Discoloration(?) on Tail lights (13-14). What can I do? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Discoloration(?) on Tail lights (13-14). What can I do?

Hey,

I tried searching for this both on google and this forum. Problem is... I'm not exactly sure what the correct term for this is so I am not finding the information I need.

Both of my tail lights have these streaks going from top to bottom. It is only on the outer part. You can see what I am talking about in the pictures. I noticed this recently and I am not sure what caused it. I can't seem to wash it off either.

Any ideas on what is could be and also how to get rid of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light streaks (1).JPG
Views:	477
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	169594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light streaks (2).JPG
Views:	362
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	169595  

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Looks like something that came through the trunk seam and leaked down. Could be anything, soap residue, salt, bird ****, who knows. Have you tried using some goo gone?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't tried goo gone. I've tried scrubbing it out, washing it out with car soap. Nothing budged in the slightest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It does look kind of like condensation. Maybe a bad seal? Try blasting it with a hair dryer or a heat gun on very low and see if it starts to clear. Just don't leave it on there too long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
May be a dumb question, however have you run your car through a car wash? Some of them use really harsh soap that could stain clear coated plastic pieces.
Another idea.... Can't think of the name but it's an 'as seen on tv' item for restoring auto trim. Comes in a small bottle and has a very strong smell.
Okay, I was installing tint and the soap solution stained my inner door panel. Nothing would take it off so I tried this as a last resort and it worked immediately. If I can think of the name, I'll post it up.
Good luck!

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Get a paper towel and put a little clear vinegar on it and try to wipe it off, it looks like calcium deposits and the vinegar is a mild acid and will probable take it off.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
It looks like hard water/soap residue as it appears to be running from the trunk over the lenses. Take it to a detailer they have special semi abrasive cloths that should fix you right up.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Okay cool. I'll try all these suggestions in the next few days when I get time! Thanks for the help. Hopefully one of them works
Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Worst case scenario, you trade them for my perfectly good 2012 tail lights :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Is your car still under warranty?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If the Vinegar itself doesn't work add a little Vinegar to some baking soda & make a paste out of it. Scrub the marks out & then buff it out with Maguire's Ultimate Compound. I had Very Oxidized Tail Light on my 94, they were almost white. I did this & they were like brand new again.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Discoloration(?) on Tail lights (13-14). What can I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Worst case scenario, you trade them for my perfectly good 2012 tail lights :p

The real... boss 227

No. ::grumpy cat:: lmao
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Resurrecting my own thread for an update.

I finally asked my dealer about it and we both concluded that it is clearly streaks on the inside. The service manager took a bunch of pics and sent them to Ford. I should hear back tomorrow about a warranty replacement!

Now let us hope they somehow let me keep the old ones so I can make a little bit of mod money with them
Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'll gladly take credit for you asking the dealer since I mentioned them in discussing warranties, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Resurrecting my own thread for an update.

I finally asked my dealer about it and we both concluded that it is clearly streaks on the inside. The service manager took a bunch of pics and sent them to Ford. I should hear back tomorrow about a warranty replacement!

Now let us hope they somehow let me keep the old ones so I can make a little bit of mod money with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Hey,

I tried searching for this both on google and this forum. Problem is... I'm not exactly sure what the correct term for this is so I am not finding the information I need.

Both of my tail lights have these streaks going from top to bottom. It is only on the outer part. You can see what I am talking about in the pictures. I noticed this recently and I am not sure what caused it. I can't seem to wash it off either.

Any ideas on what is could be and also how to get rid of it?
Really fast what year is your Mustang

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Really fast what year is your Mustang

2014. I can't remember when this discoloration happened but it's been 5-6 months at least. Finally asked the dealer about it today, though. Hoping for a good outcome when they call me tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's weird it's going to be a bad seal

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang