MPT vs. dyno tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
MPT vs. dyno tune

Hey guys...

I am getting a ton of people blasting me that MPT on the 3.7 is the best thing since warm bread and ***** out there. Better than any dyno tune...they run the fastest times...etc....

What do you make of this ? I was always under the belief that a dyno tune (done by a good tuner...) will always be superior to any Mailorder tune.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I don't know anything about tunes- this is just applying logic.

A dyno tuner looks at set aspects and develops a tune- but mainly looks at those aspects, and works on tons of different vehicles.

I am sure MPT and other companies work on different vehicles, but if one consistently works on the same or similar vehicles, and get a feed back from hundreds of people, and works to keep developing it, I could see a mail tune being better.

They say a day with a teacher is better than a year with a book- but to have dedication to one thing, and a lot of follow through and data on it...it's going to be good.

Just makes me wonder why Bama seems to have so many issues.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Honestly it all depends on what mods you have. If it's just basic bolt ons (tune cai etc), then your best bet would be to stay with a mail order tune. Now if you've every other performance mod one could do to a 3.7 (long tubes, catlsss mid pipe, full exhaust... except FI and nitrous), I'd suggest you go to reputed 'mustang' tuner who has extensive tuning our Ti-vct mustangs.

It's kinda tricky to get a perfect tune via mail. If you want all out performance (low mid and top end), dyno tune is your friend.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
MPT definitely has an awesome tune. I just ran a 12.4 with an MPT tune. But as mentioned above, I think once you're completely done with all your modding, I would go to a dyno tuner and get him to look over and tweak for any extra power they can get. The mail order tune is going off what the majority of these cars like, a dyno tune will tweak it for your specific car.
Millz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
MPT definitely has an awesome tune. I just ran a 12.4 with an MPT tune. But as mentioned above, I think once you're completely done with all your modding, I would go to a dyno tuner and get him to look over and tweak for any extra power they can get. The mail order tune is going off what the majority of these cars like, a dyno tune will tweak it for your specific car.
Very good!!!
What do u have for mods?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
dyno tune is the better option but unless your completely done modding you car its a waste of money . Emailed tunes can be updated and you can find companys that give your free tunes for life.
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Would anyone care to show me a time slip of a fast dyno tuned 3.7 NA car?

From what I'm seeing in the 1/4, Millz 12.4 (manual) and SmokinStanleys 12.27 (auto) are both MPT tuned. Most of the people running between 12.5-13.0 1/4's are all MPT tuned also.

All I ask for is proof not conjecture.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
smokinstanley was dyno tuned before he switched to mpt and ran a 12.3 bro??? the only reason he switched to mpt is for transmission tunning because the dyno tune did not allow him to leave his car in drive.. so assuming he left it in drive with his mpt tune is probably why he ran faster then his dyno tune manually shifting 1,2,3

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
oh yeah and a dyno tune is gonna be better hands down you just need a good tuner..

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They're the exact same. I have experience Dyno tuning, street tuning, and email tuning, and they are all the exact same.

In each scenario all i do is simply datalog the vehicle, and make changes according to the information i see. Literally the only advantage a Dyno offers, is a controlled environment and a HP / TQ print out after each run.
This is not always a good thing though, because when does your vehicle ever operate in a controlled environment? There are perks to dyno tuning, there are perks to street tuning, but one is not automatically "better" than the other.

However, if you have an experienced tuner, chances are they have done several tunes on a dyno and know what parameters to look for, and what to change, to end up with the end power curve they want.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
smokinstanley was dyno tuned before he switched to mpt and ran a 12.3 bro??? the only reason he switched to mpt is for transmission tunning because the dyno tune did not allow him to leave his car in drive.. so assuming he left it in drive with his mpt tune is probably why he ran faster then his dyno tune manually shifting 1,2,3
When Stan initially switched to MPT without any data logging at all he ran a 12.3 (the same as his fully dyno tuned car), after data logging and getting a revised MPT tune he ran a 12.27.

The whole transmission thing to me is a poor excuse, if you own an auto and a dyno tuner can't tune the trans, that's doing half the tuning job on a newer auto car.

So basically MPT's mail order tune is a better (they know how to tune the trans) and faster tune for an auto car then a dyno tune on the same car.

There's exceptions of course, a dyno tune by a reputable mustang 3.7 V6 tuner like MPT, Lund and a few others are going to be good, but taking it down to well known mustang V8 dyno tuner is probably a very bad idea unless he has a proven track record on the 3.7 V6 especially on a auto car.

Example, Hasan's turbo car. Everyone was telling him to take it to Henson a highly reputable dyno tuner in the state of Alabama. He's tuned some new cars NA and FI for very big horsepower, Mustangs included. I disagreed with taking it there since he never tuned a Mustang 3.7 V6 auto (let alone a turbo one). I wanted him to take it to JMS in Mississippi who tuned CFM's car. Well you know the rest of the story, even after Henson having the car for a week to dyno tune, Henson still couldn't get it right. All Hasan got back out of that deal was half the dyno fee and a broken car.

Hasan's new rebuilt forged engine should be nice though.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
When Stan initially switched to MPT without any data logging at all he ran a 12.3 (the same as his fully dyno tuned car), after data logging and getting a revised MPT tune he ran a 12.27.

The whole transmission thing to me is a poor excuse, if you own an auto and a dyno tuner can't tune the trans, that's doing half the tuning job on a newer auto car.

So basically MPT's mail order tune is a better (they know how to tune the trans) and faster tune for an auto car then a dyno tune on the same car.

There's exceptions of course, a dyno tune by a reputable mustang 3.7 V6 tuner like MPT, Lund and a few others are going to be good, but taking it down to well known mustang V8 dyno tuner is probably a very bad idea unless he has a proven track record on the 3.7 V6 especially on a auto car.

Example, Hasan's turbo car. Everyone was telling him to take it to Hennesey a highly reputable dyno tuner in the state of Alabama. He's tuned some new cars NA and FI for very big horsepower, Mustangs included. I disagreed with taking it there since he never tuned a Mustang 3.7 V6 auto (let alone a turbo one). I wanted him to take it to JMS in Mississippi who tuned CFM's car. Well you know the rest of the story, even after Hennessey having the car for a week to dyno tune, Hennessey still couldn't get it right. All Hasan got back out of that deal was half the dyno fee and a broken car.

Hasan's new rebuilt forged engine should be nice though.
Hasan took it to Henson performance, not Hennesey. Hennesey is in Texas and would have cost a fortune to tune there lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

^^ I was wondering about this lol. You pay a LOT to have a Hennessey badge on your car.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's my point exactly...but I'm being contradicted.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Would anyone care to show me a time slip of a fast dyno tuned 3.7 NA car?

From what I'm seeing in the 1/4, Millz 12.4 (manual) and SmokinStanleys 12.27 (auto) are both MPT tuned. Most of the people running between 12.5-13.0 1/4's are all MPT tuned also.

All I ask for is proof not conjecture.

I can show you dyno numbers but never took it to the track to do 1/4 mile...I don't think I am allowed with mine.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They're the exact same. I have experience Dyno tuning, street tuning, and email tuning, and they are all the exact same.

In each scenario all i do is simply datalog the vehicle, and make changes according to the information i see. Literally the only advantage a Dyno offers, is a controlled environment and a HP / TQ print out after each run.
This is not always a good thing though, because when does your vehicle ever operate in a controlled environment? There are perks to dyno tuning, there are perks to street tuning, but one is not automatically "better" than the other.

However, if you have an experienced tuner, chances are they have done several tunes on a dyno and know what parameters to look for, and what to change, to end up with the end power curve they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
That's my point exactly...but I'm being contradicted.

Not sure if you saw my original post, but i assure you you will be wasting your money. MPT's tunes are like $75-150 depending on what you want, and they will run on par with $400-500 dyno tunes and you want to buy both?? Not worth it in my book.

The dyno tuner will be looking at the exact same datalogs that MPT will be looking at, so if MPT doesnt feel fit to add any more based on their experience, i dont see why a dyno tuner would.

You may squeeze out 5 ... hell maybe even 10 whp, but do the math on that, $80 dollars per hp. To put that into perspective a, lets say $200 lethal performance H-pipe gives 15 whp ( i think thats about average) thats $13 per hp ...
Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Not sure if you saw my original post, but i assure you you will be wasting your money. MPT's tunes are like $75-150 depending on what you want, and they will run on par with $400-500 dyno tunes and you want to buy both?? Not worth it in my book.

The dyno tuner will be looking at the exact same datalogs that MPT will be looking at, so if MPT doesnt feel fit to add any more based on their experience, i dont see why a dyno tuner would.

You may squeeze out 5 ... hell maybe even 10 whp, but do the math on that, $80 dollars per hp. To put that into perspective a, lets say $200 lethal performance H-pipe gives 15 whp ( i think thats about average) thats $13 per hp ...
A dyno tune will net someone no gains or little gains over a reputable email tune.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Hasan took it to Henson performance, not Hennesey. Hennesey is in Texas and would have cost a fortune to tune there lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks for catching that, I knew it was Henson but had Hennessy stuck on the brain. I definitely don't want to give a big time reputable performance tuner like Hennessey a bad rap undeservingly. I changed the name in my post to reflect the correct shop, Henson.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
A dyno tune will net someone no gains or little gains over a reputable email tune.
There is a lot to be said for tuning the transmission in the 3.7 auto cars which I know for a fact only a few tuners can do properly. Even if a dyno tuner could tune the engine correctly I don't think I would trust anyone outside those few tuners to tune the transmission. That means your looking at a mail order tune anyways for the auto unless you get one of those companies to dyno tune it for you. A remote dyno tune by one of the major tuners would probably be a real good option if you want a dyno tune.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I have a dyno tune by Danny Swanson of Swanson Performance in Southern CA and the shifting in the tranny is awesome...moreover I'm putting out close to 300 on both hp and torque.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
I have a dyno tune by Danny Swanson of Swanson Performance in Southern CA and the shifting in the tranny is awesome...moreover I'm putting out close to 300 on both hp and torque.

What were your base dyno numbers before tuning it?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

About 15-20 less in both with a BAMA 91 race tune on.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Love to see some graphs.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Will be doing them next week once I put in new heads and a ported intake manifold.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

What heads are you going to be slapping on there?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Back to stock heads. Long story...

Read thread : Moded 3.7 2014 (California special custom) Moded 3.7 2014 (California special custom)

Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So I read that whole thread.

Well if you guys data logged it and it looked good, no valve float, cams installed correctly, timing good, fuel good......just run it and see what she runs. Don't get all caught up on dyno numbers as that is a good tuning tool. People don't race dynos so don't worry.

Plus I do not see the 3.7 laying down big number or much higher than very low 300's whp NA.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
So I read that whole thread.

Well if you guys data logged it and it looked good, no valve float, cams installed correctly, timing good, fuel good......just run it and see what she runs. Don't get all caught up on dyno numbers as that is a good tuning tool. People don't race dynos so don't worry.

Plus I do not see the 3.7 laying down big number or much higher than very low 300's whp NA.

Favorite tag line from my old forum "What does your dyno sheet trap?"
Old 11-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Favorite tag line from my old forum "What does your dyno sheet trap?"
LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang