My in-progress RTR Decklid is getting the best reactions on the road - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My in-progress RTR Decklid is getting the best reactions on the road

I'm currently in the middle of installing my RTR Decklid Panel for my 2014 Mustang. I didn't have the proper tools to cut the hump out of the decklid so I went to my local Ford dealership and asked them if they could butcher my car for me real quick. They accepted the challenge and promptly put my baby under the knife.

I've had things come up unexpectedly throughout the day so I haven't been able to complete the final step of sticking on the RTR Decklid Panel. I didn't get to take a pic until after the sun settled (damn thing disappears so early) so hopefully you guys can see it... But the first pic is what I've been riding around with all day lol.

I've had 3 Camaros at red lights in the lane next to mine stop behind me instead of pulling up to the line.... to take pics lol. I'm waiting for my car to show up on some Camaro forum bashing Mustang owners. Also had pretty much every car I see in my rear view with their phones up snapping a pic whenever stopped.

The 2nd picture is my solution overnight to protect my car lol. Want it to be a little warmer than below freezing when I apply the decklid to make sure it sticks. I'll probably leave the vinyl tape covering all the holes when I put the panel on to provide some form of waterproofing.

Used the supplied blackout strips that came with the RTR panel. Car is already black so I didn't need them. ENGINEERING.

That's my funny story for the day. Reactions were priceless. Especially the Camaro owners. Shared a good laugh with one of them lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decklid NO HUMP (2).JPG
Views:	498
Size:	912.8 KB
ID:	170039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decklid NO HUMP (1).JPG
Views:	480
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	170040  

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Got a good laugh out of this haha! I would be snapping pics too! I wonder if that rear end is up on FB, Instagram, camaro forums etc already lol
Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Seeing how you cut that up, is there something in the rtr deck lid panel that will seal that to keep moisture out? If not I wonder if in 30+ years someone else who ends up with car your will be on a mustang forum complaining how the PO cut the deck lid and its all rusted out.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416759325.364090.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	170145

Why ??? Why ????

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
He is installing a different deck lid. Part of the install process is removing the hump from the fake gas cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416770786.963933.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	831.7 KB
ID:	170153Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416770806.230461.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	763.2 KB
ID:	170154

Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looks good.
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
He is installing a different deck lid. Part of the install process is removing the hump from the fake gas cap.

I've read that in these forums somewhere about removing the hump but what keeps the water out? I guess I could go to their website and find out for myself instead of asking questions.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ideally, you'd fit the 3M tape perfectly with each edge. I'm sure some water may still get it. That's why I taped everything off with the supplied black out strips (2nd pic in original post) they provided for non black cars. I figured if those are meant to be applied to your car and exposed, they should do a good enough job at keeping water out of the holes.

I applied a bunch of tape to the back of my panel so I'm pretty confident it'll be safe and sound.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That looks ready nice.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
thx for posting pics...but as ya know it'll probably make the "Muscles Cars of Wall-Mart calendar"
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post

But why not just replace the entire lid with a flat one ? They sell them...

Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

They don't fit the contour of the 13/14 tail lights. And the whole trunk lids are expensive, require paint, and if you have a spoiler will require drilling anyways.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just curious, did the Ford dealership make you sign a release of liability for cutting the whole in your car? What did they charge you? I give them props for even attempting lol.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Just curious, did the Ford dealership make you sign a release of liability for cutting the whole in your car? What did they charge you? I give them props for even attempting lol.
I wanted mine painted (plus it came from RTR looking horrible) I paid $120 for the paint job and removal of hump. You do have to cut it out or have massive welding and body work done to recreate without whole. I used black duct tape over whole in two layers. used some small pieces of thin padding to keep rattle down and then used 2 layers of 3/4" wide 3M tape. You really need to double layer the tape as it does have a bit of a gap and the one strip they give you of 3M doesnt really adhere well. I did full length strip top and full length with small gap at bottom to allow water drainage if gets in there. Slight breathing room between top/bottom in sides for air to escape. couple small sections on wither side of the whole. Hope that helps. Lots of work with that MMD matte surrounds and Matte tint but like how turned out and get tons of compliments everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141107_083549.jpg
Views:	2001
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	170351  
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I wanted mine painted (plus it came from RTR looking horrible) I paid $120 for the paint job and removal of hump. You do have to cut it out or have massive welding and body work done to recreate without whole. I used black duct tape over whole in two layers. used some small pieces of thin padding to keep rattle down and then used 2 layers of 3/4" wide 3M tape. You really need to double layer the tape as it does have a bit of a gap and the one strip they give you of 3M doesnt really adhere well. I did full length strip top and full length with small gap at bottom to allow water drainage if gets in there. Slight breathing room between top/bottom in sides for air to escape. couple small sections on wither side of the whole. Hope that helps. Lots of work with that MMD matte surrounds and Matte tint but like how turned out and get tons of compliments everywhere.

Looks great !! Not sure I agree with the wink at the 2015...but...

Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Looks great !! Not sure I agree with the wink at the 2015...but...

the Pony you mean? Got that from Need for Speed Stang. Girlfriend thinks crazt to take the GT sign off back but really like the car in the movie lol
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the Pony you mean? Got that from Need for Speed Stang. Girlfriend thinks crazt to take the GT sign off back but really like the car in the movie lol

And the movie was a hint to the 2015...

Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
the Pony you mean? Got that from Need for Speed Stang.
Never saw the movie but the pony saved the look IMO. Otherwise too bland.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
sweet...............
Old 11-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
They didn't make me sign anything. I rolled up to the dealership with my stock deck lid panel already off and asked them if they could quickly cut the hump out. Told them I didn't need any prep work, any sanding down afterwards etc. Just a quick removal of the hump, as long as they don't pierce through the trunk.

Quick lane people called their boys in the back and asked them who wanted to take on the task. Young gentleman said he'd do it, so he did it. They charged me for 30 minutes of labor, which I didn't mind.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Just got the RTR decklid for my '13. Noticed it already has some very fine micro scratches just from handling it. Can anyone speak to how badly this decklid gets scratched over time? Thinking of either clearcoating it first or just returning it. Thanks.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Just got the RTR decklid for my '13. Noticed it already has some very fine micro scratches just from handling it. Can anyone speak to how badly this decklid gets scratched over time? Thinking of either clearcoating it first or just returning it. Thanks.

Pretty much as soon as you touch it, it gets fine micro scratches.

Instagram: @v6beast
Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I put this one on mine for now.....no scratches on this material!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160928_152754.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	210489  
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I believe they are plastic now where mine is Metal. If they are plastic similar to the original OEM one. if that is case I bet it scratches easy and often. That is one of the reasons I got the RTR. I would paint it or clear coat it but if already scratched, depending on how bad, you might return then do it.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE to scratch question - Just visited a local auto body painter. He verified the new plastic decklid is black clearcoated. Said no need to apply additional clear as paint correction will remove any fine scratches. Tried some polish and he was right. Fine scratches polish out with little effort. Thanks everyone for the feedback... now where did I put my hole saw?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
UPDATE to scratch question - Just visited a local auto body painter. He verified the new plastic decklid is black clearcoated. Said no need to apply additional clear as paint correction will remove any fine scratches. Tried some polish and he was right. Fine scratches polish out with little effort. Thanks everyone for the feedback... now where did I put my hole saw?
I just did the install again on my new-to-me 2014 5.0. I went for tin snips and a grinder to smooth the whole thing. Didn't have a hole saw
Old 07-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
Did you have to bend the pony on the decklid panel so it would fit flush? If so, how did you do it or how did you attach the pony. I'll be doing this project shortly and could use some advice. Thanks in advance for you help.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Did you have to bend the pony on the decklid panel so it would fit flush? If so, how did you do it or how did you attach the pony. I'll be doing this project shortly and could use some advice. Thanks in advance for you help.
Fastford13 has some pics and directions on how to do it. Send him a PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big show 98 View Post
Fastford13 has some pics and directions on how to do it. Send him a PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I did talk to him on another thread, but his install of the pony was a different situation than mine.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang