An Ebay electric supercharger that might work wut? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

Region: Arizona
An Ebay electric supercharger that might work wut?

Gast R1 Series 27CFM Regenair Regenerative Blower R1102 26 5 INH2O | eBay

I have been thinking about superchargers alot lately, a high pressure electric pump for an air compressor might actually do the job not like the fake bs they sell on ebay. Just a thought, and a laught, might be the future of supercharging lol.
quamz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A lot of people laugh at this idea, but i actually read this whole thread and have been saying this for years; use an electric motor to drive the compressor side of a turbo. The problem is no electric motor could ever produce, or survive the RPMs needed for decent compression, but even at only ~2 psi this little guy pumps up the BR-z quite a bit. Granted, you have to consider the airflow needs of that engine vs your 3.7, but the principle is there. Its an interesting thought...

Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

Cane survive the rpms? Nope not a problem

Compressors ~ Celeroton AG - Ultra-high-speed electrical drive systems

high rpm motor 1/4 of a million rpms blows away a traditional turbo or super, just a matter of having enough power to displace the kind of air we would need.

Its definitely possible. It just comes down to producing enough current to support it, how powerful of an alternator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
A lot of people laugh at this idea, but i actually read this whole thread and have been saying this for years; use an electric motor to drive the compressor side of a turbo. The problem is no electric motor could ever produce, or survive the RPMs needed for decent compression, but even at only ~2 psi this little guy pumps up the BR-z quite a bit. Granted, you have to consider the airflow needs of that engine vs your 3.7, but the principle is there. Its an interesting thought...

Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
Very interesting info, just think about it, if they can spin at that speed and we have electric compressors than a electric turbo or supercharger is a valid concept, just a hard realization as far as any large output is concerned.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
An Ebay electric supercharger that might work wut?

Just some food for thought.... The guys from Australia on you tube proved the eBay electric fans do not work but two leaf blowers do lmfao
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geok.91 View Post
Just some food for thought.... The guys from Australia on you tube proved the eBay electric fans do not work but two leaf blowers do lmfao
Ya these guys did it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJ...6XFxq9Ga8W2J3A

Its hilarious
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Lol I know I love watching them
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamz0 View Post
Cane survive the rpms? Nope not a problem

Compressors ~ Celeroton AG - Ultra-high-speed electrical drive systems

high rpm motor 1/4 of a million rpms blows away a traditional turbo or super, just a matter of having enough power to displace the kind of air we would need.

Its definitely possible. It just comes down to producing enough current to support it, how powerful of an alternator?

The strongest unit they have listed there is 55 g/s, Which is quite a decent bit of flow ... but it also looks like it requires some serious juice to operate. Its an interesting concept, but i believe the work / effort vs convential gas turbines is just not worth it. It would be nice to eliminate the lag via an electic turbine side, but you'd still run into the issues of compressor surge and operating outside the effective pressure ratio. The ends just dont justify the means sadly, for any "big" performance benefit. Those BRz guys seem to make a lot out of a little though.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
The high pressure (but low volume) pumps noted in the original post will not work for this, because an engine is a high volume (and low pressure) application. Even 'extreme' boost levels are technically low pressure from a compressor standpoint. Notice the linked example is 27CFM. Meanwhile, if my math is correct, a 3.7L engine theoretically consumes ~425CFM @6500rpm. In order to create positive pressure, it needs to be able to flow more air than the engine naturally consumes.

You can follow my Ford based 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
@GarageOdyssey (instagram and twitter)
Driven5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
The high pressure (but low volume) pumps noted in the original post will not work for this, because an engine is a high volume (and low pressure) application. Even 'extreme' boost levels are technically low pressure from a compressor standpoint. Notice the linked example is 27CFM. Meanwhile, if my math is correct, a 3.7L engine theoretically consumes ~425CFM @6500rpm. In order to create positive pressure, it needs to be able to flow more air than the engine naturally consumes.

I dont have any of my datalogs on hand, but you can check the MAF flow rate and measure how much air the engine is injesting at any given point.

Your math seems reasonable though, as a rough estimate of an NA, 2.0L BRz is ~226 cfm, or about 50% of what the 3.7L (almost 2x the engine size) needs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang