Stock cold air intake? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
A lesson you can learn the easy way or the hard way in modifying your car: Save for quality parts. You cheap out, you have issues later and end up spending even more money to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I agree, I just dont want to buy an expensive part that regardless wont do much. I hate putting bad brands or no brands on my car so I dont but I am kind of making an exception for just the cold air intake.
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
3.7 OEM Air Intake Silencer Delete

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #39
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Stock cold air intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
A lesson you can learn the easy way or the hard way in modifying your car: Save for quality parts. You cheap out, you have issues later and end up spending even more money to fix it.

This. So much this.

There's an old saying in car modding:

1) Cheap
2) Fast
3) Reliable

You can only pick 2.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Or my personal favorite, having done it more times than i can count:

"The cheap man pays twice." You then end up spending more in the end lol.
Spectre is an autozone brand, and a lot of their stuff is cheap plastic. The only benefit to plastic is it doesnt heat soak the same as aluminum, but i'm just not a fan of their quality. Also, does their intake include an airbox? That may be the price difference right there, and its honestly worth spending the money on a quality unit.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #41
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Or my personal favorite, having done it more times than i can count:

"The cheap man pays twice." You then end up spending more in the end lol.

I was always taught this lesson as, "Buy once, cry once." Has held true for any of my other hobbies (saltwater reefkeeping, firearms, homebrew, golf).

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #42
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I scored a Airaid used and bought it for sound alone = $ well spent.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #43
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I scored a Airaid used and bought it for sound alone = $ well spent.

If I stumbled upon one for a good price I'd probably grab it just for the sound too.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #44
Kevin.Cook

I used to have an 08 mustang and I tried a Spectre CAI. Unfortunately, since most of their's at the time had chrome tubes, i could feel my car performing slightly worse. As the Texas heat did not play well with it. So after learning my lesson, I will only go with expensive quality parts.

Now I use a SynthaMax Airaid CAI. It has the kind of tubing you want as well as a heat shield. It also utilizes the snorkel from the grille. So in my opinion, it was well worth the $300.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I already bought a sound tube from a 5.0 owner and I plan on installing it where VIG has installed his but I was thinking if I get an airaid intake tube that should get me even more intake noise. Am I on track here or is there a point of diminishing return here? If I go this route I'm curious to see how it's going to compare to an off the shelf cold air intake

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Instead of adding "fake" noise I just bought a cheap intake that will give me the noise I want. It might not give me much performance but most intakes do so that is that I went with since people are saying the airaid tube only mad a slight difference and for the same price I bought a new cold air intake that does both.

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Instead of adding "fake" noise I just bought a cheap intake that will give me the noise I want. It might not give me much performance but most intakes do so that is that I went with since people are saying the airaid tube only mad a slight difference and for the same price I bought a new cold air intake that does both.

Only problem with the cheap intakes that are 50-100 dollars on eBay is you'll likely loose performance. If it's just an open filter Thats sucking in hot engine air and doesn't have the R&D that other intakes have into them

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

True but I would say more of neutral performance rather than negative because it's really not going to hurt your performance even buying a cheap intake. It's just not going to gain very much if any.

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

The one I bought has a heat shield and at cruising speeds the air will be rushed into the grill into the intake.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The one I bought has a heat shield and at cruising speeds the air will be rushed into the grill into the intake.

If it doesn't have the proper snorkel like the stock intake, it's pulling hot ambient air from the engine bay.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I believe with the heat shield it is not though. Maybe at a stand still but not while driving.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
This from Ebaymart looks very similar to the so NAME BRANDS at a lower coin, I order one just for looks and a bit of sound. I like the clamps style , the shield black rubber molding, the reusable red filter and they sold it for 95$ shipped . Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (15).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	171205 Cold out side air will flow via the factory vent/snorkel behind the grill
Old 12-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydos View Post
This from Ebaymart looks very similar to the so NAME BRANDS at a lower coin, I order one just for looks and a bit of sound. I like the clamps style , the shield black rubber molding, the reusable red filter and they sold it for 95$ shipped . Attachment 171205 Cold out side air will flow via the factory vent/snorkel behind the grill

I see where your MAF gets installed, but I do not see the one or two nipples to plug your vacuum hoses in (1 for stick, 2 for auto). Do they show in any other pictures?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I see where your MAF gets installed, but I do not see the one or two nipples to plug your vacuum hoses in (1 for stick, 2 for auto). Do they show in any other pictures?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
It has both, look at the details on Ebay, this one is mention on the thread
Old 12-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It has both, look at the details on Ebay, this one is mention on the thread

Yeah but if you look at the airaid, roush, steeda, etc they all have a lower piece to utilize the factory cold air track in the fender that connects directly to that lower piece. There is a reason it's 95 dollars. Again to each his own but when spending 20-40 k on a car why cheap out over 150 dollars for a cheap knock odd brand that clearly isn't build as well or had the R&D put into it.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Yeah but if you look at the airaid, roush, steeda, etc they all have a lower piece to utilize the factory cold air track in the fender that connects directly to that lower piece. There is a reason it's 95 dollars. Again to each his own but when spending 20-40 k on a car why cheap out over 150 dollars for a cheap knock odd brand that clearly isn't build as well or had the R&D put into it.

Agreed. If you don't have the money for a quality part, just be patient and wait.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

FWIW, R&D done and a copy can be duplicated , my brand new 2014 V6 was only 16,750 plus tax/tags, by today's standard a very economical daily driver.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FWIW, R&D done and a copy can be duplicated , my brand new 2014 V6 was only 16,750 plus tax/tags, by today's standard a very economical daily driver.

Yeah but clearly by looking at the unit It deletes the factory cold air system. If It copied it effectively I would say go for it. But clearly it is a horrible copy that adds a little noise and probable has some negative impact on performance. I bet if you added a iat gauge and tested the eBay knock off and the stock intake the stock unit would give a noticeable difference in temperatures. I'm all for saving money but in certain areas Its worth paying a little more.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I truly don't think it would be a noticeable loss of performance.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Then get it and do a review on it. Just remember we all tried to warn you.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Im not sure what I am getting yet, just saying an opinion. But yeah thanks for the input.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ The Ebay CAI mention above comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, with shipping on the return included plus the vendor has good ratings . If it is a piece of sh**t nothing lost.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I like it. Will see how it is when I get it because I don't see negative performance coming out of it.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Obviously it will get negative attention though like any other non brand name thing. If it's not a Steeda or Airaid then people don't want/like it.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Obviously it will get negative attention though like any other non brand name thing. If it's not a Steeda or Airaid then people don't want/like it.

Its your car and your money, and its not so much about the name brand as it it proven performance. Most would tell you to not buy a Roush and but a Airaid instead because its the same unit re-branded except its cheaper.

Look at the picture of that vs the airaid, steeda, K&N, AEM, etc Really any brand that is known for quality products and on the 11-14 mustangs they all have a lower tray that utilizes the stock cold air intake system. Ford actually did a really good job with that and that is why its a cold air intake system. By taking away that element of the intake you essentially just have a short ram intake opposed to a CAI that is pulling in hot engine air. Another big issue I see is the multi-piece intake tube. Generally a quality intake that short will have a single tube so that air can flow smoothly through it. This is likely done because its a really cheap unit so the parts are made to be interchangeable for different cars so they can mass produce a couple parts and make them fit on multiple cars. And the last big issue is the filter itself. Its labeled as a 'high performance filter' I've seen filters like this side by side K&N's in the cheap inport section of Advanced Auto parts when I used to work there. There extremely cheap and no where in the same ball part as a quality K&N filter. I could only imagine all the crap that will let through into your engine.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I agree but I don't think it's going to make a big negative impact. The filter I completely agree and would just buy a new filter to put on it which would still make it much cheaper than a name brand. The pieces that connect to each other and stuff like that though I don't think will make a big difference. Maybe like 1 HP if that. Honestly.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

If each of the things I listed lose a minimum of 1-3 hp your talking spending money to lose 3-9 hp. Doesn't seem like an effective use of money for noise which is why everyone is saying to stay away.

But it's your car and your money so do what you want. Just know everyone is saying to stay away bc it's a cheap pos that offers no performance benefits which is reflective in the price. Not because it's not a "name brand". Myself and everyone else here have nothing to gain by steeda or airaid selling more units. These are recommended because there quality parts.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

You're not going to loose 3-9 HP lol I'm all for opinions but not stupid claims.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
You're not going to loose 3-9 HP lol I'm all for opinions but not stupid claims.

You'd be surprised how high quality the OEM stock box is in comparison to CAI's in general, losing a chunk of hp like that is very possible.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

This was many years ago, on a different platform, so the results arent "apples to apples" per se' but the general idea is the same.

We saw a tremendous change going from an SRI located in the engine bay to a CAI located in the fender well, like 2-3 10ths and a few mph difference, and this was on an Na 4 cylinder. I can imagine a larger engine needing more air will respond more favorably, or consequently poorly, to either cool or hot air.

Now, i dont really have any quantifiable data in this case to say why the Ebay one is necessarily a poor choice, just that i'm not really feeling it. Dont get me wrong, i try to save a buck where i can, but after doing this for quite some time now, you kind of learn that you're really not saving yourself much in the end.

Really my only gripe is that accordion-esque coupler immediately post MAF sensor ... it could very well be fine, but i'm going to go out on a limb and assume that intake was not designed and dataloged to check the stability of the MAF voltage. I feel like i've said this before, and it may very well have been in this thread, i cant remember ... At any rate, i've had to tune a few "custom" intakes before, and when the MAF volts are all over the damn place and i cant construct a good fuel curve, i'm going to tell you to hit the road or get a new intake. Its a pretty critical part of the system, its a little bit more than just the hot air / cold air debate.

Just my .02, it could very well work just fine, Just take my rant for what its worth.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake