Torn over what to get - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Torn over what to get

My options are a 99-02 cobra or mach 1, 2011-12 v6, 05-07 gt, or 2010 gt. Im overwhelmed with the options i have and im wondering what would be the best to get.
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Since you're going used, look for lowest miles, best maintenance records, insurance etc.

Personally I wouldn't do a GT without the 5.0 or cobra unless it was pristine because you know it's been flogged to beat hell.

The 11+ v6 is comparable in power to the 4.7 v8s.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
all depends on so many things. I love the 99-02 Cobra but they have surely been run hard depending on who had it. The 2010 GT has new look but old motor. Ideally I would try to see what I could do for a 11-12 GT. Then you get Coyote and new look. If thats too much of a stretch i would get the 11-12 V6. Great power, great looks and infinitely moddable to do some real fun things
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I'd go see if you can find a dealership where you could test drive some or all of what's on your list. I love my Mach 1, but I wish it was a bit more comfortable on the interior. I like the hydraulic clutches too. They started putting them on the stangs in 05. Also, maybe take a peek at the costs of modding those. Maybe the newer models cost a bit more to mod..? Just some things that might help you decide. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yeah absolutely go for the car that is going to be less beat up you dont want to have to sink a lot of money into a car just to get it to run properly. I think the mach 1 is awesome but for reliabilty and power i would go 2010 gt or the new v6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow, This is hard to decide

Everything you mention is good.
This is something your gonna have to make up your mind what you and only you would really want to own and drive.
Like Wish say's
Quote:
Since you're going used, look for lowest miles, best maintenance records, insurance etc.
A GT is fine if you can find one at a Ford Dealer that is a certified used car. They usually have a warranty and have been thoroughly checked out by the dealer. Unless your going to go racing everything on the street, a 4.6 V8 is just fine.

All of the Mustangs you mentioned are all totally different in appearance and all worth having. It is up to you to decide what body you want or what engine.

I personally love my 2012 3.7 V6 Cyclone engine-d MCA edition Mustang and don't even think of owning a different Mustang.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The 2v body style is probably close to my favorite... I can tell you one thing though from when i was shopping for one, the the cobra and mach 1 are going to carry a premium because of the name, you're going to be paying for more car than you're getting.

As much as i would love to own one of those cars, they're really just behind the times now... its an older car thats going to be more difficult to mod, need more maintenance, and you're going to have to pay a premium for it. BUT, it will be a damn cool car... the 3v GT is a wash, i wouldnt waste my time with it compared to the cyclone.

My votes are 04 mach 1 or cyclone v6, though at that point, its still really hard to say. Cool caar vs practical (but still quick) car ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'd go see if you can find a dealership where you could test drive some or all of what's on your list. I love my Mach 1, but I wish it was a bit more comfortable on the interior. I like the hydraulic clutches too. They started putting them on the stangs in 05. Also, maybe take a peek at the costs of modding those. Maybe the newer models cost a bit more to mod..? Just some things that might help you decide. Good luck!

I have driven all of them except the cobra and mach
Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
For used I personally would probably look for an 04 Cobra, but I wanted a new car so have a 14 V6 and am happy with it. I wanted a long term fun daily driver though, if I was going for a hotrod I wouldn't of gotten a Ford anyway. But at the end of the day only you can decide what would be best for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Like i love the 2010-2012 ability to change the front and rear bumper's appearance without having to paint it
Old 11-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

How old are you? If youre younger i would suggest a new car because you have to pay for less to be done to maintain the car. Odds are if you arent that old you wont have the time or money to build up an older car plus you probably wouldnt have another car to drive while you do work on the older car. Honestly, i love all of your options just a lot to consider.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thMustang View Post
How old are you? If youre younger i would suggest a new car because you have to pay for less to be done to maintain the car. Odds are if you arent that old you wont have the time or money to build up an older car plus you probably wouldnt have another car to drive while you do work on the older car. Honestly, i love all of your options just a lot to consider.

Yeah im 18. I love the new body style and power options i just cant afford to get a 5.0 and im looking at these sixers and if you can afford a turbo they can kill gt500's all day long and still get decent mpg's. All the other cars wont. But i also like the sound of a v8 and the rep that they have
Old 11-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't worry about what other people think.

One of the first rules of being happy is ---IF YOU LIKE YOUR CAR--- No matter what brand. Don't worry about if some idiot does not like it. When I was young I had 1960 English Ford that I actually raced at some Pennsylvania tracks.
My friends had street rods and 56 to 57 Chevy's. Of course I got ragged a little but when I did not let it bother me they all stopped.
When I invited my friends to come up and watch me on the track it really change a few attitudes. I was doing something with my car they would never do. I did win a few trophy's and had a lot of fun with that car.

My very first trophy

I found out early that you get what you want for your self-Not what your friends want or like. I now have a V6 2012 Mustang and I still hang with street rod people as well as Audi-Porsche owners. I even have friends with Corvette's.
I belong to a Muscle car club with about 500 members now and not one single person has ever said anything but good about how my Mustang looks,sounds or runs. If anyone knocks what you buy just take a look at what they are driving.
Ronnie
Old 11-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Get some type of GT no matter what year.... Trust me i got my 5.0 on my 18th birthday and I couldn't imagine driving a v6...plus yea the rep of a v8 is much better than a v6 just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Get some type of GT no matter what year.... Trust me i got my 5.0 on my 18th birthday and I couldn't imagine driving a v6...plus yea the rep of a v8 is much better than a v6 just saying

Rep means squat.

Drive what you enjoy, and do your research ahead of time and you'll never be unhappy.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post

Sorry but you can't talk about "rep" when you were given a brand new car (if you weren't correct me, but thats how it sounds).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
OP out of that list i would personally go with the Mach 1 or the 99/01 Cobra (priority on the Mach 1). The new V6 definitely is nice and performs very well for what it is so it is a viable option.

I bought my 2001 Bullitt 3 days after i turned 18, it was a great car for a while, then i got a new job and started making more money and modifying it. If i wasn't so attached to the car, or if i would have waited just 1 more year i probably would have gotten a 03/04 Cobra or 11/12 5.0 instead. But i still have it and keep modifying it.

Overall it is really up to you and what you want from the car. Anything 99-04 is going to be lighter than the newer years and possibly more power depending on which way you go, but the newer years are going to have more comforts than the 99-04, and a bit better mpg if that matters.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well, im thinking about a legend lime 06 gt and doing a green and black theme
Old 11-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Well, im thinking about a legend lime 06 gt and doing a green and black theme
That doesn't sound bad i haven't seen too many with that color combo but if you are okay with that engine why not upgrade to the 2010 with the nicer interior? I loved my 09 v6 but the interior in my 2014 blew me away. I love the new edge models and want to get one for a project car eventually but for an 18 year old i'd go with the 06 gt or one of your newer options. Less cash that you would have to spend on maintenance and more for modding. Just make sure if you go for a GT that you don't turn into one of those owners who looks down on us v6 guys haha
Old 11-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That doesn't sound bad i haven't seen too many with that color combo but if you are okay with that engine why not upgrade to the 2010 with the nicer interior? I loved my 09 v6 but the interior in my 2014 blew me away. I love the new edge models and want to get one for a project car eventually but for an 18 year old i'd go with the 06 gt or one of your newer options. Less cash that you would have to spend on maintenance and more for modding. Just make sure if you go for a GT that you don't turn into one of those owners who looks down on us v6 guys haha

Lol i will remember my routes. Im apparently stuck with my v6 also so i can have two mustangs
Old 11-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol i will remember my routes. Im apparently stuck with my v6 also so i can have two mustangs
If you aren't gonna sell your v6 then i would elminate getting a new v6. Your v6 looks to be new edge so i wouldnt get two of the same body. So it looks like the 06 gt or 2010 gt would be your best bet to get something new and fun.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you aren't gonna sell your v6 then i would elminate getting a new v6. Your v6 looks to be new edge so i wouldnt get two of the same body. So it looks like the 06 gt or 2010 gt would be your best bet to get something new and fun.

A friend of mine had a new edge 6 (now has a new edge GT), compared to either the 3.7 is worlds better. I sure wouldn't rule out a new 6 due to having an old one. I also disagree with the whole "buying used means you'll need money for repairs" theory. I've always bought cars more than 10 years old with over 100k (until my current stang) and it has always been cheaper in the long run. My last car was a 98 V6 5spd contour with a 150k, drove the crap out of it to 190 and sold it for $200 less than I paid 2 years prior. All I ever did was replace 2 pulleys and normal maintenance, the taxes alone on my mustang were more than I had in my Contour total, including maintenance costs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I want whatever i can make the most power out of
Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Then buy an old foxbody and put a good engine in it for less than half the cost of each of those. I've made the mistake more than once of going in with that mentality until i finally realized ... i race maybe 3-5% of the time and drive the other 95-97% of the time, so i should stop building my cars around that 5% and get something i enjoy more on a day to day basis.

So like i said, as bad as i would want an old mach 1 or something, and the fact i wouldnt bother paying the v8 premium for a 3v that makes the same hp as the v6 ... my vote is still probably the v6. A 2010 GT maybe depending on how much those cost now.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Then buy an old foxbody and put a good engine in it for less than half the cost of each of those. I've made the mistake more than once of going in with that mentality until i finally realized ... i race maybe 3-5% of the time and drive the other 95-97% of the time, so i should stop building my cars around that 5% and get something i enjoy more on a day to day basis.

So like i said, as bad as i would want an old mach 1 or something, and the fact i wouldnt bother paying the v8 premium for a 3v that makes the same hp as the v6 ... my vote is still probably the v6. A 2010 GT maybe depending on how much those cost now.

Okay i want the car to look good also. Lol
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Some won't agree- But that is OK

It is very hard to beat the looks of a 2011 or 2912 Mustang.
I think they are the absolute best looking body and front end styles since 1969.
This is MY opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Ronnie
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay i want the car to look good also. Lol
Looks are completely dependant on the individual, I've seen some very nice looking fox body's. While I like the look of my 14, I actually think the new edge looks better. The 05+ just look so massive, I actually didn't like them at all when they came out, the 2010 facelift really helped in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

Volt brings up a good point. For a decent Termi, you're looking at 18-25k all day long. For a Mach 1 you're still in the 15-17 territory.

In both of those price points you can get a very well loaded used 3.7L V6, maybe even a brand new one if you can scoop one up while the 15s are still new.

Since you're 18, I mean no disrespect but I don't think you know what you're getting into with one of the 3v. I don't know what kind of job you have, but gas and insurance especially will rape you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

There is a mach 1 with a termi supercharger for 11k right now so that is about 2k over a nice 99-02 cobra

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang