car wanting to "turn off" idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
car wanting to "turn off" idle

I recently installed shorty headers and air filter came off but now it's on why does the car feel like it wants to go off on idle? could something be loose?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Vaccum leak somewhere perhaps. Is your maf in nice and right?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Check/clean maf sensor. Make sure throttle body isnt gummed up. If you just installed stuff, maybe unplug your battery for 30 min to an hour so your car can relearn stuff. Check for vacuum leaks. If you think you got ahold of some bad gas, try fuel cleaner.

Does it get worse when the AC is on at idle? What are the RPMs like? How many miles on the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Check/clean maf sensor. Make sure throttle body isnt gummed up. If you just installed stuff, maybe unplug your battery for 30 min to an hour so your car can relearn stuff. Check for vacuum leaks. If you think you got ahold of some bad gas, try fuel cleaner.

Does it get worse when the AC is on at idle? What are the RPMs like? How many miles on the car?

I installed two weeks ago... literally when at stop sign it's like it wants to go off but it doesn't... I got 25k miles

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

If thats happening then check if your RPMs dip down to 500 or below. Definitely make sure your sensors are ok. Try the things listed above. Start with the cheap fixes and work your way up. I cant remember if you can record data logs with your tuner. If so, that may help capture what is going on.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

I see you have listed it as Tuned headers. So did you get an updated tune for the new headers? I have heard of exhaust leaks after header installs as well. Wouldnt hurt to make sure all the bolts are tight.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I see you have listed it as Tuned headers. So did you get an updated tune for the new headers? I have heard of exhaust leaks after header installs as well. Wouldnt hurt to make sure all the bolts are tight.

yeah I got updated tune and I checked most bolts especially ones from headers to pipe and it seems fine

Old 11-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

That is good then. Yea go with cleaning and checking the maf sensor. Make sure the throttle body is clean. It may be possible the tune is a little off for your car. If the suggested fixes dont do anything, may have to ride around with your tuner and collect a data log. If you got the tuner from American Muscle, I have heard they are good with walking you through collecting a log and examining it.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so the tune can be off? I ain't risking the car stalling on me because of this right? it won't turn off???

Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Try the easy/cheap fixes first before we look at thinking the tune is off. You can get a can of carb cleaner for about $5-$6 and clean the maf sensor and throttle body. Then maybe another $5 for a bottle of fuel cleaner.

When you are idle, does the roughness get better if you put it into neutral at stops? This can be a temp fix to get you over till you are able to try the cheap fixes.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have manual so rs always on neutral

Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

So even on neutral it wants to die? If it was me i would already be under the hood examining things!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

If you have your stock tune still saved, you could try reapplying that if the cheap fixes dont work. To see if anything changes. If nothing changes, you could always reapply the new tune. Just trying to isolate where the problem could be.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

car won't shut off on me though?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

It shouldnt. If it shudders then give it a little gas.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey! Sorry to hear about the trouble but it's sounding like something could be potentially loose here. If it's still acting up shoot Bama a call directly at 888.226.9764 and they're happy to help troubleshoot this with you!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey! Sorry to hear about the trouble but it's sounding like something could be potentially loose here. If it's still acting up shoot Bama a call directly at 888.226.9764 and they're happy to help troubleshoot this with you!

Alex
loose? I don't think so, I've checked bolts and nuts, and they seem to be on tight. Could it possibly be the updated tune I received because of the addition of the bbk shorties?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
loose? I don't think so, I've checked bolts and nuts, and they seem to be on tight. Could it possibly be the updated tune I received because of the addition of the bbk shorties?
Spray carb cleaner around anything and everything to determine for leaks.
Just don't spray it straight into your filter.
I did this when I was trying to determine why my car would stall out.

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

car wanting to "turn off" idle

Have you cleaned the maf sensor and throttle body yet? It literally takes 5 minutes if you got some carb cleaner and a small towel. You said the air filter came off? Maybe the intake got some dirt in it that might be messing with the maf sensor, etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I am uploading a revised bama tune as we speak hopefully that'll do the trick

Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

man wth I loaded tune turned oncar was idling at 1000 the tool wrench loght was on n when I pressed gas to rev it shut off eth went and uploaded my previous one

Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Well obviously the tune isnt right then.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
man wth I loaded tune turned oncar was idling at 1000 the tool wrench loght was on n when I pressed gas to rev it shut off eth went and uploaded my previous one

Dude, come on how can we help when people probably dont even know what you're saying...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

what r u talking about don't know what I'm talking about? read the title thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
what r u talking about don't know what I'm talking about? read the title thread

He's implying that your post presents yourself as having poor command of the English language.
Proofread your post. It'll make it easier for everyone else to understand.

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #26
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I can hardly understand his post either.

OP, have you taken off your throttle body or MAF to check/clean them yet? The revised tune sounds like the cause of your most recent issue, but the original idle problem could still be because one of these two is gummed up.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #27
Kevin.Cook

I worked in customer service so this is like second language to me
Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I was driving when typing so it may not have been the clearest I guess

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #29
Kevin.Cook

Its ok. I understood. Try contacting bama. They may have to rewrite a new custom tune for you.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I just got into the office that's the first thing I'm going to do

Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #31
Kevin.Cook

I know some people have positive experiences with tunes, but for these reasons is why i do not mess with it. Plus i have all my warranties still.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
You were What ???????????

Did you say "Driving while typing???

If I were you I would not worry about how my car is acting, You will either be in the hospital, Or even jail if you kill someone else or if your lucky you will just run off the road and wreck your car without killing your self or hurting someone else.

I had to go back and read it again. Yep, You said it
[QUOTEI was driving when typing so it may not have been the clearest I guess][/QUOTE]

Driving white texting or typing is probably the very stupidest idiot thing anyone can ever do. Driving when drinking ain't even as bad as that. At least a drunk can see what they run into.

Keep typing while driving and I hope your car shuts off and never starts again with you behind the steering wheel.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

at a red light... not literally driving... one cannot physically type drive a stick and focus on the road ... red lights in la get heavily backed up

Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
one cannot physically type drive a stick and focus on the road
Not with that attitude.

Ok seriously, no, you cant. manual transmission is an effective anti texting/driving device.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I was driving when typing so it may not have been the clearest I guess

this makes me glad your car is shutting off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang