BBK Shorty install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

BBK Shorty install

Hi guys,
So I decided to get myself some bbk shorty during black friday, but with little to no experience, I wonder if it is going to be hard to install it myself. BBK's installation instruction is not very clear so I'm not sure what i will be dealing with. At the same time I wonder if I will need to buy new gasket for it as well? It will be nice if anyone can share some tips on install these header
Thank you very much!!
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If it needs new gaskets I believe it should come with it, I've never installed shorties, but did longtube headers, Shorties should be a lot easier, as well as I've heard you can do it all from the topside of the engine, but it might be easier to get underneath for some parts.
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Get a 1/2 breaker bar and at least 2 long extensions, 1/2 inch ratcheting wrench, make sure all the studs are back in the head before putting the header in and take your patient pills.
After you get them installed start the car and let it warm up and retighten the nuts before you even drop the car of the jackstands.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My opinion is this

Go to your local Ford dealer and get a set of new genuine Ford Mustang gaskets to use. I have read many times on this and other forums that the gaskets supplied by BBK are crap and prone to leak.
First thing your gonna do is unhook the battery. UES- unhook the battery
My suggestion is to do one side at a time. Remove the stock header and replace it with the BBK. When finish you move on to the other side.
Like Siber Express already told you. "BE SURE ALL THE STUDS ARE IN THE BLOCK"
He has already installed headers on his car and it looks like the car came from the factory with them installed. I seen them and they looked and sounded great with his Borla tourings.

When I do decide to install headers I'm going to use these.

But like Siber express said, Start the car, Let it warm up and re tighten the nuts and if using these just don't put the clips on until very last step.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I always like to encourage people to do their own work. It's a great experience and you will learn about your car.

Will you have help? For some one with little or no mechanical experience this could be a challenging project. You might want to find some one you help you out...do you even have all the tools you might need?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

BBK Shorty install

My car is less than 20k miles. I heard that I might just be able to reuse my oem gaskets. How true is that?
Yea I will have someone to help me out. As well as the tool part. Just wanna have like a step by step instructions so nothing gets messed up haha

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Probably fine, but let me ask... how much is a new set of OEM gaskets?
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Probably fine, but let me ask... how much is a new set of OEM gaskets?

It's just about $7-$9 a piece. Look for this part number: BR3Z-9448-C
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
It's just about $7-$9 a piece. Look for this part number: BR3Z-9448-C

That's what I figured. I'm not gonna spend 300-400 on headers and then balk at the extra 20 for new gaskets. Definitely a cheap insurance policy.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
That's what I figured. I'm not gonna spend 300-400 on headers and then balk at the extra 20 for new gaskets. Definitely a cheap insurance policy.

And if they fail, you are doing all the labor again.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
My car is less than 20k miles. I heard that I might just be able to reuse my oem gaskets. How true is that?
Yea I will have someone to help me out. As well as the tool part. Just wanna have like a step by step instructions so nothing gets messed up haha

You should be fine with the stock gaskets. There will not be a step by step unfortunately. Just take your time and pay attention to what youre taking apart. Take pics if you have to.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
BBK Shorty install

Quote:

IMO, this is the best gasket you can get. The cork gasket that comes with th shorties breaks easily which causes leaks. Especially if you are not able to tighten your install properly, the exhaust gasses will break it. I installed my shorties twice as the first one developed corrosion. For less than a year after I installed, the BBK gasket was broken in small pieces. In some areas it sticks at the heads and some at the shorties. This OEM gasket has better seal and will last longer. Only thing though, these are single use only as some protruding areas that makes the seal will more or less flat out during install. So not recommended for reuse.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. Can I install it from the top? I read that If I take out the upper intake manifold it will be a lot easier

Old 11-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You can get all but 1 bolt from the top, as for moving stuff out of the way, only thing I did was move the coolant line on the right side and used a small bungee to hold it out of the way.
Make sure you follow the instructions and get the nut on #3 (Back Cylinder right side) before tightening any of the rest of them up.
Ronnie, the 3.7 should have had these on it from the Factory
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
You can get all but 1 bolt from the top, as for moving stuff out of the way, only thing I did was move the coolant line on the right side and used a small bungee to hold it out of the way.
Make sure you follow the instructions and get the nut on #3 (Back Cylinder right side) before tightening any of the rest of them up.
So you happy with yours too? Im on the fence with these. Im not really into too much of the performance side of modding but Im reading a lot of good things about these...
Old 11-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well if it actually give you some low end tq then why not right?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey if it comes with the factory where's our fun for doing it ourselves haha.
Are you referring to the instructions from BBK?
I would assume it will be at least a 4 hours job for an inexperienced individual?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

4 hours seems realistic, also give yourself plenty of time for the car to cool down if you move it at all or even turn it on, those headers stay hot for a long time.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
So you happy with yours too? Im on the fence with these. Im not really into too much of the performance side of modding but Im reading a lot of good things about these...
Very, the low to mid range bump in power was more than worth it. It is also right where the 3.7 needs it to boot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefro View Post
4 hours seems realistic, also give yourself plenty of time for the car to cool down if you move it at all or even turn it on, those headers stay hot for a long time.

Thanks for the heads up man. Maybe I should invest in a pair of gloves as well

Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Is most of the install time based on how hard it is to get to some of the bolts and making sure everything is placed correctly? ie. being inexperienced = go really slowly to make sure you're connecting the dots?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very, the low to mid range bump in power was more than worth it. It is also right where the 3.7 needs it to boot.

Does it lose power at the top tho?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Is most of the install time based on how hard it is to get to some of the bolts and making sure everything is placed correctly? ie. being inexperienced = go really slowly to make sure you're connecting the dots?
I would say most of the install time comes from, getting the old headers off, putting the new ones on go much much faster.

and it doesn't lose top end power (which it doesnt really have anyways ) but it doesn't gain any either really, you would need long tube headers for top end power.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefro View Post
I would say most of the install time comes from, getting the old headers off, putting the new ones on go much much faster.

and it doesn't lose top end power (which it doesnt really have anyways ) but it doesn't gain any either really, you would need long tube headers for top end power.

Based on what Ive seen, the opposite seems true here. It looks pretty easy to take the old ones off. The BBK has all the extra tubing in the way.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Based on what Ive seen, the opposite seems true here. It looks pretty easy to take the old ones off. The BBK has all the extra tubing in the way.
+1, the old ones came off very easy. But even with a ratchet wrench, which helped immensely, its was still a long and tedious install.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
Does it lose power at the top tho?

No loss on the top. In fact there is a small gain by the dyno's I have seen of them.
Removal is a whole bunch easier, after the mid pipe nuts were off it was less than 5 minutes with a ratchet.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe it's opposite for longtube headers, haha I had so much room with the longtube headers.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
No loss on the top. In fact there is a small gain by the dyno's I have seen of them.
Removal is a whole bunch easier, after the mid pipe nuts were off it was less than 5 minutes with a ratchet.

Is there a video of your exhaust by any chance?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Would you guys buy it from autoanything?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there a video of your exhaust by any chance?
I'll post it up when I get home.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

BBK Short Tube Headers, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe Borla Touring A/B

Here is the Video
Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

That sounds great!!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I've installed mine 4 times, changing gaskets each time chasing a leak that ended up being a bad weld on the collector. I was able to get all bolts in the block from the top with a flex head ratcheting wrench, and a flare nut Wrench for the rear bottom passenger bolt. Removing the battery and battery tray (3 8mm bolts) GREATLY helps with access to the bolts. The harder bolts to get to are the collector bolts (the bottom two pretty much have to be removed from under the car), but a flex head socket Wrench with 15 and 17mm deep sockets also made that easy. The engine studs are 5mm btw. Bought a specialty set of tiny open/closed wrenches to get them tight. Good luck! Well worth it when they're on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Waiting for it to be shipped.
I don't have box head wrench. I only have the ratchet. Would I be able to do it still? Thanks

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Ordered mine today in ceramic for 295.00 shipped from Auto Anything. Can't wait!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang