Sudden lack of engine braking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sudden lack of engine braking

I was driving to work today and I would say that engine braking was working fine if not rather aggressive. Today on my way home it seemed fine until about 30 minutes into my drive then all of a sudden I had 0 engine braking. I could actually coast in first at 3k rpms with no noticeable drop in rpm for over a quarter mile. I tried in various gears, on various elevations. On uphill stretches it would slow down, it doesn't feel like the throttle is sticking. When I push in the clutch the rpms do drop.

Saturday I had my CAI installed and all looks great under the hood. I cant find any loose connections. I do see that the battery was unhooked, could this be the ECU relearning the intake? I was only able to drive it once this weekend for about 15 miles on my way home from the dealer and again about 5 miles too/from taco bell. I didn't actually get any serious seat time until today on my 55 mile commute to work and again on my way home. Anything else to check? I wont be able to get back to the shop until Friday.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would check nothing has physically interfered with the throttle blade. Had that happen a long time ago, a little strip of rubber from the coupler came off and got wedged into the throttle blade, forcing it open and the car kept accelerating ... that was not fun.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing is sticking it's almost like I had no back pressure. Pushing in the clutch dropped the Rpms so it wasn't throttle sticking.

Today seemed a little better. If yesterday was 0% engine brake, today felt like 50% of normal. If it stays between this and say 70% of normal than I will be happy.

At this point I think it's an ecu relearning thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Its throttle related whatever it is, but the CAI shouldnt be that much different than stock... interesting.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I would try an idle re-learn (see owners manual)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It seems to be correcting itself.

It went from absolute 0 back pressure to having a reasonable amount in 3rd-6th. 1st and 2nd it's still a little light but I think it's about perfect. It used to be pretty aggressive and made driving in bumper to bumper traffic rather miserable. Now it's much more tolerable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang