5.0 engine swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
5.0 engine swap?

What is the total costs and risks of getting a 5.0 engine swap would it be better just to buy a 5.0? Wasn't to happy with my track times so I'm looking for a 2014 5.0 thanks everyone

3pointHeaven
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Not worth it.

Either get a ProCharger or buy a 5.0.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Not worth it.

Either get a ProCharger or buy a 5.0.
^ Yup. If you wanted a 5.0, you should have gotten one. All the costs associated to making the swap are well over the difference between a V6 and buying a 5.0.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
^ Yup. If you wanted a 5.0, you should have gotten one. All the costs associated to making the swap are well over the difference between a V6 and buying a 5.0.

I was going to but couldn't afford it at the time but I can now so it's just a debate if I procharge the v6 it just isn't the same to me

3pointHeaven
Old 11-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_out View Post
I was going to but couldn't afford it at the time but I can now so it's just a debate if I procharge the v6 it just isn't the same to me

3pointHeaven

If you really want it then definitely go get a 5.0, but also keep in mind that a ProCharged 3.7 is faster than a stock 5.0 on top of being able to keep your 3.7 insurance rate.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

You can either join the bandwagon and get a 5.0. Or have a unique experience and turbo the v6. Then one day you can say "yea i did that". Other perks are you can tune the hell out of a turbo'd v6 and you can take advantage of other mods to build up from it. And you can compete the other 5.0s.

I believe winning with a unique v6 will be more satisfying then with a 5.0. With the 5.0 you will almost expect most wins. Whereas you might be surprised at first with what your v6 can do.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
boost is cool but if you can get a 5.0 go for it.. i dont think it has anything to do with a bandwagon its more what people can afford and what they cant. i have a boosted v6 took a lot of time and money to get it where it is.. but still cheaper for me to do what i did then to get a 5.0.. if you can afford the payments and insurance do it, i know i would

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Anything can be made fast with enough money and I don't buy into the whole 'be unique and have a fast V6'. If you see a honda run 10's does it mean more then a Mustang GT that runs 10's because its 'Unique'? Now a days there are smaller engines that are just as capable as running good times as larger engines so you can guarantee you will not be the first to do it. If there are 2 kinds of people on this site that I can't stand its the V8 guys who say 'Mustangs should only have V8's in them' and the V6 guys who say 'If you turbo/SC a V6 then you will beat a stock V8' (especially when their cars are stock with minor bolt ons).

There are benefits and drawbacks to any modifications. One big drawback to adding forced induction to a N/A factory setup and increasing HP that much is reliability. You might not have any issues but you could also just as likely blow a motor the first day. Its a risk you have to be willing to take. I would really sit back and think about how much HP you really want to be happy with your car and decide what route makes the most sense to get there.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
If there are 2 kinds of people on this site that I can't stand its the V8 guys who say 'Mustangs should only have V8's in them' and the V6 guys who say 'If you turbo/SC a V6 then you will beat a stock V8'

Not to go way off topic here, but why can't you stand when people say that a turbo/SC V6 can beat a stock V8?

It's an actual fact.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Not to go way off topic here, but why can't you stand when people say that a turbo/SC V6 can beat a stock V8?

It's an actual fact.
It's not so much when people say it but the way some people say it. And when its said the 5.0 guys say 'well if you add forced induction to a V8 it will beat your V6 with forced induction' then the V6 guys says 'well I still spent less' and it goes back and forth. Truth is that if you want the biggest 'bang for your buck' from a performance standpoint you wouldn't buy a new/ relatively new car.

I guess I just wish everyone could understand that people buy things for different reasons/ goals opposed to everyone should buy what I have because it is the best choice.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
If you really want it then definitely go get a 5.0, but also keep in mind that a ProCharged 3.7 is faster than a stock 5.0 on top of being able to keep your 3.7 insurance rate.
And then the 5.0 adds a few bolt ons and a tune and is back in front.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
It's not so much when people say it but the way some people say it. And when its said the 5.0 guys say 'well if you add forced induction to a V8 it will beat your V6 with forced induction' then the V6 guys says 'well I still spent less' and it goes back and forth. Truth is that if you want the biggest 'bang for your buck' from a performance standpoint you wouldn't buy a new/ relatively new car.

I guess I just wish everyone could understand that people buy things for different reasons/ goals opposed to everyone should buy what I have because it is the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
And then the 5.0 adds a few bolt ons and a tune and is back in front.

I'm talking about in this instanceā€¦the OP's question. It's not a 3.7 vs 5.0 debate.

Guy already has a 3.7. If you could go back in time and the debate was getting the 3.7 and ProCharging or getting the 5.0 stock, I'd say get the 5.0. But he's already bought the 3.7.

It is not a good modification to swap the 3.7 for the 5.0 in that car.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

1. You'd have to swap the engine, ecu, wiring harness, k-member, driveshaft, everything ... the swap would cost entirely more than the difference between the two cars is worth.

2. Having Done the big boost / built motor thing i will offer my opinion on the matter. For the record, a procharged v6 as it comes from procharger will lose to a intake / H-pipe / tune 5.0 ... ask me how i know :p. That being said though, boost is cool, and can do wonders for a car, it truely is addicting. That being said, it also adds a LOT of potential for failure.
We were working on a guys procharged V6 once and the car was just down on performance. Turns out the check valve procharger sends had failed and he was boosting the crankcase, so we had to re route all his vacuum lines before the car started behaving right.
Had another time the ghetto-rigged coolant line from procharger was leaking and spraying on the belt causing slip
I've seen the BPVs fail causing boost leaks

Not to mention when you start tampering with the fuel system, i've won a lot of races, made a lot of horsepower, and done big things with boost ... but its not without its own set of headaches and frustrations. I'm not saying its impossible to have a flawless procharged set up, just saying that the more you mess with something, the higher the potential for failure is.

Just gotta decide if the headaches are worth it, and dont kid yourself, there will be headaches. Not to mention if something fails and the car is down for a while ... I eventually just got to the point where i hated my last car and was ready to be rid of it. I just wanted some all motor, simplicity, just HP i didnt have to worry about. To each his own though, you'll just have to decide where you would rather spend your time and money. Being the underdog is cool, but eventually there comes a point where there is a reason that is the road less traveled ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Take the money you would spend on boost/swap and put it towards a trade on a 5.0 if that's what you really want. Less headaches IMO.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is my opinion (Not worth much) but it is mine.

I have a 3.7 V6 and I love it. It runs as fast as I need it to. I get great MPG and 1/2 the price of insurance. Less maintenance too. I have it just about the way I want it. There are only a few things I would like to have. Aluminum driveshaft and thinking of a tune. They are something I really don't need but just would like to have. This V6 is good for my type of driving and I don't need to have a V8 even though I love them.

For some of the Mustang people, Only a V8 will do. That is what they want and that is what they really need to own. They will never be happy with a V6 anything including A Ferrari Dino.

The new Turbo four is going to be in the 2015's and there are some that will buy a Mustang with the Four and love it.

If I was going to buy a 2015 Mustang, I think I would get the 3.7 V6 again.
But I'm not going to give up my 2012 MCA Red Candy Mustang for anything. It is the perfect car for me.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
I'm talking about in this instanceā€¦the OP's question. It's not a 3.7 vs 5.0 debate.

Guy already has a 3.7. If you could go back in time and the debate was getting the 3.7 and ProCharging or getting the 5.0 stock, I'd say get the 5.0. But he's already bought the 3.7.

It is not a good modification to swap the 3.7 for the 5.0 in that car.

He said he did not want to Procharge his 3.7. If he wants to trade for a 5.0 now is the time to do it. New '14 5.0's are the same price as year old cars at the moment, but inventory is getting very low.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Just get a turbo whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

See everyone says to turbo the v6 because it's an underdog and I understand that and I also understand that if you do the same to a v8 it will be faster then the v6 obviously but it will cost more. I'm not looking to win every race I just don't wanna lose all of them but my main reason on getting the 5.0 is the sound. It's a stupid reason but no long tube headers with x pipes and axlebacks on a v6 will match the sound of the v8

3pointHeaven
Old 12-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Did you not think about any of this when looking into buying a new mustang for 20K+?

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Did you not think about any of this when looking into buying a new mustang for 20K+?

No I didn't even think to buy used honestly I wasn't thinking at all I just new I could afford a $500 car payment and that's what I'm doing but now that I know I'm paying what 5.0 owners pay I want the 5.0

3pointHeaven
Old 12-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Did you get the whistle???

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang