PC Can't Find New SCT X4 Tuner! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Question PC Can't Find New SCT X4 Tuner!

I just got my SCT X4 tuner from MPT and the tunes should arrive next Wednesday. I downloaded the update program from SCT's website and installed it on my Window 7 Home laptop. No problem with the installation. The program got a couple of updates for itself and installed them along with new drivers. I connected the tuner to the laptop to get power and had the tuner connect to my WiFi to check for any updates and it was up to date. I opened the SCT update program and clicked on the Automatic Updates per the instructions and the software says it can't find the tuner. This means that when I get my tunes from MPT, I won't be able to transfer them to the tuner! When I open Windows Explorer, it doesn't show the tuner either. Typically when I connect anything to my USB, I can see it in Windows Explorer. Anyone have and ideas or tips? Am I missing something? I did a search on the forum, but had no luck with that either. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Have you tried a different USB slot on your PC? Sometimes that does the trick. Or restarting your PC?

Edit: I JUST got my SCT X4 tuner in the mail about 5 minutes ago. I downloaded the SCT Device Updater (before plugging in my device) and opened it. Program updated itself. Then I clicked Automatically Check for Updates and it found my device/installed drivers and is currently loading the Firmware.

I do NOT see it in Windows Explorer. So it may very well not ever make an appearance there. I'm assuming you followed the directions on the SCT manual. I just read through them and followed step by step. It's currently working/updating for me.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Have you tried a different USB slot on your PC? Sometimes that does the trick. Or restarting your PC?

Edit: I JUST got my SCT X4 tuner in the mail about 5 minutes ago. I downloaded the SCT Device Updater (before plugging in my device) and opened it. Program updated itself. Then I clicked Automatically Check for Updates and it found my device/installed drivers and is currently loading the Firmware.

I do NOT see it in Windows Explorer. So it may very well not ever make an appearance there. I'm assuming you followed the directions on the SCT manual. I just read through them and followed step by step. It's currently working/updating for me.
I always reboot after I install new software or drivers. I did exactly as you did when you got your tuner in the exact order. I will attempt a different USB slot on my Laptop and try to attempt the same procedure on my Windows Vista PC in my office when I get home. Man, I hate when s*** like this happens.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I always reboot after I install new software or drivers. I did exactly as you did when you got your tuner in the exact order. I will attempt a different USB slot on my Laptop and try to attempt the same procedure on my Windows Vista PC in my office when I get home. Man, I hate when s*** like this happens.
It has happened to me before. Force shut the program (via task manager) and then see its going to recognize your x4. Try clicking on load custom tunes a few times (each time you quit the software).

Or better yet: reinstall sct software. This did the trick for me.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think on mpt website there is a step by step instruction.
Btw I can't use Mac for this programmer right?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Update: Got It To Work!

Installed the update software on my Windows Vista PC and connected the tuner to the USB port and got the "installing drivers for your device" dialog and it worked perfectly. I'll try the usual USB port I use on the Laptop and that should take care of the laptop issue. Don't know why I used the other USB port, brain fart syndrome I guess, but I'll try that and let ya know. Now I just gotta wait for the MPT tunes to arrive. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. I love this forum, the help from everyone is just awesome

Remember this one? " I want my MTV".
Now it's "I want my MPT", yeah baby!

Update: the other USB port worked on my laptop, good to go!
Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Installed the update software on my Windows Vista PC and connected the tuner to the USB port and got the "installing drivers for your device" dialog and it worked perfectly. I'll try the usual USB port I use on the Laptop and that should take care of the laptop issue. Don't know why I used the other USB port, brain fart syndrome I guess, but I'll try that and let ya know. Now I just gotta wait for the MPT tunes to arrive. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. I love this forum, the help from everyone is just awesome

Remember this one? " I want my MTV".
Now it's "I want my MPT", yeah baby!

Update: the other USB port worked on my laptop, good to go!
Thanks again.
Anytime man. Shiet like that mostly happens when your USB drivers are not installed. A good way to avoid that is to instal the SCT software first and then plug in your x4, this way windows will already have pre configured drivers on hand.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Anytime man. Shiet like that mostly happens when your USB drivers are not installed. A good way to avoid that is to instal the SCT software first and then plug in your x4, this way windows will already have pre configured drivers on hand.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
I did install the program first with the drivers, I just needed to use another USB port. It's all good and thanks again
Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Can you use a Mac?

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts14fp6 View Post
Can you use a Mac?

No need, as I said, I used a different USB port and all is good
Old 12-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The problem I had was the program version on MPT website was out of date. After installing the same program from sctflash.com it worked fine. Hopefully this will save some people an hour or 2 of frustration. Glad you got yours working!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4288 View Post
The problem I had was the program version on MPT website was out of date. After installing the same program from sctflash.com it worked fine. Hopefully this will save some people an hour or 2 of frustration. Glad you got yours working!

I got my updates from SCT, so I knew I had the latest, it was basically a brain fart on my part as far a the USB port was concerned. My MPT tunes came last night, but I have to wait till Saturday morning after I go to the dealer for my oil change to load up a new tune. This will be my first time ever, so I can't wait to see what happens.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got my updates from SCT, so I knew I had the latest, it was basically a brain fart on my part as far a the USB port was concerned. My MPT tunes came last night, but I have to wait till Saturday morning after I go to the dealer for my oil change to load up a new tune. This will be my first time ever, so I can't wait to see what happens.
I'm pretty sure you're going to be okay with a tune if you're 'just' going in for a oil change. They don't touch your ecu during inspection, moreover you can return it back to stock if you want. My car has always had a tune loaded onto it each time I have gone to a dealership for service.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I can't wait to try them out. They emailed me today and said my tunes were ready but I was missing a # in the SN#. Haha of course I would accidentally leave ONE # out! I really hope they are able to correct and send them today!!

Old 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're going to be okay with a tune if you're 'just' going in for a oil change. They don't touch your ecu during inspection, moreover you can return it back to stock if you want. My car has always had a tune loaded onto it each time I have gone to a dealership for service.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
OK, sounds like a plan, I may load a tune up when I get home from work in a few hours. Any idea when dealers typically would touch the ECU?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Whenever you're asking for Warranty work is my guess. I'm hoping to never have to find out! Lets hope for many more miles without problems to come.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Whenever you're asking for Warranty work is my guess. I'm hoping to never have to find out! Lets hope for many more miles without problems to come.
Fair enough, that's my feeling as well.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have a leak from my rear axle and the suspension in the front is squeaking. I just tuned mine. Would there be any issue taking it in for warranty work? I will def return it to stock first.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

They will touch your ECU if your warranty work is related to drivetrain or engine, since a tune will most likely to change parameters associated with these two.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
They will touch your ECU if your warranty work is related to drivetrain or engine, since a tune will most likely to change parameters associated with these two.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Guess I don't have to wait until Saturday
Old 12-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I can't think of a reason why they would touch your computer if you go in for a broken shock or brakes for that matter

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
I can't think of a reason why they would touch your computer if you go in for a broken shock or brakes for that matter

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Just going in for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation. I got a package of 6 oil changes for $196 when I bought the car at the dealer. Should be good to go.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I got them to throw in oil changes / tire rotations / inspections for life of the vehicle
Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So I'm good on suspension but what about rear axle leak?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang