Is there a reasonable dealer to change gears around Atlanta? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
sbbamafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roswell
Region: Georgia
Posts: 211
Is there a reasonable dealer to change gears around Atlanta?

I really want to change from 2.73 to 3.31 and I really don't want warranty issues. I have been to two dealer in Atlanta and both wanted $1,400 for the job. If there is a dealer within 100 miles that will charge me a reasonable amount, I'm all ears!!

Before anybody says to buy the gears,have another shop change them and buy a tuner, I'll stop you. I have an extended warranty due to the overwhelming amount of stuff that has broken to date - pinion seal, sway bar, electronics, stereo, water pump, top, etc. I really did not want a Ford warranty since I have a mechanic friend that I would rather work on the car anyway. Fact is, Ford warranty is less than half the cost of the Apco / Easy Care warranty that I have sworn by on half a dozen vehicles in the past. Aside from that, I don't know that I will ever do anything other than gears to need a tuner.

Other suggestions?
__________________
2013 Red Candy Convertible with Stone Leather, Pony Package and Mt-82
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
$1500 is what i was quoted here in Texas, thats likely the going rate.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 168
Well at that price you could just buy the entire rear axle and install it yourself, american muscle offers them in 3.55 and 3.73 with the added security that the gears are already assembled for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Still doesnt address the tune and or speedo though.

You could always call the dealer and see if they will just do the reflash for you?
Sometimes they're still willing to do that and arent quite as keen as to what it means in regards to warranty and everything. Just the reflash was only like ... $110? I cant remember exactly.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
The dealer will charge that price range all day long. Plus no real guarantees as it's "aftermarket" and they install on an as-is basis.

For the speedo, they can play with the tire size settings to get it close.

Also, a tune does not void your warranty. Read Magnusson moss and then find a dealer that will not be a stickler. If a suspension part breaks, they can't really blame the tune now can they?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sbbamafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roswell
Region: Georgia
Posts: 211
I am pretty familiar with Moss Magnusson but I also do not want to fight over it with Ford (whether I am right or not) every time there is a problem - which is more often than I would like....
__________________
2013 Red Candy Convertible with Stone Leather, Pony Package and Mt-82
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Region: Arizona
Posts: 311
Is there a reasonable dealer to change gears around Atlanta?

Anything aftermarket my dealer sells(usually Roush and Ford Racing) and installs is covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and has ZERO impact on the drivetrain warranty.

If I want Ford Racing gears they will install it and cover it under warranty. I just have to pay the dealers premium shop pricing.

My Roush AB and CAI are now covered under my 3/36 by them. Same thing when I get the suspension kit done. I don't mind paying the dealers shop rate($80/hr) as long as I get the warranty.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Anything aftermarket my dealer sells(usually Roush and Ford Racing) and installs is covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and has ZERO impact on the drivetrain warranty.

If I want Ford Racing gears they will install it and cover it under warranty. I just have to pay the dealers premium shop pricing.

My Roush AB and CAI are now covered under my 3/36 by them. Same thing when I get the suspension kit done. I don't mind paying the dealers shop rate($80/hr) as long as I get the warranty.
80 an hour but the knuckledraggers quote 10 hours for a 3 hour job lol.

I am of the mindset to avoid the dealership at all costs. Especially now that I'm above 60k miles and have no warranty to worry about.

More specifically I hate dealing with the slime ball that is my local service advisor.

But, that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Avoid the Stealership* at all costs.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Region: Arizona
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
80 an hour but the knuckledraggers quote 10 hours for a 3 hour job lol.

I am of the mindset to avoid the dealership at all costs. Especially now that I'm above 60k miles and have no warranty to worry about.

More specifically I hate dealing with the slime ball that is my local service advisor.

But, that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

The guys at my place are pretty honest. It's a 1 hour minimum charge. My AB was charged 1 hour. My CAI was an hour. Could I have done these myself? Sure. But I don't have much for tools, I don't have a space to actually take things apart and it wouldn't be covered under my warranty.

They quoted me $320 install or 4 hours for the FULL Ford racing suspension kit including alignment. That $320 seems fair in my mind, they have all the tools, spare nuts and bolts, lifts, and general know-how. Plus it's covered under my warranty.

I pick what I want, they order it at Internet price if it's not already in stock, I drop my car off and go get breakfast, come back and my car is done.

Not all dealers are complete scum. You just have to find a reasonable and fair one to work with. Bonus if you get a dealer that has a dedicated performance/accessories install bay and techs.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
The guys at my place are pretty honest. It's a 1 hour minimum charge. My AB was charged 1 hour. My CAI was an hour. Could I have done these myself? Sure. But I don't have much for tools, I don't have a space to actually take things apart and it wouldn't be covered under my warranty.

They quoted me $320 install or 4 hours for the FULL Ford racing suspension kit including alignment. That $320 seems fair in my mind, they have all the tools, spare nuts and bolts, lifts, and general know-how. Plus it's covered under my warranty.

I pick what I want, they order it at Internet price if it's not already in stock, I drop my car off and go get breakfast, come back and my car is done.

Not all dealers are complete scum. You just have to find a reasonable and fair one to work with. Bonus if you get a dealer that has a dedicated performance/accessories install bay and techs.
Granted, there are honest dealerships out there. The ones I've come across either price it so high they know you won't pay it because they don't want to put in the work or they try to eek as much out of you as possible.

I replaced my steering wheel with one from a Boss 302 and I needed them to do a flash on the ACM so that the controls would work for the audio. The sleeze quoted me 2 days of work even after I showed him the data he has to program that takes the better part of 15 minutes.

I realize they have other cars to get to, but from a time management perspective, it would have been simpler to knock mine out, get my money and move on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 v6 Gear Change at dealer Thegreenmachine 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 28 10-17-2014 07:35 AM
What my trip to the dealer for an oil change turned in to... DiESeven 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 34 08-04-2014 12:13 AM
Royal Purple & Dealer Oil Change? Fritzep 2011-2014 Mustang GT 29 04-22-2013 09:58 PM
Atlanta and South Atlanta Area Gobabygo67 Regional Mustang Discussion 10 04-18-2013 05:20 PM
Anybody around Atlanta? 2002Gt Regional Mustang Discussion 18 07-24-2011 08:46 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:13 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.