Muffler Swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Muffler Swap?

So I'm considering buying a pair of mufflers to put on my 2013 V6, but I'm not that well informed on exactly what I need. So forgive me if these sound like elementary questions, but you gotta learn somehow.

A) If I buy mufflers and exhaust tips, is that what I want to give my Mustang a more throaty engine sound? Or do I absolutely have to install new pipes and/or headers? Its not that I don't want to do all that but I'm trying to get this done on a reasonable budget.

B) Is this a bolt-on type of project or more complicated than that?

C) With an otherwise stock model would it even make that much of a noticeable difference to add new mufflers, or should I focus on something like a cold-air intake first?

Also for the record, mine is a 2013 V6 Automatic. And I love the Deep Impact Blue on this thing

Thanks Guys
lesterd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A) yes that will change your entire sound. Of course headers, pipes, and an intake will for sure help but mufflers are a great start. I personally have a cold air intake with flow masters and everything else stock and it sounds great.

B) it is a weld on project. By the sound of it you would need to take it to the shop. I got mine done for 80$. If you know how to use a welder and can lift your car up to do it by all means go for it but I'm in college and couldint do all that so the shop did it for me in a couple hours.

C) I would go for the mufflers before the intake but that is a personal preference. You should do both but whichever you do first really does not matter. My old mustang I did the intake first and then the mufflers. This new mustang I have I actually did the mufflers first and then the intake. It's all the same thing in my opinion. These are just opinions though. People might say otherwise but that's from my actual personal experience and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterd88 View Post
So I'm considering buying a pair of mufflers to put on my 2013 V6, but I'm not that well informed on exactly what I need. So forgive me if these sound like elementary questions, but you gotta learn somehow.

A) If I buy mufflers and exhaust tips, is that what I want to give my Mustang a more throaty engine sound? Or do I absolutely have to install new pipes and/or headers? Its not that I don't want to do all that but I'm trying to get this done on a reasonable budget.

B) Is this a bolt-on type of project or more complicated than that?

C) With an otherwise stock model would it even make that much of a noticeable difference to add new mufflers, or should I focus on something like a cold-air intake first?

Also for the record, mine is a 2013 V6 Automatic. And I love the Deep Impact Blue on this thing

Thanks Guys

If you're looking for sound on a budget, start with a set of axle back mufflers. This is a bolt on project you can easily do yourself with limited hand tools and minimal mechanical knowledge. It does not need to be a weld on project. The biggest place people get stuck on is removing the stock mufflers. There are metal clips welded in that hold the factory mufflers on. All you need to do is either cut through them or snap them by working them with a screwdriver. You could probably swap them in an hour, longer if not real experienced with simple car repairs. As far as the sound you are looking for, that's a whole discussion in its own as far as what mufflers you buy. Search the forum, there are many threads discussing brands and types, as well as watching YouTube videos.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cool good info. I've been looking at Flowmasters but curious what suggestions are out there. I don't want it to be too loud I really just want it to have that deep rumble more than anything.

lesterd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Muffler Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterd88 View Post
Cool good info. I've been looking at Flowmasters but curious what suggestions are out there. I don't want it to be too loud I really just want it to have that deep rumble more than anything.

There are plenty threads out here, just do some searching. Maybe search from your computer, that seems to work better than searching from the mobile app. Most people will tell you what they have is best, rather than what meets what you are looking for. With that being said, if you are looking for not too loud but deep, my Magnaflow Streets fit the bill. I also believe the Borla Touring would fit the bill. Both include the tips.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

American muscle website has a lot of sound clip so you can compare with.
Also I doubt that you will want a tip to be weld on if you buy some major brand axle back.

sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
For not going to loud you have the Magnaflow Street Series which do sound good, Borla Touring which I have on mine, but the headers and FRPP X-Pipe give it a different sound, FRPP Touring which is about the same note as the Borla Tourings and you can also go to an 11-14 GT500 and modify them to fit (requires cutting your inlet tubes off and welding them on the GT500 mufflers). Even finding a set of stock Manual trans mufflers would make it louder than the stock Automatic Mufflers.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I like anything that is basically a straight pipe. Sounds like a gtr or some expensive exotic. Its also the best way to get more sound out of your car without having to mess with the cats and other stuff like that.
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Read the sticky up top. That's the best place to start.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'll also suggest swapping out with ones from a manual V6 they have differant mufflers. I sold mine to Vig who is now selling them again. You should be able to get them cheap but shipping will be expensive so it needs to be semi-local. I swapped mine out for a set of Bassani's which I like.

easy peasy swap out and a great start to modding it is one of the better addictions out there.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'll also suggest swapping out with ones from a manual V6 they have differant mufflers. I sold mine to Vig who is now selling them again. You should be able to get them cheap but shipping will be expensive so it needs to be semi-local. I swapped mine out for a set of Bassani's which I like.

easy peasy swap out and a great start to modding it is one of the better addictions out there.

How is the manual v6's mufflers different?
Old 12-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
How is the manual v6's mufflers different?
They sound a tad more aggressive

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Like Natestang and strangemud said, they're a tad more aggressive. I went from the automatic version to the manual version and was really pleased with the results.

I then stumbled upon Borla S-Type axlebacks on Craigslist for a great price.

I posted a pic of the automatic vs manual side by side somewhere on here. The manual version looks better than the automatic also.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The auto looks like the tips were put on top of the pipe right?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had no idea that the manual was any different in terms of sound and I previously had an '11 manual before my current '13 auto. I guess I was paying more attention the the intake sound.

JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #16
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the thread.

Stock 13 v6 exhaust
Old 12-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22 View Post
I had no idea that the manual was any different in terms of sound and I previously had an '11 manual before my current '13 auto. I guess I was paying more attention the the intake sound.

It is somewhat noticeable on youtube videos

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #18
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
It is somewhat noticeable on youtube videos

Annnnnnnd here's my YouTube link lol.

http://youtu.be/kYrF7wIB6wI
Old 12-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
VIG: I like the tone of those!
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! This was just after I took the auto axle-backs out and replaced them with the manual version. I was nothing but pleased with that.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
They sound pretty good with Short tubes also.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang