Bama vs MPT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Bama vs MPT

So I just received my MPT 93 tune today. Haven't really been able to test it out much because of all the rain here.

If the weather clears up tomorrow I'm going to go to the track and do an official Bama 93R vs MPT 93 performance with race shifts.

Figure the more info the better.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
👍

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Datalog both runs for me if you can. If you have enough time / runs, try to snag just a 3rd gear pull on each tune as well. It will be really interesting to be able to compare tunes / dynos / ETs and MPH all off the same car in the same night.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Sounds good Vig-Keep me in the loop! I'd love to see how Bama's stacks up against the competition and I have a great feeling they'll be right there with theirs!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. Hopefully this crappy weather passes in time.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard a lot of good things about MPT tunes.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of my Bama tunes. Bama and AM have always been great to deal with, and I've been very pleased with my 93R's performance from them.

I've heard the rave reviews about the MPT and they had a 10% off sale so I figured I'd give them a shot for $63.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have the MPT 93OCT tune in my '13v6. I have to data log because even though it's a canned tune I can hear ping!!! Subtle but it's there. Took five revisions before they got the ping out of my 87oct canned tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just finished ordering my X4 w/ BAMA Tunes thanks to Alex! Can't wait to get it in and see what potential my car has hidden inside.

Looking forward to your results.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguevara View Post
I have the MPT 93OCT tune in my '13v6. I have to data log because even though it's a canned tune I can hear ping!!! Subtle but it's there. Took five revisions before they got the ping out of my 87oct canned tune.

Care to post those logs? sounds like you may just have some poor quality gas? The car would have to be knocking quite bad for it to be that audible, it would definitely have a noticeable impact when driving. Daily driving, or WOT?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of my Bama tunes. Bama and AM have always been great to deal with, and I've been very pleased with my 93R's performance from them.
Hey Vig-Happy to hear that you enjoyed running Bama's tunes on your car! Let us know how everything works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Just finished ordering my X4 w/ BAMA Tunes thanks to Alex! Can't wait to get it in and see what potential my car has hidden inside.

Thanks again for your continued support and loyalty, we appreciate it! Let me know if there's absolutely anything I can help out with, I'm always around!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like the weather is just too crappy. We'll have to see what next week looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

You're going to love it.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
In for some results.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I had Bama, mpt and steeda and by far MPT pulls much faster than my other tunes. Plus with the new tune that I datalogged with ken it's even more aggressive I freaking love it, I was going for custom tune but now I'm just gonna wait till I get my ported mani cos im very satisfied with my tune now. ALL IN FOR MPT

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Subb'd. If your experience is like every single other person the MPT tune should blow the Bama tune out of the water.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
My experience was different. My Bama 93R tune was quicker than the MPT 93 R at the track. We were data logging but ran out of time with the weather. Then I put the turbo on so never finished the NA tune data logging.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
My experience was different. My Bama 93R tune was quicker than the MPT 93 R at the track. We were data logging but ran out of time with the weather. Then I put the turbo on so never finished the NA tune data logging.
Jim, is it the hellion kit you have?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Yes it is
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Datalog both runs for me if you can. If you have enough time / runs, try to snag just a 3rd gear pull on each tune as well. It will be really interesting to be able to compare tunes / dynos / ETs and MPH all off the same car in the same night.
Already did that with my MPT vs Bama vs Steeda tunes, dyno war.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Now we are going to have a track war.

The Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #21
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Already did that with my MPT vs Bama vs Steeda tunes, dyno war.

Would you mind throwing that link up here? I think it would be helpful to see.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would you mind throwing that link up here? I think it would be helpful to see.
This dyno was done on the same day, same weather conditions, same car (mine) with my three different tunes. All were 91 octane tunes but had 93 gas in the tank that dyno day. You will see the rwhp numbers were very close for all three. MPT did come out #1 but it wasn't by much. I am very happy with all three tunes and have zero issues with any of them.

I will say that MPT seems to pull a bit harder over my hybrid Bama and Steeda but I'm a huge fan of Bama and think they are great. MPT does have their shift points sick and for automatics MPT is sheer magic. The engine braking on the MPT tune is sick. Just amazing how my auto feels and sounds like a manual but perfect shifts every time.

With that said, my 91 hybrid tune shifts great as well and have zero issues. I highly recommend having both Bama and MPT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417751630229.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	170995  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #23
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. Thanks for posting that up.

I'm noticing the MPT is definitely more aggressive.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This dyno was done on the same day, same weather conditions, same car (mine) with my three different tunes. All were 91 octane tunes but had 93 gas in the tank that dyno day. You will see the rwhp numbers were very close for all three. MPT did come out #1 but it wasn't by much. I am very happy with all three tunes and have zero issues with any of them.

I will say that MPT seems to pull a bit harder over my hybrid Bama and Steeda but I'm a huge fan of Bama and think they are great. MPT does have their shift points sick and for automatics MPT is sheer magic. The engine braking on the MPT tune is sick. Just amazing how my auto feels and sounds like a manual but perfect shifts every time.

With that said, my 91 hybrid tune shifts great as well and have zero issues. I highly recommend having both Bama and MPT.
Not to take anything away from MPT or your hard work to get this data, but it's an year old. Back then BAMA guys still had Mike (or mark?) as their lead tech, who as I've heard from multiple sources and personal experience didn't have much 'diversity' in his tuning capabilities.

With Paul as their lead calibrator, BAMA tunes have definitely come a long way. So have MPT, since they emailed me an updated version of my tune. It would be interesting to see how the present day tunes are going to stack up against each other.

Again Kona this post isn't directed against legibility of your tests.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Not to take anything away from MPT or your hard work to get this data, but it's an year old. Back then BAMA guys still had Mike (or mark?) as their lead tech, who as I've heard from multiple sources and personal experience didn't have much 'diversity' in his tuning capabilities.

With Paul as their lead calibrator, BAMA tunes have definitely come a long way. So have MPT, since they emailed me an updated version of my tune. It would be interesting to see how the present day tunes are going to stack up against each other.

Again Kona this post isn't directed against legibility of your tests.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
You're totally right sir. I have not tested my MPT tune against Bama's new tunes. Bama's new race tune could be more powerful than my MPT race tune. Now that I think about it, it may be closer to 1 1/2 years ago that I did my dyno testing.

I never asked for a new revised tune from Bama because I am really happy with their old hybrid tune. I'm a huge fan of AM, Bama and have had no issues with them. Their customer service is top notch and nobody works harder than Dan Bailer and Alex from AM to make their customers happy.

Since the new tuners hold 10 different tunes, I would defiantly have multi tunes and Bama and MPT would be in my arsenal. Lol
Old 12-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm receiving my tuner with a 93R loaded on it tomorrow. I don't have an MPT or any previous tune history to compare to, but I'll definitely let you guys know how it feels compared to stock!

Can't believe Alex set me up with a quote on Wednesday, told me it'd prob be like 4-5 business days because of the holiday sale they just did, call customer service to place my order from the quote, who also emphasized it could take 4-5 days. It's already going to be at my door TWO days later.

What more could you ask for !?!?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I really like my Bama tunes, but with all the positive feed back from the members here about MPT that have first hand experience with both Bama and MPT I'm definitely going to try them out come spring time! Great feed back guys!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I really like my Bama tunes, but with all the positive feed back from the members here about MPT that have first hand experience with both Bama and MPT I'm definitely going to try them out come spring time! Great feed back guys!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Nothing wrong with experimenting from time to time. I'm firmly in the MPT camp, but hopefully Bama has picked up their slack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

So VIG did you hit the track tonight?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #30
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

We've got real crap weather here in Delaware so unfortunately I haven't been able to go.

They have test & tunes Saturday and Wednesday's at Cecil County and tomorrow looks like a washout too. Wednesday they're calling for rain/snow.

Of course this happens when I wanna go play with my car.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
We've got real crap weather here in Delaware so unfortunately I haven't been able to go.

They have test & tunes Saturday and Wednesday's at Cecil County and tomorrow looks like a washout too. Wednesday they're calling for rain/snow.

Delawhere?? Lol I lived in Dover for 4 years. Cecil, MD is real nice. Weather here has been ****, its always like this this time of year. Waiting for the first big snows and then the roads to be caked in salt... ugh... This is why I want to move somewhere warm year round so I can drive a nice car in Jan.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

It was in the 80s in Houston today -_-
Old 12-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where about in Delaware you? I'm around the Middletown area.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Voltwings: I'm a DD. I thought bad gas too. So I tried different gas stations and put some Lucas gas treatment too. When I ran my 87OCT tune with 93OCT gas the ping went away. I also tried a tank of pure 87OCT (no ethanol) but still had some.

I am going to datalog my 93OCT tune this weekend in 3rd WOT. I can say that Ken at MPT has been great. Will keep you posted.

sguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #35
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Delawhere?? Lol I lived in Dover for 4 years. Cecil, MD is real nice. Weather here has been ****, its always like this this time of year. Waiting for the first big snows and then the roads to be caked in salt... ugh... This is why I want to move somewhere warm year round so I can drive a nice car in Jan.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of this. They've already hit the roads with salt because of a snow storm we were going to get. It wound up being just rain, but I'm still finding salt residue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
It was in the 80s in Houston today -_-

I used to live in Lake Jackson, about 40 miles south of you. I friggen miss Texas.

Quote:
Where about in Delaware you? I'm around the Middletown area.

Oh that's awesome! I live in Pike Creek in Wilmington. I'm down in Middletown all the time for work though. We should meet up some time! I'd really like to see your car in person.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang