Is there a reasonable dealer to change gears around Atlanta? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Is there a reasonable dealer to change gears around Atlanta?

I really want to change from 2.73 to 3.31 and I really don't want warranty issues. I have been to two dealer in Atlanta and both wanted $1,400 for the job. If there is a dealer within 100 miles that will charge me a reasonable amount, I'm all ears!!

Before anybody says to buy the gears,have another shop change them and buy a tuner, I'll stop you. I have an extended warranty due to the overwhelming amount of stuff that has broken to date - pinion seal, sway bar, electronics, stereo, water pump, top, etc. I really did not want a Ford warranty since I have a mechanic friend that I would rather work on the car anyway. Fact is, Ford warranty is less than half the cost of the Apco / Easy Care warranty that I have sworn by on half a dozen vehicles in the past. Aside from that, I don't know that I will ever do anything other than gears to need a tuner.

Other suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
$1500 is what i was quoted here in Texas, thats likely the going rate.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well at that price you could just buy the entire rear axle and install it yourself, american muscle offers them in 3.55 and 3.73 with the added security that the gears are already assembled for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Still doesnt address the tune and or speedo though.

You could always call the dealer and see if they will just do the reflash for you?
Sometimes they're still willing to do that and arent quite as keen as to what it means in regards to warranty and everything. Just the reflash was only like ... $110? I cant remember exactly.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The dealer will charge that price range all day long. Plus no real guarantees as it's "aftermarket" and they install on an as-is basis.

For the speedo, they can play with the tire size settings to get it close.

Also, a tune does not void your warranty. Read Magnusson moss and then find a dealer that will not be a stickler. If a suspension part breaks, they can't really blame the tune now can they?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I am pretty familiar with Moss Magnusson but I also do not want to fight over it with Ford (whether I am right or not) every time there is a problem - which is more often than I would like....
Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is there a reasonable dealer to change gears around Atlanta?

Anything aftermarket my dealer sells(usually Roush and Ford Racing) and installs is covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and has ZERO impact on the drivetrain warranty.

If I want Ford Racing gears they will install it and cover it under warranty. I just have to pay the dealers premium shop pricing.

My Roush AB and CAI are now covered under my 3/36 by them. Same thing when I get the suspension kit done. I don't mind paying the dealers shop rate($80/hr) as long as I get the warranty.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Anything aftermarket my dealer sells(usually Roush and Ford Racing) and installs is covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and has ZERO impact on the drivetrain warranty.

If I want Ford Racing gears they will install it and cover it under warranty. I just have to pay the dealers premium shop pricing.

My Roush AB and CAI are now covered under my 3/36 by them. Same thing when I get the suspension kit done. I don't mind paying the dealers shop rate($80/hr) as long as I get the warranty.
80 an hour but the knuckledraggers quote 10 hours for a 3 hour job lol.

I am of the mindset to avoid the dealership at all costs. Especially now that I'm above 60k miles and have no warranty to worry about.

More specifically I hate dealing with the slime ball that is my local service advisor.

But, that's just my opinion.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Avoid the Stealership* at all costs.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
80 an hour but the knuckledraggers quote 10 hours for a 3 hour job lol.

I am of the mindset to avoid the dealership at all costs. Especially now that I'm above 60k miles and have no warranty to worry about.

More specifically I hate dealing with the slime ball that is my local service advisor.

But, that's just my opinion.

The guys at my place are pretty honest. It's a 1 hour minimum charge. My AB was charged 1 hour. My CAI was an hour. Could I have done these myself? Sure. But I don't have much for tools, I don't have a space to actually take things apart and it wouldn't be covered under my warranty.

They quoted me $320 install or 4 hours for the FULL Ford racing suspension kit including alignment. That $320 seems fair in my mind, they have all the tools, spare nuts and bolts, lifts, and general know-how. Plus it's covered under my warranty.

I pick what I want, they order it at Internet price if it's not already in stock, I drop my car off and go get breakfast, come back and my car is done.

Not all dealers are complete scum. You just have to find a reasonable and fair one to work with. Bonus if you get a dealer that has a dedicated performance/accessories install bay and techs.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
The guys at my place are pretty honest. It's a 1 hour minimum charge. My AB was charged 1 hour. My CAI was an hour. Could I have done these myself? Sure. But I don't have much for tools, I don't have a space to actually take things apart and it wouldn't be covered under my warranty.

They quoted me $320 install or 4 hours for the FULL Ford racing suspension kit including alignment. That $320 seems fair in my mind, they have all the tools, spare nuts and bolts, lifts, and general know-how. Plus it's covered under my warranty.

I pick what I want, they order it at Internet price if it's not already in stock, I drop my car off and go get breakfast, come back and my car is done.

Not all dealers are complete scum. You just have to find a reasonable and fair one to work with. Bonus if you get a dealer that has a dedicated performance/accessories install bay and techs.
Granted, there are honest dealerships out there. The ones I've come across either price it so high they know you won't pay it because they don't want to put in the work or they try to eek as much out of you as possible.

I replaced my steering wheel with one from a Boss 302 and I needed them to do a flash on the ACM so that the controls would work for the audio. The sleeze quoted me 2 days of work even after I showed him the data he has to program that takes the better part of 15 minutes.

I realize they have other cars to get to, but from a time management perspective, it would have been simpler to knock mine out, get my money and move on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang