Brake Ducting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Brake Ducting

Does anyone have brake brake ducts on their 2011-12 mustang v6? Do u know if there is a kit that will fit the v6? I know I'll have to buy a GT bumper or make my own inlets on my v6 bumper to fit the hoses in the front bumper but is there a kit that will fit on the v6 rotor part?

Marc
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
idk about the brackets but I've read post where people used the foglight housings for inlets.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you dont mind maybe having to get a little custom, this is what i run on my 2013, and it looks like it could be made to work.

These dust shields are really designed to get air inside the 14" Brembo top hat, but i dont know that anyone makes anything specific for the 12.5" v6 rotors. I have them on my 13.2" GT brakes and they do cover a good bit of the top hat. You basically just want to avoid blowing only on the rotor face, because then each side will cool differently and could cause cracking. Their customer service is top knotch though, and they can likely answer these questions if you give a call.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=705

I have these as well, and you can see the shape of the 11 / 13 bumpers are slightly different, but the idea is about that same. Perhaps you could trim the bracket, maybe have to re-drill your own holes, but i could certainly see it being made to work. This would save a significant amount of cost when compared to switching to a GT/CS bumper and trying to use the FRPP ducts.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=706

Then i believe summit racing, as well as other places sells the actual ducting for the brakes, so you'll just have to shop around in that regard. Do you mind if i ask why you want them? Starting to do more road course driving?

Red - 11
Green - 13
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	169938   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	169939  

Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If you dont mind maybe having to get a little custom, this is what i run on my 2013, and it looks like it could be made to work.

These dust shields are really designed to get air inside the 14" Brembo top hat, but i dont know that anyone makes anything specific for the 12.5" v6 rotors. I have them on my 13.2" GT brakes and they do cover a good bit of the top hat. You basically just want to avoid blowing only on the rotor face, because then each side will cool differently and could cause cracking. Their customer service is top knotch though, and they can likely answer these questions if you give a call.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=705

I have these as well, and you can see the shape of the 11 / 13 bumpers are slightly different, but the idea is about that same. Perhaps you could trim the bracket, maybe have to re-drill your own holes, but i could certainly see it being made to work. This would save a significant amount of cost when compared to switching to a GT/CS bumper and trying to use the FRPP ducts.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=706

Then i believe summit racing, as well as other places sells the actual ducting for the brakes, so you'll just have to shop around in that regard. Do you mind if i ask why you want them? Starting to do more road course driving?

Red - 11
Green - 13

Thanks for the info. I'm sure vorshlag is a great company. Sounds like this can be done with their parts with modification. I've done auto x and plan on taking it to bigger tracks in the near future.

Marc
Old 11-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck, my GF and i have recently gotten into this hobby as well Find Corner ponies on FB, lots of smart folks in there, as well as representatives from Vorshlag.

BTW, read this if you want some insight on making the mustang fast around corners. I've read it front to back probably 2-3 times now and still pick up stuff every time i go through, wonderful read. (Note the archive on the left)
Vorshlag Blog | BMW, Misubishi, Subaru Racing Events, Tech Talk, Parts Specials and more!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing sells special brackets for this specific thing but I don't think this has any tubing etc with it. They sell it but not sure under what. http://m.americanmuscle.com/frpp-gt5...ntV1&year=2014

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What you linked basically just exposes the back of the rotor, and shields the tie-rod end. Its not really a "duct," It just allows the rotor to radiate heat better.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have read where testing revealed that removal of the dust shield actually cools the rotors better than the duct kits.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JCALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCALD View Post
I have read where testing revealed that removal of the dust shield actually cools the rotors better than the duct kits.

I wonder

Marc
Old 11-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good luck, my GF and i have recently gotten into this hobby as well Find Corner ponies on FB, lots of smart folks in there, as well as representatives from Vorshlag.

BTW, read this if you want some insight on making the mustang fast around corners. I've read it front to back probably 2-3 times now and still pick up stuff every time i go through, wonderful read. (Note the archive on the left)
Vorshlag Blog | BMW, Misubishi, Subaru Racing Events, Tech Talk, Parts Specials and more!

Great girl! My GF enjoys to ride along on the twisty roads but isn't too interest in the hobby for her self haha Thanks I like reading info like this and was actually planning on reading about vorshlag's builds but haven't got to it. I read about a guys build yesterday and that made me add more parts to my build list haha. I'm sure this will too haha

Marc
Old 11-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you do not mind some custom work, you could do what I am doing. I bought a GT upper grill without the foglights, then mounted a single 6" duct off the passenger side hole, routed the duct over the radiator, and down the back to a 6" to dual 4" splitter, then 4" to the rotor hats using the Vorshlag 4" cooling hat. Fitment is a bit busy, but works well, and is the only effective option that is also SCCA legal in street prepared class.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCALD View Post

Hmmm, the wheel well should be a low pressure zone, so basically the rotor is just left to radiate to a spot where there is not an abundance of air ... Dont know that i agree with that, but i'd be very interested in reading that article.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Brake Ducting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
If you do not mind some custom work, you could do what I am doing. I bought a GT upper grill without the foglights, then mounted a single 6" duct off the passenger side hole, routed the duct over the radiator, and down the back to a 6" to dual 4" splitter, then 4" to the rotor hats using the Vorshlag 4" cooling hat. Fitment is a bit busy, but works well, and is the only effective option that is also SCCA legal in street prepared class.

Nice, thanks man. I'll probably mount two inlets behind my stock upper grill so I don't have to cut anything and I was reading vorshlag's builds and they said the middle of the grill is where the best airflow is and the 2011-2012 gt fog light inlets which are closer to the edge of of the car has less airflow going into them, FYI.

Sorry I understood you wrong. You got the right idea! However I can not fit a gt grill on my 2012 V6. Nice build by the way!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If you install the GT/Boss front facia, and use the lower fog lights (better placement for "real" use), then Ford Racing has a kit that installs the front brake cooling off of the GT grill fog light openings.

However, this is overkill for your V6. I used to rally my 2011 on weekends at a local airport track. I did install the larger GT rotors on my V6 (easy to do; buy the caliper bracket and rotor - buy from a Roush "take off" site for cheap). With the GT front brakes and me being a bit "hard" on the car, I never experienced brake fade; I was not going to invest the 300 bucks Ford Racing gets for that brake cooling kit.

So, unless you have money burning a hole in your wallet, or just want the "my Mustang is cool factor" of having this ducting, buy something that's more worth while in the "go faster" mod catagory. As far as brake upgrades for your V6, get the GT front rotors and caliper brackets. The front calipers (and rear) are the same for the GT's and V6; only the rotors in the front are larger, and the GT rotor change is an easy upgrade to do on the V6. When I did mine, I got two GT rotors and the GT caliper mounting brackets all for under 75 bucks, shipped from Roush. They remove them from GT's that are getting the "Roush" package.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My brakes never lasted more than a few laps at NCCAR before ducting. Granted, I trail brake more than most, and push the car way harder than most and as a result, even the "track pack" brembos could not dissipate heat efficiently.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I actually melted my stock pads my first track weekend. I wish i still had the pictures, but there were 2 deep impressions in the back of each pad from the pistons ... Granted, the GT is slightly heavier, and slightly more powerful, but in the grand scheme of things it really isnt "that much" of either. The mustang is still a heavy car, and even the GTs 13.2" Rotors are hilariously incapable, the v6s 12.5" more so. I do agree that it would be a good idea to at least upgrade to the GT brakes, but the ducts are a necessity if you're doing some actual road course driving.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm, the wheel well should be a low pressure zone, so basically the rotor is just left to radiate to a spot where there is not an abundance of air ... Dont know that i agree with that, but i'd be very interested in reading that article.

Doing some more reading, i'd like to correct a little misinformation here with a tidbit i found on another forum:

The shape of the front end with the air rushing by the wheel openings creates a low pressure area in the wheel well... including.... I would imagine a small boundary layer of low pressure just outside the face of the rim.

This draws air from the inside to the outside of the rim. Because our
rims are so wide... and the scoop for the dust shield is buried so far up in the wheel... many of us road course "types" have experienced small improvements from shield removals.

I don't think that alone is worth messing with when ducts are so cheap and easy to do.

PLUS.... THEY MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! If you are following a
car with them on that is running a fairly dusty pad(IE:most race only pads) you can actually see the dust laden air flow coming out of the wheel openings!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Some aftermarket race wheels (typically not for street use) actually help create a slightly stronger low pressure zone on the outer face of the wheel to help with this (can also help the rotors pump more mass through the cooling vanes). A lot of the Spec Miata guys with SCCA and NASA have this down to a science, and you might get some ideas by looking at a NASA American Iron car to see what they run for wheels, as most of the S197s in that class started as street cars.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, i dont think Spec Miatas are allowed Ducts, so i wouldnt doubt some of those guys have got some pretty clever set ups. Granted, Miatas can take most corners flat out lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

There are some pretty impressive interpretations going on in Spec Miata right now. The guy who won that class in the SCCA Runoffs this year actually finished eighth, but the all the cars ahead of him were disqualified for "out of spec" cylinder heads. They claw and fight over tenths of a horsepower, so it does cause some inventive rulebook reading...

Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Too much drama lol, this is supposed to be a stress reliever, not causer. I'll just stick to my track day weekends -_-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang