Stock cold air intake? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stock cold air intake?

This might be a "dumb" question and might have been brought up before but would our stock intakes on a 2013 V6 be considered a cold air intake? since it directly draws air in from the grill which would be cold air and no engine heat? because I want a cold air intake for sound and looks but just weighing out the pros and cons. there are always those cold air intake debates and how good they are or if they even do anything but I am just considering getting one because I had one on my 5.0 which got totaled about a month ago and now need to start from stock with my 2013 V6,thanks!
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Just for sound and looks really. Even the Steeda.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The only thing you'll get out of an aftermarket CAI is the sound. There's no benefit to replacing the stock airbox until you start prosuperquadturboing your car.

To answer, yes, they're the same thing. Looks & Sound is the only difference at the current level your car is at.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'd do it again just for the sound.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So if it really does nothing it would be fine to get a Spectre cold air intake for $125 rather than a better brand such as Steeda or K&N for 300+?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Stock cold air intake?

Steeda requires a tune because it changes the MAF diameter.

Airaid/Roush are the same manufacturer and pretty much the standard.

The k&n kit, I've heard awful things about the quality.

I would spend a bit more money and get the airaid/Roush.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

But lets say the Spectre and Roush do not change the diameter then the only thing different would be the tube material and a 250$ difference wouldint it be? and the Spectre would be cheaper materials and less of a brand. I believe you get what you pay for but if a cold air intake does nothing to a stock Mustang then why buy top quality?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly know nothing about spectre.

Hopefully someone will chime in with how good/bad they are.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, well thanks for your input. I just dont want to buy an expensive intake if another one for half the price will be doing the same thing.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Stock cold air intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
But lets say the Spectre and Roush do not change the diameter then the only thing different would be the tube material and a 250$ difference wouldint it be? and the Spectre would be cheaper materials and less of a brand. I believe you get what you pay for but if a cold air intake does nothing to a stock Mustang then why buy top quality?

The Roush/Airaid utilize more of the OEM intake duct from the grille providing more cool air.

Neither of which are drawing more cool air than the OEM setup. The OEM kind of nailed it this time believe it or not.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Wow okay, makes sense. I might just buy a cheap cold air intake for sound and hope it keeps the performance the same or better rather than worse since the OEM intake is good but quite.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow okay, makes sense. I might just buy a cheap cold air intake for sound and hope it keeps the performance the same or better rather than worse since the OEM intake is good but quite.

You could take a look at fabricating something with the sound induction tune from the 5.0s like I did if you want the sound.

If you're interested, I'm selling my intake that I set up with the sound tube. I took it off once I put on the Borla axleback. It's giving me all the sound I want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417488151.050560.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	870.9 KB
ID:	170698
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Stock cold air intake?

Look up the airaid intake tube. It's like $120, keeps the stock airbox but changes the intake tube. You get the sound while keeping your cost down.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/airaid-mo...2014/p/CAK158/
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I thought it was the filter that made the sound by being open? I thought the stock box was quite because it is a square filter enclosed in the box that makes it quite? is it the tube that makes the sound? thank you!!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought it was the filter that made the sound by being open? I thought the stock box was quite because it is a square filter enclosed in the box that makes it quite? is it the tube that makes the sound? thank you!!

There are sound baffles on the intake tube that deaden the sound.

The sound tube takes the sound directly from the intake to the firewall.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The open filter gives it a little whooshing sound and is washable. The mit tube removes the sound baffles in the stock intake making the engine sounds more prominent to the driver.

The sound dune listed above is something the 5.0's have that pump the sound directly into the cabin.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
It's actually a bit of both. I had the airaid intake tube that removed the baffles but the sound improvement was very minimal. I returned it for the full airaid intake which sounded dramatically better. Very happy with my purchase.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I believe that for the most part CAIs are just noise makers. However, they do sound very nice. This is my first car without one and I'm sure I will get one eventually, if only for the sound. Why do we do axle backs? Sound and only sound, so why shouldn't we do the say for the intake? Plus it makes the engine compartment look really clean.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I believe that for the most part CAIs are just noise makers. However, they do sound very nice. This is my first car without one and I'm sure I will get one eventually, if only for the sound. Why do we do axle backs? Sound and only sound, so why shouldn't we do the say for the intake? Plus it makes the engine compartment look really clean.
That and you just have to clean the filter every once in a while rather than needing a new one. Not like there aren't drop in filters for the stock intake, just a small perk.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well now my debate would be to either get that Airaid tube for $105 or a cheap no brand cold air intake for $115 just for the sound....
Old 12-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post

I agree with you. I hate how people bash on CAI because most of them are "just a for sound" don't don't do much for performance. In my opinion, sound is super important, especially for cars with performance driving in mind. There is a reason that exotic cars use high revving v8/10/12 motors. Sound is so important that many car manufacturers today are using fake/engineered sound that is piped/played through the cabin just for the aural stimulation that it brings. To me, sound is just as important as adding horsepower.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Old 12-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well now my debate would be to either get that Airaid tube for $105 or a cheap no brand cold air intake for $115 just for the sound....

Save your money on the airaid tube. Way overpriced and I couldn't tell a difference in the sound when I installed it. Glad I got rid of it for the full intake.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

CAIS are some of the most common used items you'll see on ebay. Check there first.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So would you suggest to just buy a cheap intake like this just for the sound I am aiming for? I have supper 44 flowmasters that I love and want to make them sound a bit better

Fits 2011 2014 Ford Mustang 3 7L V6 Heat Shield Cold Air Intake w Red Filter | eBay
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So would you suggest to just buy a cheap intake like this just for the sound I am aiming for? I have supper 44 flowmasters that I love and want to make them sound a bit better

Fits 2011 2014 Ford Mustang 3 7L V6 Heat Shield Cold Air Intake w Red Filter | eBay

That doesn't look too bad, surprisingly! And for $98, it's pretty reasonable in the world of intakes.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I mean its no brand but I feel that it is comparable to any other intake that does not have a wider tube diameter..... the tube isint plastic or ABS but besides that I see no difference and I would think it will give me the sound I want, my old $125 spectre did
Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mean its no brand but I feel that it is comparable to any other intake that does not have a wider tube diameter..... the tube isint plastic or ABS but besides that I see no difference and I would think it will give me the sound I want, my old $125 spectre did

I would give it a try. Is there a return policy?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Stay away from that one. It doesn't have the snorkel that draws air from under the grille. That would just be pulling ambient hot air from the engine bay.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Stay away from that one. It doesn't have the snorkel that draws air from under the grille. That would just be pulling ambient hot air from the engine bay.

Good catch. I didn't even notice that!

Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed that but does it need to have that? wouldint air go into the grill and then to the filter? American muscle even has intakes with no snorkle for $200+

BBK Mustang Black Out Cold Air Intake 17785 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it by the way.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I noticed that but does it need to have that? wouldint air go into the grill and then to the filter? American muscle even has intakes with no snorkle for $200+

BBK Mustang Black Out Cold Air Intake 17785 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
For the coolest air, yes it needs that. I haven't seen a single person on here running that particular CAI.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would be cautious about putting a cheap intake on as it may hurt performance and pull hot air from the engine bay. Some have even reported top brand I takes raising intake temps. Although they look the same the stock intake and most top brand aftermarket intakes have gone through extensive r&d to ensure maximum flow. I would think putting a random pipe would hurt performance.

And the reason why people bash on people with intakes is when people say "I gained 15 hp from putting it on and felt a huge difference". Because clearly it doesn't make that big of a difference. I understand people who buy it for sound/ looks. It's no different with exhaust. I bought my magnaflow axle backs for sound, now if I started talking about 15-20 hp gains people would likely call me an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Airaid, Steeda, Roush, or K&N. Those are your real options here that still retain the snorkel.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

If im trying to spend less than $200 though I guess I should just get the Airaid? I really dont know. Airaid does not hurt performance but only makes a small amount of sound change while the $100 intake would make huge sound change but can possibly hurt performance, now I see why you guys buy $400 intakes lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake