Which mod next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Which mod next?

So Im stock now with a 2014 v6, but have an appointment to install 3.73 gears, a pypes cat back exhaust and dyno tune the car all at the same time. Since I'm dyno tuning it, I want to try to have any additional mods ready to install at the same time because once I dyno tune I won't want to make any more changes.

The topic of CAI is widely debated and after a ton of research on this and other sites and taking to mechanics, I still am not sure if it will provide benefits other than noise. The shop installing my parts and doing the dyno is pushing me to get the CAI installed at the same time as the gears and exhaust because they say they can tune the car to "make use of the additional air from the CAI" when they are doing the dyno tuning to provide increased hp, but I don't know if science actually supports this or if they are blowing hot (or cold) air. A lot of people claim it is pointless.

The other options are using the extra $300 -$500 to changing something else in the exhaust, like shorty headers (I haven't researched this as much). Maybe there is something else I'm leaving out. If I've changed only the exhaust to a catback, I'm not sure if I can just add shorty headers and call it a day or if I'd need to make other modifications to some of the other pipes.

Any ideas as to which direction you might go for better sound and power given the budget? Sorry guys I am a noobie as you can tell by my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Thegreenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'd do a cat delete with an H-pipe. Good gains, but you'll run the risk of not liking the way your exhaust sounds.

As far as the CAI, the stock unit is good, i'd just leave it unless you went with a MAF diameter larger than stock (the only way to "truely" be pulling more air in) and i believe the steeda unit is the only one which does. That being said, it will still neck down to the stock sized TB, so its up in the air as well if that will help.

My philosiphy has always been its pointless to try to get more in, until you can get all of what you have out, so I always start with exhaust. On that same note though, doesnt make a whole lot of sense to add headers and then try to feed them through the stock cats you know ... Food for thought.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Don't shorties, on an otherwise stock exhaust setup, give gains on the low end with no real increase on the upper end? So there is still some benefit?
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have shorties on my 5.0. If the 3.7 responds anywhere near as well as my car did, i'd say shorties are indeed worth it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Shorties is almost a must. It increases the throttle response and low end torque by so much.

I'd definitely get the CAI just for the sound.

With Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty header, and Corsa sport axle back, my 3.7 sounds amazing!
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I'd definitely get some sort of mod before you dyno tune it. For a basically stock car, a dyno tune is an expensive route to take for little gain.

I'm in the Longtube header camp, but it's just my preference. Shorties are going to be better than stock. They give down low power, whereas the Longtubes give their benefit in the mid and upper powerband.

A CAI probably isn't worth it. I have one but I just like the sound and the look really.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I'd definitely get some sort of mod before you dyno tune it. For a basically stock car, a dyno tune is an expensive route to take for little gain.

I'm in the Longtube header camp, but it's just my preference. Shorties are going to be better than stock. They give down low power, whereas the Longtubes give their benefit in the mid and upper powerband.

A CAI probably isn't worth it. I have one but I just like the sound and the look really.

So if it's a question of a shorty vs CAI when my only other mods are gears and catback exhaust, you guys think do the shorties?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Which mod next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'd do a cat delete with an H-pipe. Good gains, but you'll run the risk of not liking the way your exhaust sounds.

As far as the CAI, the stock unit is good, i'd just leave it unless you went with a MAF diameter larger than stock (the only way to "truely" be pulling more air in) and i believe the steeda unit is the only one which does. That being said, it will still neck down to the stock sized TB, so its up in the air as well if that will help.

My philosiphy has always been its pointless to try to get more in, until you can get all of what you have out, so I always start with exhaust. On that same note though, doesnt make a whole lot of sense to add headers and then try to feed them through the stock cats you know ... Food for thought.

Im hearing some people say shorties alone on a car in which I've only changed the exhaust to an after-market cat back exhaust will do some good. Do you think with the stock TB the shorties won't make a difference? Sorry I'm new to all this.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreenmachine View Post
So if it's a question of a shorty vs CAI when my only other mods are gears and catback exhaust, you guys think do the shorties?

If you're options are headers or a CAI? Headers, hands down. Whether you decide shorties or long tubes. Just remember if you go the Longtube route, it's more expensive and will require a new midpipe. With the shorties, a new mid pipe is suggested but not necessary.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The stock intake will handle quite a bit of other mods. I think I've heard some people say up to 400ish hp. It really is well designed and will accommodate new headers just fine.

If you want any kind of performance from a CAI you would probably need the steeda and the 73mm throttle body. Then a tune to get the max advantage out of it. But then you are still limited to the restrictions of the mid-pipe and cats.

Shorties, 3.73s and a tune will make it pull like a beast off the line.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang