Slid into a Curb? What did I break? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Slid into a Curb? What did I break?

So we got snow up here in Michigan and I was going up a hill and the back end slid out and hit the curb (still a novice drifter). The car shook a fair amount but the tire and rim don't appear to be physically damaged just a bit of curb rash. I had planned on getting a tire rotation soon so I'll have someone look under the car then. Until I can get the car somewhere to have a professional look at it where should I look for damage. I'm not sure what would break on a live axle in this type of incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Slapped my axle hard into a curb when i hydroplaned and nothing was wrong. Luckily if your car is mostly stock the deflection in the bushings probably prevented anything from breaking - things only break when they have nowhere else to go and are subjected to force. You can jack it up and basically just take a look at your Upper / lower control arm bushings, and see that the wheel still spins freely (checking for hub bearing damage) but i'd say you're probably fine.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The car is all stock suspension and I'm hoping nothing's broken cuz I don't have any tools and that kind of sucks good to hear your car was fine. The only thing other thing I could think to worry about is a bent rim. But I don't really care about that only spent $50 per rim exactly for this reason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Snow and mustangs don't mix. That's like having a Honda Civic with 32" rims. Just doesn't work.

12.21 @ 118.00 street tires full bolt on cobra jet 5.0 tuned MGW short throw
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Jumped a curb and horribly scrapped 2 of my Brembo wheels, blew a huge hole in one of my tires and nothing was wrong. Should be fine

Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Derped what did I break?

You can get a pretty cheap jack at wal mart or an auto parts store if your Stang didn't come with one. I would jack up each of the back tires and make sure your wheels can spin fine without any strange noises. Maybe take off the nuts and retighting them to make sure they are all even in case it threw off your balance.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
also with the rear jacked up check for wobble (idle in neutral) of rim/wheel/hub.

BE CAREFUL!!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Not only a jack is needed

JACK STANDS I'm sure you don't need the car to fall if it is running in gear and the cheap crap Walmart jack fails. ( Which they are known to do)
"MADE IN CHINA" does not mean "FINE CHINA"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have a set of high quality jack stands and a good jack at home the issue is I am away at college and I don't have anywhere to work. Also there is about 12 inches of snow in the ground. You guys have been a great help and the car seems alright I'm confident that it will make it the 3/4 of a mile to the shop down the street. I have made an appointment there to get my tires rotated and I'll have them check out the car while it's there. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
"MADE IN CHINA" does not mean "FINE CHINA"
Ronnie

thx for the laugh.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Derped what did I break?

Car is fine mechanic checked the wheels and tires when they rotated them. I told them about what happened and they gave me the green light. So the only damage is a little bit of rim rash but who cares that's why I got a second set of rims for winter
Thanks for the help everyone and drive safe

Edit: thought it was worth mentioning that this was a result of my own stupidity and that my mustang on a michelin defender all season tire has handled 6-10 inches of snow very well. I have to start in second gear and the car gets squirrelly every once in a while but it is manageable, braking distance is on par with every other car I've driven in snow and acceleration is sometimes a challenge but the car always pulled through.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
The one good thing about solid rear axles is the are very strong. I drifted into a curb buried in snow that I didn't see hard enough to bend the axle shaft and of course bent the rim to hell, nothing else broke. On a IRS rear there would probably be a lot more damage

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang