3.7 TWIN TURBO BUILD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
3.7 TWIN TURBO BUILD

In August of 2010 I purchased a 2011 base 3.7 Mustang with the 6 speed manual transmission and 2.73 rear axle. Shortly after purchase I begin the build by upgrading the suspension, wheels, tires and brakes. The new Ford racing suspension lowered the car by 1.5" and the new GT500 wheels increased the tire width from the 225's that came on the car to 265's. Addition of the Brembo brakes made a huge difference in overall braking performance on track day. The car handles great with minimal body rotation under hard cornering. I felt the suspension and brakes needed to be completed before moving on to the twin turbo build.

This is the first of several posts for this build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MUSTANG.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	169587   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Photo_17_2.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	169588  

JCALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice keep em coming. Were all interested in those two turbos
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Cool so who will be doing the fab work what turbos do you plan on using?

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

System design and fabrication

I worked on the design and fabrication of the system for about 12 months on and off before actually doing the install. These pictures are some taken during design and development. The first decision made was to go with AeroCharger turbos due to size, variable vain turbine and the fact that they are self contained (meaning no oil or water lines needed) and they could be mounted in any configuration. I was able to get a couple of mock up turbos from AeroCharger to help in developing the headers and other attachment points. My turbos are mounted vertically which simplified the design and provided for a simple and clean package. They are not cheep, but you don't need a waste gate and boost controller to control the boost so the cost is not much more in the long run. The cast iron manifold shown is an OEM part off of the Ford Ecoboost V6 pickup. They cost about $50 each. They are almost direct bolt on, but custom brackets were needed on the rear of the heads. I don't have a picture of them mounted because they slip under the manifold at the rear of each head. These manifolds saved about 2.5 to 3 inches in clearance between the shock towers and heads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	169591   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Photo_56_2.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	169592  

Name:	My Photo_8_2.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	169593  
Old 11-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet very excited to see it.. so far there's only been 1 attempt at a twin kit that didn't exactly work out. Good luck to you sir. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No Wastegate or boost controller needed?? How do you control the boost then?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That looks like a very nice design. Oem like and good use of the space to the sides of the 3.7. I want to see this bad boy running
Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The turbos have integrated boost controllers according to there website

Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That is correct. Boost is regulated via a vacuum/ pressure diaphragm that controls the variable vain turbine.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

so... 100% of the exhaust gas is still going through the turbine housing, just however much "vane" is exposed determines the boost levels. I may need to look into this.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Have you gotten any sort of numbers on what it's putting out? I suppose with that kind of variable boost it would be hard to say outside of a dyno.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Design and development continues

I worked with Bell Inter-coolers on design and fabrication of a two in and one out inter-cooler so each turbo connects to a split lower tank and feeds to a single upper tank. During installation I installed air dams to direct all of the air that enters the lower grill through the inter-cooler. Currently I run between 8 and 10 degrees above ambient after the air leaves the inter-cooler. The MAF has been relocated to the upper tank since there is too much air for it to measure in the charge pipe near the stock location. The MAF function has to be adjusted by the tuner so the air/fuel ratio (Lambda) is correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MUSTANG TURBO PARTS.jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	169600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg
Views:	875
ID:	169601  

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	883
ID:	169602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	169603  

Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Very cool build! Can't wait to learn more. I remember reading about this a couple years ago, but the article was extremely light on the details!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Design and development continues

Work continued on the downpipes, manifold and header pipe, stock exhaust system and cats. The downpipes were a challenge but worked out well. Both the downpipes, header pipe and flanges are fabricated from 304 stainless steel. The pipe is schedule 10. Once fabrication was complete on the header pipe I had the cast iron manifolds and header pipe ceramic coated to help focus the exhaust energy to the turbo. The stock exhaust system was cut and V-bands welded on so it can be returned to stock configuration if desired. The cats are stock and I have Pype bomb tips so there are no mufflers since the turbos quieten the exhaust down considerably. Note that each down pipe has two O2 sensors. One for the computer and one for my gauge pod. I can monitor each bank using the PLX device gauges located in a Boss 302 dash mounted pod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	169605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2045.JPG
Views:	923
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	169606  

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	169607  
Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Thank you so much for posting this, it looks extremely interesting!

and I'm sure we're all interested to take a peak at this,

if you don't mind how much did the turbo and fabrication run you cost wise?
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Final install begins

Final installation culminated in getting the ceramic coated parts back. The process was exciting with few bumps as it all came together. During my first tune session in KC we discovered the issue with having the MAF located near stock position in the charge tube. At this location the sensor runs out of capacity and simple does not work. That was a real bummer to be in KC when living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but the Bar-b-que was great at Oklahoma Joes. I drove the car home making sure not go into a boost condition and proceeded to make the necessary modifications to move the MAF down to the upper inter-cooler tank. Once that was done and Christmas past I was back to KC for another try at tuning the car. This time we had success. We were only pushing a little over 5 pounds of boost on a cold January day but what a rush when I road in the car with the tuner. I remember how the car felt before with the 2.73 rear axle. In first gear I could give it full throttle with the clutch fully engaged and it would not even spin the tires. Now it would smoke the 265s in second gear with the clutch fully engaged. Amazing! The drive back to Dallas was good and bad. I still needed to do some serious adjustments to the turbo boost because they would come in so quick that the engine could not handle it. These turbos have the ability to go full boost at under 2,000 rpm so it would chatter and the engine would drown in the air. This was back in early 2013, but with some adjusting it now handles the boost very well. It is amazing how well it drives and how crazy it gets at full throttle.

Stumbled across a bracket photo that might explain what I was talking about in a previous post. Note the stainless steel bracket attached to the head. The cast iron manifold connects to this and this bracket has performed really well with no issues to date.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2113.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	169608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	169609  

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	169610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	169611  

Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Technically this would be legal in California since it leaves the cats in the stock location. This is interesting any numbers or maybe a dyno sheet?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

FINAL INSTALLATION

The final installation includes two Tiel blow off valves to prevent the turbos from bumping against the air when the throttle closes. The turbos are controlled from taps at the compressor discharge tube and they are linked together via an 1/8" hose. This keeps them working together with common boost and function. The water heater pipe that runs near the passenger side valve cover had to be raised to clear the passenger side turbo. No big problem, but another thing that had to be done.

When I took the car out for a track day at a local road course for the first time after getting the turbo system working I made a discovery that no one had mentioned on any of the builds I researched. When you take these into boost multiple times the crank case will become pressurized and push oil out of the PCV valves and on to the manifolds. After a couple of black flags I had to turn in for the day and see what needed to be done to correct this problem. I came up with a one way valve design that allows the engine to run in it's normal condition at idle and under no boost (see attached photo). When the engine goes into boost condition then the valves close and the crank case goes to atmosphere. This eliminates the crankcase boost condition completely. My next track day went without issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	169615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	169616  

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	169617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	169618  

Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

FINAL MODS

OK. All of that build involved about 2 years of work and messing with, but the results are really good. My last mods to the car involved changing the 2.73 gears to 3.55 along with a Torsen race differential and aluminum drive shaft. This was accomplished a few weeks back. I have also changed the fuel injectors to Injector Dynamics 850's since they are one of the few manufacturers that supply all of the data files necessary to tune the car. The injectors up until now were FAST 65 pound units that had no data so the tuner made the necessary guesses to make the car run pretty well. I will also be upgrading the fuel pump to a GT500 unit. The main problem I have now is a tuner guy in KC that will not return my calls who is not willing to work with me on the tune. I have discovered a new tuner locally that I will be working with over the next couple of weeks to get the new injectors locked in and new dyno numbers for the final installation. I think it will run in excess of 425 HP to the wheels with torque in the 450 range. The original tune running a little over 5 pounds of boost put down 350 hp and 400 foot pounds of torque to the wheels. I have been running 7.5 to 8 pounds of boost for the past 18 months with not problems and will be pushing it a little further to slightly over 8 pounds. I will post the results once we get through the tune process.

Note that I moved the differential vent to the diff cover in order to prevent gear oil from leaking out of the original location (on the passenger side axle housing). It used to leak quite a bit during track day when making hard left turns.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2578.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	169619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	169620  

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	169621  
Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

KC Tuner

I know someone is going to be wondering "why in crap did you go to KC for the first tunes". Well, the shop there was involved with the initial tunes on the Pro Charger super charger systems so I felt they would be the best qualified. I believe there are tuners in the DFW area now that have better capabilities for my needs.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Can you dd this car and if so what is your average mpg on 5 pounds of boost? Sorry for noob questions

Kingkong
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

It is absolutely a daily driver. It drives just as nice as it did the day I picked it up from the dealer. I have over 20,000 miles on the build. If you can keep your foot out of the throttle and have the 2.73 rear axle it will get 33 mpg. I made a drive from Dallas to Austin and it logged over 33 mpg. This number was based on actual calculations of gas consumed vs miles driven, not the car computer since it has errors after changing out the stock injectors.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Probably goes from 33 mpg to single digits pretty damn fast.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Are you going to do anything with the internals, like forged pistons? I think that's really the only weak point on these motors.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Probably goes from 33 mpg to single digits pretty damn fast.
Turbos are very efficient, so you don't really see that much more usage from what I've seen.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It drinks pretty heavy at full throttle, but cruising gets really good mileage withe the 2.73's. Looks like the 3.55's will do about 26.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Are you going to do anything with the internals, like forged pistons? I think that's really the only weak point on these motors.

No plans at this time. I feel under 9 pounds of boost is pretty safe if tuned right.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

About how much money have you put into this kit? Since it's nearly all bespoke, I'd imagine it's pretty hefty.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting to see someone do something so different. Good luck with the build. Like to see what the car does when its all said and done
Raeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I saw you mentioned you had a procharger (or at least the tuner worked on them). How do you feel about that set up for DD vs a turbo set up? While I would love to have a turbo, I get nervous on the reliability side versus something like a procharger system, especially with limited access to qualified tuners.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I did not have a pro charger, just used the same tuning shop for my initial tune. The primary reason I went with turbos is the fact that they do not use up any power from the engine to make boost, they boost up faster in a twin configuration, and they have little to no effect on economy while just driving on the highway.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Concerning how much I have invested: This is definitely a one off build. I could run the numbers but I really don't want to know. I would estimate around $5k. What saved me a lot of money is the fact that I did all of the design, fabrication, welding and installation. The main cost was purchase of the turbos, inter-cooler, blow off valves, and raw materials such as stainless pipe and elbows, aluminum pipe, and silicone connectors.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCALD View Post
Concerning how much I have invested: This is definitely a one off build. I could run the numbers but I really don't want to know. I would estimate around $5k. What saved me a lot of money is the fact that I did all of the design, fabrication, welding and installation. The main cost was purchase of the turbos, inter-cooler, blow off valves, and raw materials such as stainless pipe and elbows, aluminum pipe, and silicone connectors.

5 k is cheap for a quality FI setup. Most supercharger or single turbo kits are in that ballpark or more depending on what you go with and then usually you need another 1-3 k for supporting mods and tune

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
5 k is cheap for a quality FI setup. Most supercharger or single turbo kits are in that ballpark or more depending on what you go with and then usually you need another 1-3 k for supporting mods and tune

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Keep in mind he fabricated almost everything himself. With the other kits in that range, they're pre-fabricated. So if you're not as skilled and need help, that's a good chunk of change on top of that.

That being said, still fairly reasonable for a twin setup.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Makes me wish I knew how to weld
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang