Driveshaft problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Driveshaft problem

Does anyone know about the driveshaft problems on the v6 that if you take off your speed limiter it won't handle? Heard a rumor that it was fixed for any 13-14 mustangs

Sent from my iPhone
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Nope it's still the same horrible 2 piece, just snag yourself a solid one piece from AM, and save yourself before doing extreme mods

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man. I'm guna get it before I do any extreme things to my car

Sent from my iPhone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It's not a guarantee that it will fail, some still have the stock 2 piece and been up past the limiter, others completely destroyed the 2 piece. It goes down to if you want to risk it or not. I don't think anyone wants to risk it so go ahead and pick one up from American muscle.

fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknjulian View Post
It's not a guarantee that it will fail, some still have the stock 2 piece and been up past the limiter, others completely destroyed the 2 piece. It goes down to if you want to risk it or not. I don't think anyone wants to risk it so go ahead and pick one up from American muscle.

Well the limiter is set at 112-115 right? You can go past it a little while keeping the shaft intact, I've heard its guaranteed to be broken at 135+

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I
Rather not risk it and just get the one piece.. I just find it dumb how ford made the mustang show 160 when it can't go past 120 without taking the limiter off

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I believe the limiter is not for the driveshaft but for the base models tires not having a high enough speed rating. The driveshaft may play a part at 130+, but if you are going that fast, you should be reinforcing more than just the driveshaft.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Slight chance of breaking but if it does!!!!! As mentioned you need to exercise all sorts of caution at speeds.

Oh yeah, I owned a 1970 Ford Econoline with a 6 cylinder engine that showed 120 on the speedo was that false claims too?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've done 125 in mine with no mods, I believe for the 13-14 they pushed the limiter up some, it looked really bad that a focus could go faster than a mustang

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The driveshaft issue has been beaten to death. There were two videos of it happening and it circulated like wildfire.

The speed limiter was set because of the stock tires offered. The driveshaft is a weak link, but if you research the videos you'll find they had previous issues before the failure happened that they ignored.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I hit 135+ in mine with the stock drive shaft and 3.55 gears. No issues at all, but I wouldn't recommend it. This was before I knew there was a problem with the driveshaft failing. Haven't gone that fast since I found out.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
If you plan on driving high speed (safer) AND want better performance and slightly better MPG (less rotational mass), get an aluminum one-piece driveshaft. I just ordered one for my GT from Shaftmasters.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
I
Rather not risk it and just get the one piece.. I just find it dumb how ford made the mustang show 160 when it can't go past 120 without taking the limiter off

Sent from my iPhone
The 160 speedo gives the instrument cluster some class lol. I'm glad ford did it for the v6. The v6 use to get a less numbered speedo in the past. I remember my 88gt had the 85mph speedo I would peg it out by the end of 2nd gear with 2.73s. Made the car looker faster though

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts14fp6 View Post
I've done 125 in mine with no mods, I believe for the 13-14 they pushed the limiter up some, it looked really bad that a focus could go faster than a mustang

My car is a 14 v6 manual and it's stops @ 112-113 with more to go in 3rd gear

Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The driveshaft issue has been beaten to death. There were two videos of it happening and it circulated like wildfire.

The speed limiter was set because of the stock tires offered. The driveshaft is a weak link, but if you research the videos you'll find they had previous issues before the failure happened that they ignored.

Totally agree, plus with the stock suspension and tires I wouldn't want to go much faster than 115mph the car just doesn't feel really tight over 100 mph

Old 12-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Totally agree, plus with the stock suspension and tires I wouldn't want to go much faster than 115mph the car just doesn't feel really tight over 100 mph

I've done 140 on the stock driveshaft and a set of meh Falken tires. It gets very sketchy very quickly. I didn't feel any vibrations but I could feel the tires weren't going to take much more so I backed off and have never gone that fast again.

I would trust my Mickey Thompsons for that speed easily, but I don't think I'll be doing that on a public road again.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Driveshaft problem

I hit 152 with my stock Driveshaft no problem.

Now that I have to deal with 4 tickets under my belt, I can't even see my self going over the speed limit. Public streets are to go from place A to place B, drag strips are made to go to Place A to Place B as fast as possible. Auto X is to go to place A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y X Z & back without messing up or making a wrong turn.

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
Road Trip!

I've hit 140 on a stock driveshaft, No weird sounds, But I wouldn't risk it.

I took my aluminum one piece up to 147 and then stopped due to a curve, You'd feel more confident like that knowing it won't snap any second now =P
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

- Aftermarket driveshaft.
- Remove limiter.
- Add 3.73 gears.
The car's top speed and max rpms right before redline in 6th will be almost perfectly matched at 150mph.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

I'll have to disagree with your reasoning for the speed limiter because of the tires. The V6's with the performance pack came with high speed/performance 19 inch tires and they had the same speed limiter on them as the non performance pack option.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have been 140 mph with my factory 17 inch Michelin T rated tires and my one piece aluminum driveshaft.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Two piece driveshaft could easily be a weak link but among other things its not the weakest. Just pick up a one piece D/S for peace of mind if you intend to go that fast.. I recommend shaftmasters if they offer one that works for your setup. Thats what I run and I love it. No more clunkiness and a much more responsive feel. No need to spend 700+
Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'll have to disagree with your reasoning for the speed limiter because of the tires. The V6's with the performance pack came with high speed/performance 19 inch tires and they had the same speed limiter on them as the non performance pack option.

Most of the time the factory limiter is set based on the limitations of the factory tires. I'ts likely that Ford didnt want to make a different calibration for each V6 based on tires and just has 1 "Master calibration," transmissions and gear ratios aside.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

*double post deleted*
Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyo1021 View Post
Two piece driveshaft could easily be a weak link but among other things its not the weakest. Just pick up a one piece D/S for peace of mind if you intend to go that fast.. I recommend shaftmasters if they offer one that works for your setup. Thats what I run and I love it. No more clunkiness and a much more responsive feel. No need to spend 700+
Shaftmasters doesn't offer a DS for the 2011-14 V6 anymore after some issues they had with theirs.

I would recommend Dyno tech or Driveshaft shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Most of the time the factory limiter is set based on the limitations of the factory tires. I'ts likely that Ford didnt want to make a different calibration for each V6 based on tires and just has 1 "Master calibration," transmissions and gear ratios aside.
Exactly.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
[QUOTE=JoeyM91;2136000]Shaftmasters doesn't offer a DS for the 2011-14 V6 anymore after some issues they had with theirs.

Ahh I didn't realize they didn't offer one. I didn't bother to check lol I just know I'm happy with mine.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Shaftmasters doesn't offer a DS for the 2011-14 V6 anymore after some issues they had with theirs.

Exactly.

DSS is a little sketchy sometimes...I've been to their shop and had one of their customer service reps lie straight up...I won't do business with them.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed14GT500 View Post
DSS is a little sketchy sometimes...I've been to their shop and had one of their customer service reps lie straight up...I won't do business with them.

Well one rep doesn't necessarily equate to a sketchy company. Unless there's more to that story.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Well one rep doesn't necessarily equate to a sketchy company. Unless there's more to that story.

I agree...that's why I said at times DSS can be sketchy and I won't do business with them. There is more to the story, but not for this forum.

EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang