure to spend my money where it will be most effective.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
When my Pypes kit started getting drone at highway speeds, I tried the resonators. Didn't do jack for it. Made the tone awful until they broke in and just made things slightly quieter.

I'm not a fan of the prochamber, on the 3.7, the limited videos I've seen that thing sounds like tinny trash.

You're going to want a full case muffler to reduce drone. So one of the Borla's are good, I and others can attest they have very minimal if any drone.

Flowmasters are pretty bad on drone, haven't heard much on Magnaflow but I do remember hearing a lot of complaints about drone with the Bassanis.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Ok this is good info, thanks.

If I go Borla it would most likely be the Touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have zero drone w my flowmasters... the raspiness noise went away w the shorty headers

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Ok this is good info, thanks.

If I go Borla it would most likely be the Touring.
I have Borla Touring and the tone and volume are music to my ears. However, it is not "zero" drone. Anything but stock will have some drone. Borla Touring is famously the most mellow and least "drone-y" muffler out there. But I get resonance in the cabin from about 2300-2600 rpm. Fortunately this is so minimal that you will only pass by it briefly. When I'm cruising on the highway at 70-80 at ~2000 rpm the hum is quite pleasant. But maybe if someone has short gears they might sit at the 2300-2600 range when cruising, and I would imagine that to be quite migraine-inducing. That said, I still strongly recommend Borla Touring.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'd recommend shorty headers. Completely removed the drone on my system where 18" magnaflow resonators barely helped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

shorty headers is where its at!!!

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

This is where I'm confused. I also believe any after market exhaust will drone, how bad is the thing. I don't want to drop 540.00 on some Borlas and still have drone. I wish I could heart hem in person...

I'm not opposed to the shorties either. I'm just confused how a header will eliminate drone? It doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have Borla S-Type and Mac shorty, so far I'm very happy with it but If you want zero drone go with the touring I had them as well and no drone at all but wanted a little more sound so I got the s type and no complaints just a little louder which is what I am looking for.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is where I'm confused. I also believe any after market exhaust will drone, how bad is the thing. I don't want to drop 540.00 on some Borlas and still have drone. I wish I could heart hem in person...

I'm not opposed to the shorties either. I'm just confused how a header will eliminate drone? It doesn't make sense to me.

I never had drone w flowmasters before header install so I can't answer that

Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you are willing to wait a couple weeks, my gf and I are in the middle of a controlled experiment to quantitatively measure drone on the borlas, compared to stock. Using a decibel meter. In the cabin, both while driving and parked, inside and outside the cabin. Different speeds, different rpms.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
I have Borla S-Type and Mac shorty, so far I'm very happy with it but If you want zero drone go with the touring I had them as well and no drone at all but wanted a little more sound so I got the s type and no complaints just a little louder which is what I am looking for.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
How do you rate the drone? 1 low 10 bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
I never had drone w flowmasters before header install so I can't answer that

I'm sorry not sure I can believe this. Flowmasters are the worst for drone. My first Mustang was a 97 GT with Flowmasters, the drone was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
If you are willing to wait a couple weeks, my gf and I are in the middle of a controlled experiment to quantitatively measure drone on the borlas, compared to stock. Using a decibel meter. In the cabin, both while driving and parked, inside and outside the cabin. Different speeds, different rpms.

Wow this is intersting. Make sure to make a thread on this.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Absolutely. I'm doing it both for self-interest and to help the mustang community. Trying to do something about the endless exhaust threads.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How do you rate the drone? 1 low 10 bad...

I'm sorry not sure I can believe this. Flowmasters are the worst for drone. My first Mustang was a 97 GT with Flowmasters, the drone was horrible.

If I would rate the drone for the touring I would go with 3 every aftermarket exhaust always have drone in it but it's nothing like overbearing after you pass cruising speed you can't hear it at all, but with my S type I would rate it as 5 but it's nothing like that would give me a headache and again after cruising speed no problem. Believe me I drove to Maryland from mass for 8 hours and no complaints and that's with my wife in the car and she has no complaints about it knowing her she always complained about everything. If you're looking for one my best advice is go with the s types if you want a little more sound to it but not overwhelming and little to no drone.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

as I stated before zero drone w flowmaster force ii

Old 11-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Drone is somewhat subjective and depends on your gearing how often you experience it.

Like before my gear swap I never had drone, but with the Pypes afterwards cruising at 80 it was awful. Now cruising with the ATAKS there is some mellow drone but nowhere near as bad as previously. With the radio on, you don't notice.

That's why I said little to none. Since mine are the most aggressive, I'd imagine the s types or touring are much better at in cabin noise.

As for shorty headers, those reducing drone is nonsense to me. The mufflers are what creates drone, and they're pretty far past the headers at that point haha.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have so little drone out of my Borla Touring I would almost call them Drone free, but I did my exhaust backwards, headers and X-Pipe went on before the Mufflers so I do not know how they sound by themselves.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have the Bassani on my V6 (3.31 MT) and like them. I describe the sound as European with a bit of a burble. But, when going up hill under certain conditions there is a touch of drone. From my reading of threads I think more folks with Autos have issues with drone. fwiw I picked mine because used/local/$. Fit/finish are top notch. I recently heard mine driven by someone else and the combo with the Airaid and axle backs was real nice from outside the car. CT if ya wanna hear them...

Sakib, good stuff but I wonder if drone is easily measured by db's.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I have the Bassani on my V6 (3.31 MT) and like them. I describe the sound as European with a bit of a burble. But, when going up hill under certain conditions there is a touch of drone. From my reading of threads I think more folks with Autos have issues with drone. fwiw I picked mine because used/local/$. Fit/finish are top notch. I recently heard mine driven by someone else and the combo with the Airaid and axle backs was real nice from outside the car. CT if ya wanna hear them...

My Magnaflow Streets on the 2.73 auto will drone going uphill also. That's the only time the wife mentions anything.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

This is so confusing. I might just have to go back to the stock mufflers. I really dont want to go that route but I also dont want to spend money when Im not sure it will even accomplish my goal.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I listened to the videos and it sounded good. I think Bassani is a top notch company who makes a great product. I appreciate the offer for listening in person but you might be a little too far for a drive...
Old 11-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

SoCal, stick or auto? They have differant mufflers. The MT's are a bit louder with NO drone and you should be able to pick them up cheap. I sold mine to Vig and he's happy with them (out side the box idea)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
SoCal, stick or auto? They have differant mufflers. The MT's are a bit louder with NO drone and you should be able to pick them up cheap. I sold mine to Vig and he's happy with them (out side the box idea)
Manual. I still have mine. I learned long ago never sell stock parts. To be honest I dont remember what the stock ones even sound like. Maybe stock mufflers with some shorties will give me a decent tone with minimal drone.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is so confusing. I might just have to go back to the stock mufflers. I really dont want to go that route but I also dont want to spend money when Im not sure it will even accomplish my goal.
I think you might be over reacting to what I said about the touring. I mean, it's really minimal drone. It's drone to be sure, but not bad at all and only in a short rpm range that you won't be cruising around.

Regarding your shorty with stock mufflers idea - that is known to be quieter than stock. But deeper. I think BigShow14 and shunc01 had that temporarily.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

oh yeah on 1- 10 I'll say 3 (2 1/2) but that is a real subjective #
Old 11-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Im totally overt hinking this whole thing. I really like the Macs and would like to find a way to decrease the drone a bit. Im sure for most people its fine, maybe Im just be to anal.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Another thing - you can be more sure if you will accomplish your goal or not if you try to find people in your area with different setups. Take a ride with someone with Borla Touring - that shouldn't be hard to find. You're a staff member... can't you use some type of NSA-like search where you filter out the members by region and mods listed on their profiles? haha
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Another thing - you can be more sure if you will accomplish your goal or not if you try to find people in your area with different setups. Take a ride with someone with Borla Touring - that shouldn't be hard to find. You're a staff member... can't you use some type of NSA-like search where you filter out the members by region and mods listed on their profiles? haha

This is a great idea and Im sure if I tried hard enough I could find people. The problem is I dont have the time for that. Work keeps me very busy during the week and my weekends are time to spend with my wife. If I could find some one close Id do it in a heart beat,,,
Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is a great idea and Im sure if I tried hard enough I could find people. The problem is I dont have the time for that. Work keeps me very busy during the week and my weekends are time to spend with my wife. If I could find some one close Id do it in a heart beat,,,

I know how that is buddy. My car and this forum have been really big time sinks in my life. Expensive hobby, both for money and time.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I went through your same struggle finding an exhaust I liked and settled for. Spent entirely too much time and especially too much money

Old 11-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you might be over reacting to what I said about the touring. I mean, it's really minimal drone. It's drone to be sure, but not bad at all and only in a short rpm range that you won't be cruising around.

Regarding your shorty with stock mufflers idea - that is known to be quieter than stock. But deeper. I think BigShow14 and shunc01 had that temporarily.

Bigshow14 had it originally and sold it to me..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I went through your same struggle finding an exhaust I liked and settled for. Spent entirely too much time and especially too much money

I did this with my 350z. I spent a lot before I finally broke down and spent the 1000.00 on a Nismo exhaust, one of the best systems I've had...period. It had such a sweet tone. That's what I'm looking for with this car...

Anyone ever try the MBRP? I can get a cat back from AM for around 515.00, it looks decent.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sorry for a little thread jack here: are your macs chambered or turbo mufflers? I looked around last night and figured borla s types are turbo style, while Ataks are chambered. Which of these 2 styles offer a throaty growl? Minimal rasp?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Sorry for a little thread jack here: are your macs chambered or turbo mufflers? I looked around last night and figured borla s types are turbo style, while Ataks are chambered. Which of these 2 styles offer a throaty growl? Minimal rasp?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

I believe they are chambered.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

I decided to order the Borla touring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust