Decisions. Turbo the 2012 V6 or get a 5.0L? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It is because:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The 3.7 V6 already has a Forged Crankshaft and Forged rods. The Aluminum full skirt Aluminum Pistons are built to take a lot of abuse and are super strong.
There are a few 3.7's running around central Florida with a single Turbo charger and a tune with no problems at all. One of them is turning 10.7's and gets 24/25 MPG when just driving around town.
The 3.7 Mustang uses the same transmissions and rear differentials as the GT-V8 so plenty strong enough to take the 400 plus rear wheel or more horsepower a turbo or super charger can give you.

But, You only will want to spend this money on a car you would want to keep. If your hearts desire is a V8 it would be kind of dumb to spend a lot of money on the V6.

Some of us are satisfied with the V6 but as we all know there are some of us just longing to have a V8. Both are great engines and neither is really better then the other. They both do a great job of putting power to the ground in our 2011 up Mustangs.

If you love the V8 you can still super charge or turbo charge it for at least 500 or more horsepower.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The 3.7 V6 already has a Forged Crankshaft and Forged rods. The Aluminum full skirt Aluminum Pistons are built to take a lot of abuse and are super strong.

There are a few 3.7's running around central Florida with a single Turbo charger and a tune with no problems at all. One of them is turning 10.7's and gets 24/25 MPG when just driving around town.

The 3.7 Mustang uses the same transmissions and rear differentials as the GT-V8 so plenty strong enough to take the 400 plus rear wheel or more horsepower a turbo or super charger can give you.

But, You only will want to spend this money on a car you would want to keep. If your hearts desire is a V8 it would be kind of dumb to spend a lot of money on the V6.

Some of us are satisfied with the V6 but as we all know there are some of us just longing to have a V8. Both are great engines and neither is really better then the other. They both do a great job of putting power to the ground in our 2011 up Mustangs.

If you love the V8 you can still super charge or turbo charge it for at least 500 or more horsepower.

Ronnie

He doesnt care what the car makes for engine noise the only reason he wants a v8 is because they have more potential for power
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #38
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That is why he should wait

He should not spend anything on his 2012 V6 because he will never get the money he spends on any mods back. That money can be saved for buying the GT later.

Besides, a dealer would d rather take in a total stock car on a trade then a Modified car any day.

Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Tell him to get what he wants. If its a 5oh get the 5oh. Although an 05-09 with$ 6500 = boost!
Raeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeko View Post
Tell him to get what he wants. If its a 5oh get the 5oh. Although an 05-09 with$ 6500 = boost!
But a bolt on 5.0 will annihilate a boosted 4.6.

Personally it sounds like this guy is just chasing numbers, which is silly. Enjoy the damn car.

Everyone's given solid advice here. I'm in the camp of buy something cheap now and get what you really want later.

I don't even want to think about how much money I've put into my V6. I would like a V8, but something about taking this 6 to its limits appeals to me. But that's me.

Just be patient and save, he'll thank himself later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats what i told him. He could prep the car for a turbo and possibly get nitrous with some appearance mods
Old 11-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
But a bolt on 5.0 will annihilate a boosted 4.6.

Personally it sounds like this guy is just chasing numbers, which is silly. Enjoy the damn car.

Everyone's given solid advice here. I'm in the camp of buy something cheap now and get what you really want later.

I don't even want to think about how much money I've put into my V6. I would like a V8, but something about taking this 6 to its limits appeals to me. But that's me.

Just be patient and save, he'll thank himself later.

I beat most bolt on 5.0's in my area with the exception of a very few bolt on 5.os. Yes I'm a boosted 3v.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have yet to get beat by a boosted 3v. There is a reason shaun from lethal says my 5.0 is the top dawg NA one running around. ( no bottle )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

We are talking reasonable boosted 3v's here. Them 480 RWHP and below and me on motor alone no bottle.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

There is a few nasty 3v's out here though. But I do not go to meets and crap anymore.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
There is a few nasty 3v's out here though. But I do not go to meets and crap anymore.

I noticed lol never see you out here at the meets lol. Yea I guess since I have a centrifugal blower I can push it harder on the stock motor than if I had a pd blower. I honestly haven't ran many boosted 3v. I don't see them that often. Now it's easy to find a 5.0 out here lol.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I noticed lol never see you out here at the meets lol. Yea I guess since I have a centrifugal blower I can push it harder on the stock motor than if I had a pd blower. I honestly haven't ran many boosted 3v. I don't see them that often. Now it's easy to find a 5.0 out here lol.
Travel alot for work, I'm the our field manager for south texas, Pennsylvania and ohio.

But boosted 3v's are hard to come by. On a regular basis that is

Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Car sits in the Garage more than anything. It has not moved in almost 3 weeks now.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

If he really wants a v8 I'd say just get some nitrous.. for now and save for the v8..

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 11-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Still i need an answer on this. Is it better to sell the v6 for 17k and get a 05 gt for 11k and have $7.5k to mess around with or keep the v6 and use $1.5k on it?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #51
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ya really wanna know ::::::::::::::::::::

Save up some more $$$$$$$$
Get a 2011 or later GT 5.0
It would be your smartest move.
Ronnie
Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I'd say keep the v6 and with the 1.5k throw on some nitrous and save up for a v8

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 11-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Its like im asking what exhaust should i get for a v6 and you guys are all saying dont get a v8. Im asking what is the better option between these two Vehicles and all your saying is get a coyote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
They are both good options. Just tell him to chose one already. Its not rocket science, everyone has given some good info and in the end its his choice. How can we be on the 6th page of this thread and be back at square one again?:dead horse:

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Tell him to make his own decision. Or is he going to let everyone make decisions for him from now on?

He is the only one who knows what will make him happy.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Tell him to make his own decision. Or is he going to let everyone make decisions for him from now on?

He is the only one who knows what will make him happy.

Tell him to man up and deal with it and quit sending his "buddies" out for answers that he doesn't want to hear. I've been smelling a troll for some time now and we keep feeding it like this is a serious question.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Tell him to man up and deal with it and quit sending his "buddies" out for answers that he doesn't want to hear. I've been smelling a troll for some time now and we keep feeding it like this is a serious question.

Stfu, im tired of people saying my posts are trolls like i honestly dont know whats better and i dont own either of those cars and nobody in my area has one thats even close to where he is trying to take it
Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Stfu, im tired of people saying my posts are trolls like i honestly dont know whats better and i dont own either of those cars and nobody in my area has one thats even close to where he is trying to take it
I don't keep a record of all of your threads you start, but they all seem to end with the same result - little to no progress as far as getting an answer goes. Getting opinions from others doesn't hurt but suggesting to not be lazy and do your own research is valid advice for you IMO.

Hell, you've got plenty of knowledgable guys answering in your thread. At least 2 of them are probably 3x your age (assuming you're 20+/-). Telling them to "stfu" isn't the best attitude when they're just trying to help.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I don't keep a record of all of your threads you start, but they all seem to end with the same result - little to no progress as far as getting an answer goes. Getting opinions from others doesn't hurt but suggesting to not be lazy and do your own research is valid advice for you IMO.

Hell, you've got plenty of knowledgable guys answering in your thread. At least 2 of them are probably 3x your age (assuming you're 20+/-). Telling them to "stfu" isn't the best attitude when they're just trying to help.

Just my $0.02.

Yeah but that one guy's only post in the thread is that. See what im saying?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Still i need an answer on this. Is it better to sell the v6 for 17k and get a 05 gt for 11k and have $7.5k to mess around with or keep the v6 and use $1.5k on it?
You have asked this same question three times and I have answered you twice.. Many people here have been giving you good answers... Now why don't you and "your friend" Re read this thread and decide what it is that "your friend" wants to do..

Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
You have asked this same question three times and I have answered you twice.. Many people here have been giving you good answers... Now why don't you and "your friend" Re read this thread and decide what it is that "your friend" wants to do..

Yeah, in a month he is getting a 05-09 gt now
Old 11-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, in a month he is getting a 05-09 gt now
:thumbsup:
Old 11-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everybody who contributed to this post and helped make the decision a little bit easier
Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I think your friend is always gonna desire that 5.0 once you want one, you WANT one. No matter what car you got, it's hard to beat a motor that's already legendary.
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefro View Post
I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I think your friend is always gonna desire that 5.0 once you want one, you WANT one. No matter what car you got, it's hard to beat a motor that's already legendary.

Na he doesnt exactly care what mustang it is as long as it has the ability to get above 550rwhp
Old 11-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Then he shouldnt get a 3v ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Then he shouldnt get a 3v ...
+1. Gonna be a heap of work to get above 550 with a 3v.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
+1. Gonna be a heap of work to get above 550 with a 3v.

Or tell the dyno guy to tweak his dyno results so that they look in 550hp range :p this will give him some mental peace haha

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

It seems like your friend has plenty of homework to do.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
There's 500 the easy way, and 500 the pain in the *** way. Listen to the wise, and go with the easy way

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang