Stock cold air intake? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #71

Region: Florida
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
I agree with you. I hate how people bash on CAI because most of them are "just a for sound" don't don't do much for performance. In my opinion, sound is super important, especially for cars with performance driving in mind. There is a reason that exotic cars use high revving v8/10/12 motors. Sound is so important that many car manufacturers today are using fake/engineered sound that is piped/played through the cabin just for the aural stimulation that it brings. To me, sound is just as important as adding horsepower.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Think it's bad with the Mustang? Just a short while ago, someone posted here on ME that the Formula One cars no longer make that "high pitched" engine noise anymore, and the fans are in a somewhat uproar. I think the engine displacement changed on them. Don't think it changes their speed though. Maybe a sound tube directed at the crowds will make the fans happy again.

So, sound is in the hands (or better, ears) of the beholder.

Personally, I'd rather spend my money on a mod that's going to make my Mustang handle better, or go quicker. Sound does neither in these two departments.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #72
Registered Member
Region: Other
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

Now, i dont really have any quantifiable data in this case to say why the Ebay one is necessarily a poor choice, just that i'm not really feeling it. Dont get me wrong, i try to save a buck where i can, but after doing this for quite some time now, you kind of learn that you're really not saving yourself much in the end.

Really my only gripe is that accordion-esque coupler immediately post MAF sensor ... it could very well be fine, but i'm going to go out on a limb and assume that intake was not designed and dataloged to check the stability of the MAF voltage. I feel like i've said this before, and it may very well have been in this thread, i cant remember ... At any rate, i've had to tune a few "custom" intakes before, and when the MAF volts are all over the damn place and i cant construct a good fuel curve, i'm going to tell you to hit the road or get a new intake. Its a pretty critical part of the system, its a little bit more than just the hot air / cold air debate.

Just my .02, it could very well work just fine, Just take my rant for what its worth.
Thanks for the pointer. This is also an Ebay CAI for the V6 3.7 Pony but looks like a poor device (sells for 99.00$) Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI-FD013BK.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	171302 in comparison to one mention above

[SIGPIC] My other toy and babe
Toydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #73
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Eek lol, i'm not a fan of those "tuned" MAF diameters, just make the damn intake the right size. Its also incredibly hard to tell from that picture, but i'd like to see that air filter compared to another intake in terms of CFM capabilities. It looks to be a bit on the small side.

Air Filter Calculations

Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

cold air intake